New Cougar Forum banner
4461 - 4475 of 4475 Posts

· Registered
1999 mercury cougar v6 5 speed
153 Posts
Ksport as a kit but its like 2k

They also have the supercomp kit which has the floating brake disc's for better heat disapation. And I was told they will work with 16 in rims from the company

· Registered
33 Posts
Have the "bulb out" light on so I'm going through every exterior light and cleaning the sockets, adding some DEG, and replacing the bulbs. I also replaced the hatch struts. I have the brake pad light on too, but I have'nt seen a harness on any of the suspension on any corner so I'm going to delete the light in the console. I can polish the headlights while they're out I guess...

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'll use this thread for lack of a better place...
I treated myself to a fun T-shirt:

Black Textile Sleeve Jersey Font

Of course, I needed both a 5-speed and a 6-speed version.

Reactions: JScullin

· Registered
409 Posts
I'm in search over the next 6 months or so for a VW beetle for my soon to be 15 year old. Will give some time to refurbish what I expect to be an early to late oughts beetle with somewhere between 100-200k miles for somewhere under 3k hopefully. Looking for a green, blueish, purple color combo and I'm almost hoping that it will be a manual to force her to learn how to drive a stick just like her mom can.

I'll use this thread for lack of a better place...
I treated myself to a fun T-shirt:

View attachment 82771

Of course, I needed both a 5-speed and a 6-speed version.

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'm in search over the next 6 months or so for a VW beetle for my soon to be 15 year old. Will give some time to refurbish what I expect to be an early to late oughts beetle with somewhere between 100-200k miles for somewhere under 3k hopefully. Looking for a green, blueish, purple color combo and I'm almost hoping that it will be a manual to force her to learn how to drive a stick just like her mom can.
My daughter bought an 03 (I think) Beetle for herself. The car was super fun to drive but what I discovered was that you need the Proprietary VAG software and scanner to do pretty much anything. Its all DBW so literally everything is electronic. I did buy the software and the scanner and worked with it a little bit to re-calibrate the throttle after changing the battery IIRC. I think its very possible for an owner to learn how to use it for routine maintenance items, but its an annoying and expensive extra burden. Of course that's nothing compared to the expense of professional repairs on a German car. After watching her flush all her savings into it, I ended up helping her sell it and buy a brand new FiST just so I would have some peace of mind.

As cute as Beetles are, and as fun as they are, if I were looking for something similar from that era I would stick with the Focus. WAY less brain damage and expense.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
Had a new Beetle for a rental several years back, when they used the 2.5L 5-cylinder. That was a pretty sweet power plant; not particularly powerful (about the same as a stock Cougar V6 probably), but it made a really unique sound that was like a pint-size Viper. Nothing else sounds like an odd number of cylinders. That was the only thing I really remembered about that car.

· Registered
153 Posts
My sister had an 06 convertible that had a leak and smelled really bad and was for some reason sticky all over the dash. It was also the 2.5 but id say it was definitely slower than my cougar. It was also a pain to get to anything.

· Registered
153 Posts
This weekend I hope to replace my tailight socket cause it isn't getting a good connection and so I have to put it in backwards because of it. I also don't want to mess with my perfect driving record and get a ticket.

· Registered
409 Posts
😕 I do know someone who has the same software and scanner package but was thinking it would be like most any vehicle being used for very local in town driving. There wouldn't be any upgrades whatsoever but just hoping to keep it running smoothly and reliably. If there is an issue does that mean the software will tell you exactly what is wrong that needs to be changed? Can you elaborate a little more as I haven't gotten further than knowing exterior and engine differences, haven't looked at maintenance issues yet? I have seen several motor variants including the 5 cyl, would like to stay away from the turbo 2.0 simply for the lack of need for the added power for her and the need for premium fuel.

I am trying to get them to enjoy their first car and not just be given something, but have them be able to have some say in the decision, she changed to a jeep wrangler a while back and was on that which was going to be more expensive for sure. But the other week she said she did want a beetle and has been looking at photos so I want to take advantage of the interest on her part.

I have access to a very good mechanic at reasonable rates and am not even opposed to swapping out a trans. if the price and deal are right. I was hoping to find someone who has a mechanically sound car with low miles but maybe had a small accident or damage that I would be willing to take on.

My daughter bought an 03 (I think) Beetle for herself. The car was super fun to drive but what I discovered was that you need the Proprietary VAG software and scanner to do pretty much anything. Its all DBW so literally everything is electronic. I did buy the software and the scanner and worked with it a little bit to re-calibrate the throttle after changing the battery IIRC. I think its very possible for an owner to learn how to use it for routine maintenance items, but its an annoying and expensive extra burden. Of course that's nothing compared to the expense of professional repairs on a German car. After watching her flush all her savings into it, I ended up helping her sell it and buy a brand new FiST just so I would have some peace of mind.

As cute as Beetles are, and as fun as they are, if I were looking for something similar from that era I would stick with the Focus. WAY less brain damage and expense.

· Registered
153 Posts
I also found out the problems I've been having with my car are due to a part I have yet to change the mass air flow sensor. Right now I have it unplugged and it drives mostly ok until I'm able to purchase the part.

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
😕 I do know someone who has the same software and scanner package but was thinking it would be like most any vehicle being used for very local in town driving. There wouldn't be any upgrades whatsoever but just hoping to keep it running smoothly and reliably. If there is an issue does that mean the software will tell you exactly what is wrong that needs to be changed? Can you elaborate a little more as I haven't gotten further than knowing exterior and engine differences, haven't looked at maintenance issues yet? I have seen several motor variants including the 5 cyl, would like to stay away from the turbo 2.0 simply for the lack of need for the added power for her and the need for premium fuel.

I am trying to get them to enjoy their first car and not just be given something, but have them be able to have some say in the decision, she changed to a jeep wrangler a while back and was on that which was going to be more expensive for sure. But the other week she said she did want a beetle and has been looking at photos so I want to take advantage of the interest on her part.

I have access to a very good mechanic at reasonable rates and am not even opposed to swapping out a trans. if the price and deal are right. I was hoping to find someone who has a mechanically sound car with low miles but maybe had a small accident or damage that I would be willing to take on.
I don't remember much, its been a while now. I remember being pretty pissed about the whole situation at first, then a little bit excited at the prospect of learning a new skill, then relieved to get rid of it at the first opportunity.
I think the functionality varies quite a bit from year to year. IIRC, the whole situation started with a battery replacement, then the throttle had to be re-calibrated and buying the software was the only way to do it.

VAGCOM

4461 - 4475 of 4475 Posts