New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....to those of you with a 1999 cougar (or any really that have swapped stock to SVT) what is all needed for the SVT UIM, LIM, and TB to be put in. At the moment, I have the following (and yes I searched).

SVT Upper
SVT Lower (I know they came in the 2000+ stock, but remember...I have a 1999 :))
SVT Throttle Body
Gaskets for the intake manifolds

What am I missing??

I am keeping the stock MAF and Injectors. I have heard I need a longer cruise control cable, and a new TB cable, but am still stumped as to why. If anyone can help me out it will be appreciated.

Thanks

ACCORDING TO THIS THREAD I STILL NEED

TB bracket
TB Gasket
Jury is hung on the Cruise control cable

·
Registered
429 Posts
How much horsepower gain would you see from installing these things and approximately how much would it cost?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Your current cruise control cable should work fine. I have an early 99 and it wasnt a problem

Does your cougar have the Return or Returnless fuel system? If you have Return like me.. then you will need the SVT LIM..otherwise you have it already.

Dont forget the SVT TB gasket

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
do you have ATX or MTX? If you have an ATX like me, then you can keep the stock throttle cable, but you need a MTX cruise control cable. If you have a MTX, I believe you need a new throttle cable.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have a 1998 technically (at least I bought it in 1998) :). and since it was only offered as an Auto in V6 (BACK THEN)...it's an auto :)

So I have an early 99, hence the reason I need the LIM. As for gains....dunno yet.

Khan.....was the swap easy?

James... Do you happen to have the part number for the TB bracket?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here is the part #'s that i needed for the swap. I have a 2002 mtx though. So going by what everyone else says you need the cruise cable and not the throttle cable.

SVT Contour Throttle Body Bracket F8RZ-9677-AA

SVT Contour Throttle Body Gasket YS8Z-9E936-AA

SVT Contour Throttle Body Cable XS8Z-9A758-CA

This F5DZ-9E936-AE gasket will also work and is alot cheaper too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Isn't the SVT Ecu needed also? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

It would be awesomely cool if someone could put the package together (atx & mtx) and sell it. I know some of the svt parts are hard to find and expensive in like new condition, but it would definately make bucks here for all the cougar owners. I know I'd definately buy it!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No, the SVT ECU is not needed. The only reason the SVT ECU would even be considered is IF they wanted to use the 19# injectors. The SVT ECU would be a form of engine management to control those injectors and not run super rich.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I'd also replace the EGR gasket while your at it. 99CouGSweetRide is right about the cables, you'll need a new CC cable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently ordered the svt kit, the gasket i received is listed on the pakage as SVT Contour Throttle Body Gasket YS8Z-9E936-AA, however the gasket does not look like the throttle body. Ford packaging mistake?? I don't have a real pic but i drew one out in paint real quick. The car goes into the paint shop monday so i need the correct gasket tomorrow if anyone can help identify it. Thank you, Adam.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hate to break the party up but the SVT UIM is our stock intake, according to my parts index at work they are the same other than it says to remove SVT sticker before install to a Mercury Cougar, and to "color code" it black. So all you need is the throttle body, gasket, LIM ,injectors, throttle cable for the SVT TB, throttle bracket.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Originally posted by: Onebadcat
I hate to break the party up but the SVT UIM is our stock intake, according to my parts index at work they are the same other than it says to remove SVT sticker before install to a Mercury Cougar, and to "color code" it black. So all you need is the throttle body, gasket, LIM ,injectors, throttle cable for the SVT TB, throttle bracket.
lolo, thats the funniest thing ive ever heard........have you ever put the two side by side? SVT is single or double extrude honed and SOOOOOO much smoother on the inside for better airflow, the stock one is all rough and nasty

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently ordered the svt kit, the gasket i received is listed on the pakage as SVT Contour Throttle Body Gasket YS8Z-9E936-AA, however the gasket does not look like the throttle body. Ford packaging mistake?? I don't have a real pic but i drew one out in paint real quick. The car goes into the paint shop monday so i need the correct gasket tomorrow if anyone can help identify it. Thank you, Adam.
I attached a drawing i made of its shape below, it looks almost like my stock gasket would fit better than this one?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that... please, go to your job and burn that parts index, it's warping your mind, and making you say dumb things :biggrin:

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
SVT manifolds begin their lives as stock 2.5 manifolds, but by the time they are done with the honing and polishing, they are NOTHING AT ALL like your stocker. The stock Ford part number is ground off, and a new one is applied.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Maybe he was looking under Cougar S. :stupid:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ok, it appears from your list in the first post you're missing a thing or 2 still so I'm just gonna make sure....

SVT manifold
SVT TB
SVT or 3L TB gasket
UIM Gaskets
SVT or 3L LIM (3l takes additional customization but is possible.....because I did it)
SVT Throttle cable!!
LIM Gaskets

Boom your set......and yes I sold my package deal a little bit ago, so they are out there look for em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts