New Cougar Forum banner

What Have You Done To Your Cougar Today?

435K views 6K replies 169 participants last post by  1999mercv6 
#1 · (Edited)
I came to notice our fourms don't have one of these threads, where people post about everyday things they do to make thier cougar that much better or comfy to sit in.

Just recently buying my Cougar i find myself almost every single day doing something that improves my enjoyment of the car.

I noticed after all the years of having this car some of you owners still make improvments. Even new owners make improvements. Even something as small as "I got an oil change" can go here.

Just today i passed my safety/emissions inspection after fixing my P0401 code.

Tomorrow im going to get my tags and military base stickers :)

So what have you done to your Cougar today? :biggrin:

#5 ·
Well thats not nice :(

Nothing. It doesn't leave the garage if it's less than 45° outside.
It gets cold here often, so your car would be DD'd here lol

Replaced my trans mount bolt, some how the old one snapped...........
How hard of a job was that, you DIY? What difference did it make when it was broken?

#3 ·
Nothing. It doesn't leave the garage if it's less than 45° outside.

#6 ·
Very easy. Except you cant see where the nut goes on the mount on the trans, so you have to just feel it out, and theres no room to maneuver a wrench. Ya i did it myself and without that bolt the trans sits on the frame and makes terrible noises and slams when u shift. Luckly i was a mile from home when it happened.

#11 ·
I've been crazy busy with life but about a month and a half ago I got a CEL (bank 1 upstream lean). Had the O2 replaced (didn't have time or warm place to do it myself) well 3 weeks ago the same code came back so i figured I would gut the precat and clear the code. Today the code came back so I figured I'd replace the fuel filter early because my g/f said it seemed like it was running out of gas. I opened the old filter and it was way way too pluged up for the miles on it. I'm planning to pull the gas tank this summer to make sure its clean (and replace the sending unit).

I hope I got it fixed now.

Sent from the motor bay of my S15

#13 ·
I've been crazy busy with life but about a month and a half ago I got a CEL (bank 1 upstream lean). Had the O2 replaced (didn't have time or warm place to do it myself) well 3 weeks ago the same code came back so i figured I would gut the precat and clear the code.
Your problem is that a lean condition has ZERO to do with the catalyst. Lean conditions are 99% of the time a result of a vacuum leak on the intake tract.

#12 ·
Nothing today but on Sunday I went to where it's stored and set some fresh mouse traps (never hurts and I'd rather have 'em and not use 'em than have a shredded interior!) and also pulled the aussie headlights so I can start converting them to have the appropriate low-beam cutoff for a LHD vehicle. I'm hoping to get those done before the salt goes away and it's time to bring it out for the year. If I have time I'd like to try to get the pins for my aerocatch latches cut to length and installed as well.

#20 ·
Score!! While at the first junk yard I found 2 cougars to pick from. And I went to the second and I found a SVT Contour with the engine completely unpicked! Interior gagues upper and lower manifold, throttle body and braket, everything is unpicked and clean looking, minus the stock air fliter which is beat up. But even the body still looks okay.

So I found my entire svt lite upgrade for $100 dollars for all parts. :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
I'm planning on upgrading in the car department in the next month or so, and I can't have 3 cars, that's just stupid. I would love to keep the Roush, but I HATE to relegate it to winter-beater status. But I do so much enjoy autocrossing it, and driving it, and looking at it; and the sentimental attachment is off the charts. Not to mention, I've sunk so much cash into this thing, any offer would just be insulting to me.

Everybody I talk to about it says I need to just unload it, and it makes PRACTICAL sense - but then, owning this car for 11 years and doing everything I've done to it doesn't make any practical sense, so why start thinking now? :rofl:

If I do end up keeping it, it will need some body work before it sees another winter, because the rust is starting to bubble up. It hasn't been out in the rain since Mechanicsburg. Maybe I take the cash from selling the beater and put that into rust-proofing...

#26 ·
3 cars isn't SO bad when you think about it - you and the wife each have one, and then the Cougar is the fun car. Think of all the hobbies someone can have... at least with the Cougar, you can DRIVE it... it moves! :)

But yes, I'd imagine you could make it pretty well protected with the money from the beater sale. Maybe even a little bit of that clear 3M film for extra protection around the lower areas where salt is likely to be kicked up.

#30 ·
In my opinion painted or chrome wiper arms is flat out ugly as sin like that autozone stick on chrome trim that some people practically wrap their car in. Anyway today i rebuilt my rear calipers, put on new front rotors, new brake pads all the way around, changed the oil, cursed out ford for the stupid placement of the oil filter and had my friend clear my CEL so i could get it inspected.

#32 ·
P0170 or P0171 i forget what the exact numbers were but im pretty sure its the LIM gasket. He just cleared the code with his scanner and I drove around for a few miles then went and had it inspected and it passed with no problems. It pops back on eventually but stays off long enough to get you past the test.