New Cougar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the plastic that's all over the inside of the car like around the center console and specifically on the very back edge of the trunk? Yeah well I took the trunk plate out and tested some spray on car primer on a small area and checked on it later and every last bit of the primer dripped off and it was as clean as can be. It was like teflon coated with butter topped off with magic. I've never seen anything quite like that cuz primer sticks to just about anything. Is there some sort of synthetic polymer coating or wax on it or is the plastic just like that? Cuz I'd really like to paint it instead of putting fabric on it or something. Has anyone had success sanding it or trying to strip off the no stick coating (if it has one) with chemicals or something or is there a better paint to use on it?

·
Administrator
15,567 Posts
You just need to sand it first. Scuff it up, then wipe it down with a good wax and grease remover to get any grease or residue from your fingers off, then paint. It should stick fine.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,814 Posts
Check on that Krylon FUSION™ paint; it's specifically designed to bond with plastics.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just need to sand it first. Scuff it up, then wipe it down with a good wax and grease remover to get any grease or residue from your fingers off, then paint. It should stick fine.
so is that to break the surface smoothness or remove a coating on it? Cuz I gotta know what the point is so I know how well to sand it and with what grit and high grit would rough it up more and low grit would remove coating better

·
Administrator
15,567 Posts
There isn't a coating on it..it's just shiny. Paint won't stick well to anything that is smooth and shiny like that. There is also probably a build up of silicone (armor-all, etc) on it even if you haven't put it on lately. That stuff will make the paint run right off.

If I was going to paint my interior, I would first wash all the pieces really well with soapy water, rinse them, and dry them off. Sand of scuff them until the glossiness is gone, then wipe them down with a good prep solvent...some sort of wax, grease and oil remover. Don't touch them with your fingers after that! I'd use the paint that B3NN3TT mentioned.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will use that stuff cuz it sounds awesome but then would I not prime it since it has to touch the plastic?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ya you can get away with out hte primer with that paint.

PS resist the urge to paint the dash anything bright or shiny.

·
Administrator
15,567 Posts
I've used that paint before. The A, B, and C pillars on the interior of my wife's Focus were really faded and nasty looking when I bought it. I used the light grey color and it looks damn near factory. It still looks great after 4 years or so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you guys know I'm only working on the trunk :p I'm not brave enough to paint my dash lol. Btw I sanded one area pretty well on the plastic thingy and then hit it with some acetone then Dawn which dissolves just about everything greasy and sticky :biggrin: and the primer and two other types of paint I have slid right off it! Not quite as much as last time but still enough to make it look awful. That stuff is insane. The surface wasn't even shiny anymore! If anything else like tape stuck to it, I'd find something adhesive and wrap it around it then paint that but I noticed it's somehow tape proof too. Painter's tape doesn't fall off of just anything. I think the plastic's cursed. The best I can come up with is coating in it clay and that's just stupid lol. Maybe I'll try again and sand it even rougher.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Erm.

I painted a good number of interior pieces and I never had any problems getting the primer to stick. Are you using cheap paint? That can have a big effect on the results. When you're doing something like this it doesnt hurt to spend a few more dollars. It will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
naw, I was using Rustoleum paint and primer made especially for cars that I had left over from re-painting my brother's Kia's dust caps that were rusty as hell. I just found out I have precisely enough furry black fabric left to cover it and that's a coincidence I just can't pass up. But first I'm testing how well my Elmers Ultimate sticks to it.
Check out the Elmers Ultimate Page if you've never heard of the stuff :tongue: and make sure you have the speakers turned on! Oh and when they say "When polyurethane glue has dried it becomes resistant to all chemicals and solvents. The only removal process available for that product is sanding or scraping." they aren't kidding. After 3 days I had to sand it off my fingers. Wear gloves if you're going to use it.

I'm almost definitely going to re-paint the housing for the trunk light though cuz that will be one of the only gray things left so I'll have to hit the hardware store tomorrow and do some shopping for the recommended paints and bonder helpers

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
dawn dish soap would be tough to get off, and glycerin doesn't promote adhesion very well. sand it with a heavy grit and then just clean it with a very light bit of soap and blistering hot water. then i would def go with the krylon paint. it has been proven to work very well time and time again

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Accetone is a bad idea with plastics... I have a bottle of liquid plastic in my workshop that I'm using to mold a screen into my dash... Pretty neat stuff, just grind up some ABS pipe and throw it in some accetone and presto! Liquid plastic... But anyways... Guess what makes the plastic turn into liquid? ACCETONE! Accetone is an ABS solvant... And Alot of the plastics in the Cougar are ABS.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
naw, I was using Rustoleum paint and primer made especially for cars that I had left over from re-painting my brother's Kia's dust caps that were rusty as hell.
shocked no ones jumped on you yet for this... use a paint thats specifically for bonding to plastic, not metal. Your regular rustolium will not bond to plastic.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Clean with dish soap, dry well, Use duplicolor adhesion promoter. Its made to help paint bond to automotive plastics.

Thats how I did mine, no scuffing or sanding at all. Its been a year now with no runs, fading, flaking or any problems.

I did my interior with duplicolor anodized paint. The paint is metalic primer and a very light tint color ver the top to give it color.

pics are from April but it still looks that good

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Clean with dish soap, dry well, Use duplicolor adhesion promoter. Its made to help paint bond to automotive plastics.

Thats how I did mine, no scuffing or sanding at all. Its been a year now with no runs, fading, flakig or any problems.

I did my interior with duplicolor anodized paint. The paint is metalic primer and a very light tint color ver the top to give it color.

pics are from April but it still looks that good
well that sure sounds like the easiest solution lol. I think I'll go with that. At least my rustoleum worked on that fabric kinda stuff on the side walls of the trunk. It went on easy and looks great. I know duplicolor would have worked better but it's not rubbing off and it's nice and dark black so I don't really care.
I didn't pick up any paint last night at the hardware store cuz I found the magical 3M VHB tape that's 10x stronger than steel rivots and I believe holds the world record for the strongest tape based adhesive in existence. One eight inch of that stuff held up the entire plastic panel in mid air lol. Anyway I figured I could adhere the black fabric I have left to the plastic panel with the tape but it didn't work cuz the fabric was too tearable and not flat. It worked great on the flooring fabric though. So yeah, now I'm going back to the painting theory :biggrin:

Btw how did you get those air vents out to paint them blue? Did you have to take the whole dash apart or do they just pop out? (and why'd you pick blue? lol)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.