New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what would you buy for around $5000 and under. The 5K can get just for the car, or for a car and extra parts.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
a 2 thousand dollar loan and the 94 mustange gt witha procharger supercharger adn 80k miles i was looking at yesterday

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mustang is a good idea.

Looking for performance and not a long project. Basically good to go when bought but possibly add some goodies with the loan $$.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Originally posted by: Iceotron
Mustang is a good idea.

Looking for performance and not a long project. Basically good to go when bought but possibly add some goodies with the loan $$.
LT1's are cheap and easier modded... Not to mention Camaros are more HP for the $... Screw a crapstang

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,719 Posts
[flamesuit]

I'd drop $2000 on a 95 Saturn SC2 (fastest and lightest OBD1 Saturn) and $3000 on a Twistec turbo kit.

[/flamesuit]

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd drop $2000 on a 95 Saturn SC2 (fastest and lightest OBD1 Saturn) and $3000 on a Twistec turbo kit.
Actually it's funny you state that..the reason i'm posting this is b\c my buddy just wrecked his very soupped up saturn this past sunday. He's most likely gonna get another one but we were discussing his options.

He had his with the following (that I remember)

Fidanza flywheel
stock clutch (proven strong then any other except act for satty's) and his spec 2 littlerally blew apart
underdrive pulleys
racing cams
alot of custom head work done by streetdesignauto.com (they are very good friends of ours FREEBIE)
92 header
exhaust
special valves
head decked
block blueprinted
and a NX kit at 50 shot, block built to handle 100 shot tho.

He ran the car before the cams,fly,and busted spec clutch and ran a 14.8 at a 35 shot. He was VERY dissappointed that after all the new parts he never got to see what he ran. The Streetdesignauto.com car ran mid 13's and my buddies car had more stuff done and Mike (sda owner) helped us build it.

So right now he's prolly gonna get a 95 satty off auction, buy back his car and hope the block isn't cracked (front end is smashed a lady ran a red and he t-boned her). If it isn't cracked he's going to either sell it or only keep the head and build a new engine made for the twistedtek turbo and his NX kit. The tranny will be sold to Mike from SDA as he blew his apart.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
1990 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) and start the rebuild with a turbo preped 1.8L engine. Since the engine will be replaced, keep your eyes out for a non-running unit with little or no damage that you can pick up very cheap. Then drop $3,000 into the engine (forged internals, new block) and start saving for an FM turbo system.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Actually...I just got this for $5000....plus $1000 to ship....so that counts right?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice, but whats under the hood hehehe

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
i would looking into a VR4... its turboed and AWD...

Look into a GSX eclipse... also turbo AWD....

Then go 94-95 mustang gt.... 5.0's have easy parts to replace...

If you can find one though you will never break a 96-newer mustang GT... those mod motors are unbreakable!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,719 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
i would looking into a VR4... its turboed and AWD...

Look into a GSX eclipse... also turbo AWD....
Problem with those, though, is that 99.9% of them have been BEATEN MERCILESSLY. If they haven't, they will be selling for WAY more than $5K...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bennet hit the nail on the head....thats why I'm asking opinions because the "usually" role car of cars isn't orking out to well.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would have to agree with Trevor. The Miata would be a great choice. Those cars, even if beat on, will still run 150-200k miles without many problems. Plus, the level of performance you get bone stock is exceptional and it's easily increased with only a couple thousand more put into it.

Either that or stick with the cheap and abundant Mustang or F-body. Either one will provide a good deal of fun stock and are cheap and easy to improve upon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts