New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to get a set of those matrix coilovers from ebay but i know nothing bout them... do i use my stock struts. is matrix good. how hard is it to install. are they okay year round. what if for some reason i want to take them off. does the handling change i would think lowering would make it better. can i lower it anytime i want how much do they lower my car. how high can i raise my car. are they bad on the other suspension parts... ball joints and such am i gonna have any probs. like i said i know nothing bout this stuff and i would really like to lower my car. any and all help appreciated
thanks all
rob
btw i have read all of the coilover links and they didnt help much. please help

·
Registered
43 Posts
To put it in a simple way...

1. You pay for what you get. That means exactly what it says.

2. Your handling will improve.

3. If you throw C/O on your car you should always replace the struts, bushing's etc. Of course it will be bad on your suspension.

Because you are running a stock setup with aftermarket "performance" part. It's like pouring 20 gallons of water in a 16 oz cup. It's not TECHNICALLY designed to do that. However, it can handle it. But it's durability mainly depends on how you drive.(How much water you pour in) If You drive you car hard it will wear out faster, if your G-Ma then it will last longer.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
i personally endorse Ground Control coilovers, because i have them and can't imagine anything being better, so i'll answer your questions using GC instead of Matrix.

How hard are they to install? You can remove the old struts and install the new ones using ordinary hand tools. The only tricky part is the decompression of the stock springs, but you can rent a spring compressor at AutoZone to help remove the stock struts. You don't need to compress the coilovers to reinstall.

Are they okay year round? Yes, especially since you can lower the car in the summer, and raise it up in the winter when you may need to clear snow.

To install GC you need to cut the stock spring perch off the strut, so unless you get new struts and modify those and keep the stockers around you can't easily go from coilovers to stock and back. In other words, you're cutting off the seat for the spring when you install GC, so you can't put the old springs back on.

You can raise and lower the car in minutes by jacking up one end of the car (front or back), unlocking the collar and spinning it to the proper height, then relocking the collar. You need to have both front wheels or both rear wheels raised at the same time because the sway bar works against you if you only raise one wheel.

Handling is definitely improved.

Oh, and you may want to check the suspension FAQ at the top of this page for more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts