New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm pretty sure that it is my wheel bearings, after all it was 10k miles that they were replaced. When I'm driving I get a whirring sound, like someone is blowing in a bottle. It changes pitch with speeds and is loudest at 25-30mph, and 45-50 mph. If I turn off the car it is still there. Sound like em? If I buy the new hub assemblies are the bearings already pressed in? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Easy way to tell if it's your bearings: While you're cruising, jerk the wheel quickly in the same direction as sound is coming from- i.e. shift the vehicle's weight off the offending wheel. Obviously you'll want to be safe about this... If the sound goes away for the second that the weight is off that wheel, then it's most likely the bearing.

S

·
0 Posts
i had to get my bearings replaced on my right front tire and before I took it to the shop it sounded like a rubbing grinding sound the guy at the shop said if I were to drive another mile my while would of came completely off, I would not recommend on jerking your wheel at all take it to a shop and have it checked out!It was right after I got my 18 inch rims on my coug and it costed me 495 to fix!!
While you're cruising, jerk the wheel quickly in the same direction as sound is coming from

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I did the jerk trick and it stoped for that time, so I'll have to get me some new hubs. Might as well do both of them at one time, but I think it's my front left.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, just making sure of this. When I jerk the wheel to the right the noise stops. Does that meen it's the right wheel bearing? For some reason I cant seem to decide on the left or right. Thanks.

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
Yeah. When you turn right, all the weight goes onto the left side tires. The right side quiets down because there's hardly no weight on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts