New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my AEM Short Ram Intake and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do next. I don't know that I want to put in an exhaust system, what else can I do? I'm talking 200-400 dollars.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
you wanting cosmetics or performance??

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
You should sit down, look at cougardb.com, and think about what direction you'd like to go with your car. Then figure out what you want to buy. No offense, but how are we supposed to know what you should do when you don't. All you say is that you have 200-400 to spend, what do you want out of the car, audio? cosmetic? performance? handling? lights?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment I could care less about cosmetics and audio, I'm only interested in performance. My mistake for not specifying that.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
hmm get rid of your reservations about an exhasut and buy a trubendz. and gut your precats when you install the exhaust... howto on gutting precats available on mc-neco.com or search the howto section on this board

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
And don't post on NECO Gen Info about what you should do to your car next. It should be in Garage Talk... This is a forum, not a church - NECO Admin told me this

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by: ProjectCougar
And don't post on NECO Gen Info about what you should do to your car next. It should be in Garage Talk... This is a forum, not a church - NECO Admin told me this
Wise Ass :banhim:

N

·
0 Posts
yeah seriously James... thats not cool dude... if you have a prob with someone PM em

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
I'd definitely go with the exhaust since you have the intake. Round out the sound to your car.

Borla if you want professional sounding grumble. With a bite when the pedal meets the floor.

Dynomax if you want good HP gains and a throaty sound.

Flowmasters if you want to sound like a Mustang and let everyone know your coming

Bombz, WeaponR...etc. if you want to annoy people :)

I have a Borla & Hi-Flow Y-Pipe, both from Trubendz and couldn't be happier with the combo. Actually, I could be happier if I had some headers in there. But this is good for now. Keep in mind when if you get the exhaust it'll probably sound exactly how you'd want. If you add the Y-pipe like me (with a removable CAT) it will change the exhausts tone a bit. It will be louder on the inside and in some cases, raspy at high RPM's/WOT. I've tried both the Dynomax and the Borla with and without my CAT in and the Borla definitely sounds better. Dynomax, and probably Flowmasters, is almost deafening at WOT needless to say it also sounds like a Cessna taking off. Borla holds it's sound nicely and isn't intrusive at highway speeds.

By adding some headers you'll change the sound again and get something deeper AND louder from all the setups.

EDIT:

Let's actually help the kid here. I don't want to prune this thread cause everyone is arguing

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by: JScullin
I'd definitely go with the exhaust since you have the intake. Round out the sound to your car.

Borla if you want professional sounding grumble. With a bite when the pedal meets the floor.

Dynomax if you want good HP gains and a throaty sound.

Flowmasters if you want to sound like a Mustang and let everyone know your coming

Bombz, WeaponR...etc. if you want to annoy people :)
WOw you have no clue what you talking about
I have a full weapon r exhaust and its deep and throaty not annoying like a weed wacker AKA a honda civic

beelieve me ihate civics with coffee can exhuast

"If i had a bullet for everytime I saw a riceburner, there wouldnt be any in my area"

·
Registered
723 Posts
My advice, take pics off of this site of the tail pipes you want, decide how loud you want it, and then find a good custom bender in the area. I had to have my Trubendz basically recut and welded at almost every joint and have it welded up to get it to hang straight. The price for my local shop to do it? $200 + muffler. At $80 for a flomaster 40 series, it would have been under $300. I spend $495 shipped on my Trubendz, and $60 to get it hung and welded.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by: JScullin
From the ones I've heard. They sound gross. Maybe it's because I heard them while the car was in park and they were an ATX. Maybe they sound different under load...

it depends what you mean by gross

if you mean like it sounds good and you puke than yes
if you mean like it makes you sick to your stomach than no

i dodnt know what trubendz sounds like but i know that weaponr doesnt sound ricey
but its doesnt sound like a v8 mustang(maybe trubendz does)

but i dont think i would want that cause making a litte v6 sound like a v8
just my opinion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts