New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yellow top or batcap??

i have a fairly large system in my car (check sig), and my lights dim terribly. plus i will probably be getting underbody neons in the near future, and that will be even worse. so what would you suggest that i do, get an optima yellow top battery or a batcap 800?? since both are close to the same price on ebay.

if id get the yellow top, would it be recommended to use that as a "system only" battery and mount it in the trunk, or just replace the current? my car only has 11k miles on it, so i hope a new alternator isnt in order.

G

·
ive got an Optima Yellow Top, running a huge ass system. underbody neons, tvs, and i love that battery. It stays at a constant 12 volts for a long period of time

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
This is not meant to jack your thread but when I had my 4 Audiobahn 10"s running with a second Yellow top and pushing an Earthquake Shedder (2000-3000W real power) I had no problem with dimming lights.

But as I redo my system, I'm going to 0 gauge and I'll have the Shredder and a mids & hi's amp. Plus many electronics so I thought I may add a Batcap as well. I just don't know weather to use a 300 or an 800? Only $10 difference.

To anyone else that already has a BatCap what do you think of them?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would say go with the 800 since it is only $10 difference.

thanks for the input, but what would be better to do if i only have enough $$$ for one??

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I suggest you rebuild your alternator and throw a yellow top in the trunk.

Mike

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I haven't touched my alternator!! On top of that, as I'm re-doing my system I went to the Lincoln/Mercury dealer and they told me my battery and alternator still run like they're brand new. Mind you my car has 75,000 miles on it and I've had several different systems in there for over 2 years.

All I've ever had running was the yellow top as a second battery. So do what you will, but from my experience I don't know about the BatCap but I know the Yellow Top should do you just fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have both yellow topper and a 1 farad Monster cap. I got the yellow topper first then the bass cap. I really noticed the difference with the yellow topper. So IMO go with the yellow topper I also was abel to fit the battery in just like the stock one with the stock wires and terminals.
(See pix on my cardomain page)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think im gonna throw the battery in the trunk and wired solely for the amp. extra power + a lil cockiness factor.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
hahaahahahahaha, sorry, a little off topic, but DrgZCoug, i love your avitar, very creative.

you may continue on with your normal thread....

·
Registered
91 Posts
if you don't turn it on the side...you have a possibility of the poles contacting the hood and grounding out....

have fun with a car fire and blown up everything.

·
Registered
517 Posts
if you can afford a better battery than an optima, look into the stinger sp1000, or if youre willing to modify you can do a sp1700 up front. the sp1000 is smaller than a yellow or red top and has more CCAs. if youre running a second battery make sure you add a isolating relay. from stinger its a sr200. be sure to fuse up front and after the battery in back. you should be ok with a stock alternator, but i always recomend the upgrade when adding additional batteries.
josh

·
Registered
60 Posts
ive only got a yellow top for my system (4500 watts total) yeah the flickering kinda gets annoying on long trips at night, but dont know where to post another battery, i have no trunk at all seeing as 4 15's take up the spot, is there anywhere else i could relocate, cause i have a red top that i want to throw in but i dunno where to relocate it at???

G

·
4 15's 4500 watts sounds nice Have the same set up with a red top and caps located in the hatch no problems with dimming. haven't touched the alternator yet. I would suggest keeping stock batt up front and adding the second batt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts