New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't place this noise....

It sounds JUST like a CV joint going out, except that it is coming from one of the 2 rear wheels... Clicking speed varies according to speed.

I thought at first that it might be a bad wheel bearing, but after searching, I found that that was more of a rubbing noise.

The loudness of the noise increases slightly when I apply brakes. Can't really hear it above 40 MPH because of road noise.

when I spin the left wheel bearing (no wheel mounted), it makes a very slight clicking noise, while the other side spins 'freely'.

It has drum brakes.

Any help please?

Thanks,
Darcy

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sounds like its time for new shoes and hardware. It's possible in drum brake setups to have a spring break and get wedged into the pad in the shoe. Odds are though that it is just a worn out shoe and the rivets that hold them on are scraping the drum. When they get worn down enough the remaining pad material can break up and drag constantly on the drum, and when you hit the brakes, you are pushing the metal shoe into the drum, and thus making the noise louder. You should be able to get the brakes checked out for free at a chain service center whether they to the work or not. Just look around.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

Doing the brakes right now. The pads look good. Plenty of wear left. All springs intact.

Could Ford have made it ANY more difficult to do the rear drums? All those springs are a real pain in the butt!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Welcome to the joys of drum brakes. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts