New Cougar Forum banner
4441 - 4449 of 4449 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Got the Cougar back from the local garage that took 3 months to replace the clutch last week and finally got to drive it.

They didn’t hook up the fan ground so it overheated while in traffic.
They screwed up something when bleeding or installing the TOB so it failed while in traffic.
It lasted 170 miles and I waited 6hrs for a tow truck.

Murder should be legal.
That's terrible! The offer always stands if you want to use my mechanic again where you can park it in my driveway temporarily while you wait for it to get taken care of. He did up the hourly rate from 60 to 80 in the past year but he's still quick and cheaper than most. Most importantly very reliable with quality of work, and he let's me bring him whatever parts I want. let me know if you need to tear into it again.

· Registered
31 Posts
Repaired the engine, then went out on a test drive to find I had no brakes. RR caliper was puking fluid, and LR caliper was seized. Out of 6 star mounting bolts on both calipers 5 were stripped at the head. And of course both hubs were shot. Had to grind off bolt heads and weld nuts on, torch a ton, or cut the caliper brackets off the knuckle with a grinder. So I did a complete rebuild on both sides. Replaced all star bolts with 10.9 hex bolts. Blasted the shields and powder coated them, then new hardware everywhere. Sanded new calipers and coated with Por15 high temp matte black. Even spent 40 bucks a piece for new grease caps. This spring i'll put on new struts/springs and upgrade the rotors while im replacing EVERY SINGLE BUSHING ON THE CAR 🤬This car is a labor of hate and love so far.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Crankset Vehicle

2001 Laser Red V6 ATX
5,928 Posts

11,592 Posts
Got the emissions checked on the Cougar yesterday. Continued the biannual tradition of the tech not being able to get the OBD plug in place and doing it for them. Also continued the tradition of them having to get the manager over to approve it for some reason (related to the new engine I think).

Passed, though, and good for two more years.

Reactions: wadespencer99
4441 - 4449 of 4449 Posts