New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go above 60 my steering wheel will begin to shake, but it won't stay constant. Today I was driving home a long straight section, doing about 65. my wheel started shaking, a lot, but then it would just fade away and become firm. Couple seconds later, it would begin to shake again. I think I might need an alignment cuz the car drifts to the right when I hold the wheel straight, but I'm thinking it could be something else. Also, when I back out of my driveway in the morning and start accelerating down the street, the steering wheel slowly shakes, as if everything I'm driving over is being transferred to the wheel. ?

Mike

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Check your tires..My minivan did the same thing. I had new tires put on and it was fine..

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
If you've got aftermarket wheels, you may also need Hubcentric rings. My Cougar drove like crap when I first put my wheels on. I aligned it, re-balanced the wheels, and then finally realized what I had forgotten. Ugh. Shaking is gone now, with the rings, though.

E1

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you are still on the factory tires that might be the problem.. Mine was doing that too until i changed them. The rubber was actually hardened cause they lasted too long.

·
Registered
220 Posts
alignment is what u need, unless u have snow buildup...either or

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
alignment wont cause your car to shake just move left or right

sounds like your tires are out of balance. simple and easy to fix and cheap too. i would get that checked out first

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i have stock wheels, but the tires are maybe a year old. I think it's the tires...I'm not gonna worry about then cuz most likely I'll be getting new wheels/tires this spring.

Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
could also be a cracked rim. one of my aftermarket rims cracked from my old rims and my steering wheel shook terrible, it was like a massage, but a ****ty one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts