·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Kancamagus has been on my radar for years now. Definitely need to hit it before I move any further west.
The best day I ever had in my Cougar was the day I drove the Killington twist in Vermont...A Kangamagus/Mt Washington/Killington weekend would be epic.
The Killington Twist
Maybe I can do that in fall of 2018...Columbus day weekend should provide some pretty intense foliage gazing...and traffic:(

Reactions: wadespencer99

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have early plans gestating to hit the three highest paved roads in North America in two days, maybe next summer if the car is ready, or maybe summer of 2019 if not.
I need a cool name for the trip..."Heavenly trinity" or "Mile high madness" or something along those lines. This trip really needs to happen in July or August to be sure all three will be passable.

Mount Evans Scenic Byway
Pikes Peak
Trail Ridge Road

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like a great road!
One could easily spend a week driving all the great roads in that region (VA, WV, NC, TN) and still not hit them all.

I'm planning to do the Tail of the Dragon, or at least the claimed "Ohio Cousin of The Tail of the Dragon" in October. I would also like to the drive Highway 1 along the cost of California at some point.

Tail of the Dragon
Ohio Cousin of The Tail of the Dragon

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,797 Posts
The FIAT club just did a Triple-Nickel run a few weeks ago; I was out of town at the time, but I would love to have gone along.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
The FIAT club just did a Triple-Nickel run a few weeks ago; I was out of town at the time, but I would love to have gone along.
Oh man, I think I have a new game plan for my October epic road trip. Instead of spending most of my day just driving down and back to North Carolina, I think I'll just stay in Ohio. I can take the Tripple-Nickel(RT555) down to the river, shot over to The Cousin of the Tail of the Dragon(Rt536) as it will only be an hour away. Then ride it all back.

Reactions: mmc757

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
I have early plans gestating to hit the three highest paved roads in North America in two days, maybe next summer if the car is ready, or maybe summer of 2019 if not.
I need a cool name for the trip..."Heavenly trinity" or "Mile high madness" or something along those lines. This trip really needs to happen in July or August to be sure all three will be passable.

Mount Evans Scenic Byway
Pikes Peak
Trail Ridge Road
While doing this you should go up Mt Evans, then down and go west on I70, get off at US6 and go over Loveland Pass down to Silverthorn where you take CO9 (boring stretch but good views and little traffic) to Kremling, jump on US40 over to Granby where you can start on US34 to trail ridge road. Then go down into Estes Park (stop at the Estes Park brewing company for some beer and food), and come down 7 to 72 into Golden.

Edit: Google Map route.

edit 2: Edited with the final leg between Mt Evans and Morrison.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking a North to south plan...
Start in Estes Park, hit the TRR the first morning, Mt Evans in the afternoon, probably overnight in or near Morrison (one of my favorite places on earth), if I plan it right, I might catch something at Bandimere or Red Rocks that night, quick trip through RR park the next morning, then head south on 67 to catch PP around lunchtime. Ive got some property in South Park that I may head to after PP to camp for the night.
The biggest problem I have with this trip is that I have quite a bit of family in the area, so everytime I make a CO trip I get guilt tripped into spending every free moment visiting and rarely get time to enjoy the trip.

While doing this you should go up Mt Evans, then down and go west on I70, get off at US6 and go over Loveland Pass down to Silverthorn where you take CO9 (boring stretch but good views and little traffic) to Kremling, jump on US40 over to Granby where you can start on US34 to trail ridge road. Then go down into Estes Park (stop at the Estes Park brewing company for some beer and food), and come down 7 to 72 into Golden.

Edit: Google Map route.

edit 2: there is a better way to get to Mt Evans than I70 which I will add tomorrow morning.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
I was thinking a North to south plan...
Start in Estes Park, hit the TRR the first morning, Mt Evans in the afternoon, probably overnight in or near Morrison (one of my favorite places on earth), if I plan it right, I might catch something at Bandimere or Red Rocks that night, quick trip through RR park the next morning, then head south on 67 to catch PP around lunchtime. Ive got some property in South Park that I may head to after PP to camp for the night.
The biggest problem I have with this trip is that I have quite a bit of family in the area, so everytime I make a CO trip I get guilt tripped into spending every free moment visiting and rarely get time to enjoy the trip.
Are you originally from out here or just have a bunch of family out here? I live in Morrison (well, south on 285 closer to Aspen Park but Morrison zip code) currently, if you had the trip planned far enough in advance I could probably get at least a few of the local 3S guys to do that cruise as well as an "official meet" (we do a Mt Evans cruise once a year anyways), then you can just tell your family you have plans. Lol.

Going from north to south works just as well and is better anyways if you wanted to hit PP last.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grew up in Lakewood/Wheat ridge/Arvada, left for the Navy when I turned 18 and have only been back for visits since.
As a teenager I was too busy looking for offroading experiences to appreciate the available on-road oppoortunities in the area.
My siblings and a lot of extended family still live there, parents moved to AZ.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
Nice. There is definitely no shortage of offroad opportunities out here. We lived in Arvada for 2 years when we first moved out here from Ky before we moved to a Morrison.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I drove it in a Nissan pickup, but the Kancamagus highway is a beautiful blast.

Kancamagus Highway - Attractions and Map
Kancamagus has been on my radar for years now. Definitely need to hit it before I move any further west.
The best day I ever had in my Cougar was the day I drove the Killington twist in Vermont...A Kangamagus/Mt Washington/Killington weekend would be epic.
The Killington Twist
Maybe I can do that in fall of 2018...Columbus day weekend should provide some pretty intense foliage gazing...and traffic:(
You guys make me glad I live in New Hampshire.

·
Registered
814 Posts
'cause I am as old as a dinosaur, I have driven a number of great roads or memorable roads that became memorable for very different reasons. First, these are not roads that were twisty and full of excitement because I get that on track. These are roads that are forever stuck in my memory.

The best one is the Old Tamiami Trail Road from Miami to Marco Island. First time I drove it, I left Miami at 9:30 at night and drove that old 2 lane highway through the middle of the Everglades at night. I had a sunroof rental car, so I popped open the sunroof, opened all the windows and turned off the radio and listened and smelt the swamp at night. Complete sensory overload and the best drive I have ever experienced. You have to do it.

The second drive was in a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang I had just purchased in Saskatoon and then driving it back to Toronto. Amazing experience from covering the distance from Regina to Winnipeg in just over 4 hours, foot to the floor in 4th, stopping once for fuel and feeling that motor pull hard to 6,500 rpm then drag limit itself at about 150. Also, getting arrested in Northern Ontario for potential car theft and getting released with the demand to get a Trip permit the next morning and staying at some sleazy hotel with a one armed stripper.... and there were many more exciting things on that trip.

The third is a lot more mundane, but way better at blowing my mind. Heading down from Vancouver to Portland in a rental Contour with my buddy Derek. realizing that the wear grooves on the I-5 below Tacoma, were so deep you could take your hands off the steering wheel and the car would drive itself. When you hit a corner it would start to climb out, then fall back into the groove. We decided to see how far we could go and we made almost 10 miles. Lots of hooting and hollering during that stretch. Totally mind blowing.

The fourth was the drive from Melbourne to Phillip Island to see koala bears. The roads were mint, winding through Dr. Seuss style trees, seeing familiar but yet different sights along the way. Super hot with a wind that felt like a hair dryer being blown in your face from the wind coming in from the desert. Giant earthworm signs, a road that was perfectly smooth and almost artificially well kept. Finally creeping along through a eucalyptus forest and seeing those little things that reminded me so much of racoons with prettier faces. We then drove on to the Phillip Island race track to see the facility and it was by far the most beautiful track I have ever been on.

The last for now was the boring drive from Toronto to Montreal back in 1991 for my first race driving in a Support race for the Montreal F1 Grand Prix. I had to work late, so the crew had already hauled the car down to the track and were set up. I had to get there quick as I landed in Toronto from Europe at about 8 pm, and my first on track was 8 the next morning. Raced home, loaded up my gear, battled through Toronto traffic and once I cleared about Oshawa, foot to the floor. Again it was a warm night and I had just got my new Passat. Rolled down the windows, opened the roof and cranked up the stereo. It was just flat out dicing through cars, scrabbling around corners at a buck 20 and letting that car do its autobahn thing. Yes I was young and stupid, but it was glorious. One stop for fuel and the trip took just over 4 hours. Glorious, glorious drive. The way driving should be.

I have many many more from the deserts in California and travelling through the Rockies to being crushed in traffic in Soeul Korea, but I have learned that its not so much the act of driving or the car that's key, but the experience and the people you are with that makes it all of value.

Eric

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just to add to the Tamiami Road story. Imagine driving along just after dusk. You haven't seen another car on the road for about 15 minutes. A sign comes up that says watch out for Everglade Panthers... WTF PANTHERS!!!!!! I thought I only had to watch out for gators, not freakin' Panthers.

So of course being an idiot I stop the car go over to the ditch and in the beam from the headlights, I see about a gazillion beady little red eye reflections looking back at me from the drainage ditches alongside the highway. There were hundreds of gators in the ditches. Nope, nope, nope and NOPE. Scrambled back into the car and just sat and listened to the chirps, buzzes and squeeks of the Everglades at night. Just wondrous and really awe inspiring.

Remember, this was before cell phones so if the car broke down, I was going to have to sit in it until the next car came along.

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I think I'm making a Kancamagus and Mt. Washington trip on 9/28.
As long as the weather looks good, I'm shooting for it anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two roads checked off the list!

Made the Kancamagus and Mt Washignton trip yesterday.

The Kanc was a bit of a let down. It would be ideal as a tree gazing road or for casual hiking. Its a mellow, leisurely road you can take your grandma on, just not what I was looking for. I will freely say that if you ever want to make a New England fall tree gazing trip, you couldnt pick a better spot.

Mt. Washington was very cool. The road itself is very nice for the most part, and the touristy stuff at the peak is just right. Well worth the trip, definitely recommend if youre in the area. Just be aware of the weather and make sure you pick a great day. Also make sure you check the website and understand the cost...its not a cheap road to drive on
Vehicle Car Ford cougar Yellow Landscape
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Luxury vehicle
Vehicle Geological phenomenon Highland Mountain Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ford cougar Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 39 Posts