New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In AFR? Prior to my last dyno tuning session my nitrous kit was tuned by jets only, since I and the tuner thought it would be easier and more effecient to tune it this way. I believe my AFR was around 12.9 ish across the boards with it gradually richening up on the top end. After that day I didnt really touch anything. The occasional ECU resets because I drained my battery on accident or reset my ECU for a new mod. During the course of time I installed a Max Extrude Honed UIM and SVT TB. I reset the ecu and went out my merry way. After installing my wideband kit, I never did a nitrous run until I got up to Cougarfest. After a bout of bad gas before running with a full tank at the strip I noticed my AFRs , which were around 10.8:1 on start of spray, and gradually richening up more to 9.6 ish range sometimes even 8.8
So when I get back home and decide to tinker around a little bit I remove my nitrous and fuel jets. I notice my nitrous jet is for a 65 hp Zex setting and my fuel was set for a MUCH higher rating. For those that are familiar with jet sizings, mine was a .035N2O and .026FUEL. I knew instantly this was an abnormally large fuel jet for the amount of nitrous that was being tossed in.

So my question is, what would cause my car to run so rich? I would think it would to be running lean? Possibly I just never noticed the car bog, because I couldnt see my AFRs? The last time I ran at the track I ran a 14.6 with a STOCK UIM and TB with this rich condition? Something just doesnt seem right.

Also, off spray my car with a reset ECU and zeroed out tables on the AFC runs a 10.8- 11.0ish : 1 ratio, and I have tuned it to around 12.8 approx. It seems now im having a problem of too much gas and not enough air.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You "believe my AFR was around 12.9 ish across the boards" how do you know this? Is that what the wideband at the dyno showed and how was this being pulled? Did they mount the sensor at the exhaust tip or in the exhaust? Could be this is how rich your car was to begin with or .... your gauge is bad or.... the placement of set gauge or.... that last run was in the middle of a cold spell and your dyno took place on a hundred degree day??? Or prehaps your car has just been running rich this whole time and end the end you just need to lean it out a little. Good Luck let me know what you find! Also, where is your current o2 wideband sensor installed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wideband bung and sensor always has been right on the test pipe, just slightly after the Y-pipe. Ive never used a sniffer to get AFRs on my car. I have MSDS headers as well, so non existent precats are probably helping my readings.

I remember my dyno being on a fairly cold day, and not its really hot down here in Atlanta, but I dont think that would be causing this :confusing;

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
8.8 AF ratio is like filling the cylinder with fuel, then blowing on it, and then trying to ignite it...

Are you sure there is an N2O in the bottle, and it's not another gas?

How does the car feel?? I'd have to assume it feels like a dog running that rich. Also, do you have any backfires? Exhaust smell like fuel? Excessive black buildup on the exhaust tip or bumper?

Basically I'm asking, is the sensor or gauge screwy, or are you really having a problem...

You should have someone light a match behind your car when driving and see if it ignites...I'm not being totally serious here of course...

I would say, recheck all N2O connections and lines i.e. at the bottle, under the car, at the solenoid (before and after), at the nozzle, at the hole in the Intake pipe, etc... Also check the N2O solenoid and make sure it's opening up 100%...

Lastly check the welds on your intake, cause you may have blown them... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.