· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Got tired of being a slave to Alternators so I installed a couple spares:

Engineering Machine Aircraft engine Auto part Metal

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Automotive parking light Car Plant Vehicle Grille

Aw yeah - "new" headlights! Thanks to nkolessa for kindly passing his old ones on to me. For reference, here's what my old ones looked like:

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

I should probably swap the clear signals over into the new housings, but I don't want to mess with that hassle right now.

Reactions: JScullin and mmc757

· Administrator
14,467 Posts
Installed MILs because the new tune trips the CEL after a while. Rerouted the wideband wire from the lazy steering grommet hole method to the shifter tunnel. Replaced the radio capacitor wire on the coil pack. The whole thing disintegrated on me.

Garage is 90° all week so it’s been a treat.

· Registered
405 Posts
I pulled it out into the sunlight for the first time in a few years. Removed the Chevrons on the fenders. Keeping the redline on wheels for now. Even ran it down the road illegally to get the suspension worked and clear out the engine under load and scuff up the rotors. Doesn't seem any worse for wear, I do start and run it up to operating temps for quite a while on a monthly basis or so, stays under a cover. The reason I'm able to actually even get it out at this point is because I ended up selling the bronco that was in the primary spot in the garage.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
405 Posts
I'll speak highly of Driveway.com from this day forward. LOL. It's like the 4th sized Carvana system, 300 dealer network out of Oregon. Remember I paid $30k , they paid $52.5k, 5 more than Cargurus or Carvana, and for that I'm just gonna take the money and run. I'll go reorder in Sept. when they reopen orders and It'll probably be late 23 or 24 before getting another one, and now they are 32.5k but that's fine with me.
I'm going to swap the plates and put the cougar on the road for a few trips, plus I just finished up that brown C10, so I am totally fine not having the Bronco. I only put 390 miles on it in total, all short trips so I did get to actually use it quite a few times and the kids got to ride around it in a bit. Now they want to ride in the C10 since it's just finished inside.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Shorts

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Hood Window

Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Vehicle door

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Window

Car Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel

Wow, dumping the Bronco already?

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Who knew when they shot Harambe it would lead to new cars being not only a good investment, but wildly outperforming any other conventional investment out there?

· Registered
2,881 Posts
I actually drove it to the gas station and about a mile up the road to the alternate road into my neighborhood. Been years since I was actually in one of my cougars on a main road. It felt really good actually.

2001 Laser Red V6 ATX
5,928 Posts
Not today, but Thursday, raised it enough to verify the sway bar link had snapped. Ordered new ones from RockAuto, half the price for what looked like the same NAPA part.

Then today I'm pretty sure I need rear pads on the Edge, which does need a new rear passenger side caliper. When I raised it to take a look, put a little PB Blaster on the bolts and broke them loose, so after I order new pads and fluid, at least that part won't suck. Need to check the inventory to see if I still have brake lube and find the brake bleeder. Wish I'd known on Friday, would save some S/H.

· Registered
'93 Ford Probe 2.5 GT
1,451 Posts
I, uh...

I really missed it, and especially the Lincoln LS engine someone else on the forum gave me a few years back that I gave up before a move (damn it..)

On the 93, the KLDE keeps springing leaks by the fuel rail, and the distributor's ignitor took a dump this week. Patching in a new, better designed ignitor required pulling back the loom insulation, and I gave up counting after six splices in six inches on the engine harness. I had to side-of-the-road troubleshoot a dead fuel pump 12v wire a few weeks ago, too.

soooo... I kind of miss this engine. something out of a 2nd gen escape would be nice.. distributorless ignition, timing chain instead of belt, the IAC doesn't have a coolant pass-through... and what better excuse than that to come say hello in the forum again?

How have you guys been?

· Administrator
20,413 Posts
You don’t have the Cougar anymore, Joey?

I pulled the SVT out of the garage today which is a lot of excitement for it. I need to wrap up a few more things so I can drive it more and enjoy it.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

· Registered
'93 Ford Probe 2.5 GT
1,451 Posts
Beautiful car, Wade.

No, I unfortunately found a bunch of rust on the silver car at some point, and jumped ship to a '93 Ford Probe project that had fallen into my lap. I've been daily driving that thing for over three years without any tow trucks so far, somehow. I miss the cougar, though.

The Cougar was far, far better assembled, more comfortable, and simpler to work on. the Probe's interior is full of rattles - apparently that was the way they were from the factory, but 30 years haven't helped.

the Probe's also got a distributor-driven KLDE engine, with a vacuum driven VRIS system, on a timing belt. the timing belt tensioner is hydraulic and have a habit of failing, causing you to jump a few teeth when they do (non-interference, thank God!). the timing marks are on a flimsy plastic timing cover that is prone to break it's mounting locations, so forget timing the car if it breaks. The distributor's internal ignitor has some design fault or other and gives up the ghost every few years just like cougar alternators - you can fix that with an external one and some wiring work. The whole vacuum VRIS system is made of rubber lines and plastic ''accumulation chambers'' for lack of a better term, all sandwiched between the intake manifold and engine itself - so it hardens up in no time and will spring leaks on you. they had issues with the IAC valve freezing up in cold weather, so it runs coolant through it and likes to mess up your idle because of air bubbles. yeah - improper coolant level or air bubbles causes a very annoying idle lope from 1000 to 2000 RPM every second or so.. kind of a weird rube goldberg effect. the paper gasket for IACs and the IACs themselves are no longer available, so mine's on a cork gasket I cut out of a sheet.

Ford got it right with the Duratec - simple IAC, timing chain,distributorless ignition, electrically operated secondaries... and much simpler. Terrific improvements over the mazda plant. not to mention the later 3L VVT and oval port designs.

On the whole the cougar is the better car, but at least this probe was mostly rust free when I got it. the manual transmission feels better too. I'd love to drop in an Escape 3L and go to COPs and a Megasquirt, but that'll take some time to design a harness and bellhousing adapters.

Oh, and this forum is tons better than Probe talk and MX6, which are mostly dead. the facebook groups are similarly shallow for information like the cougar ones, too.

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I'm sure the Probe forums are even more dead than ours, but this one is down to nearly zero activity. Even some of us die-hards don't actually have Cougars on the road at the moment, we just keep coming back here because we like it here. The top five contributors probably have two or three road-worthy Cougars between us.

· Registered
31 Posts
I'm sure the Probe forums are even more dead than ours, but this one is down to nearly zero activity. Even some of us die-hards don't actually have Cougars on the road at the moment, we just keep coming back here because we like it here. The top five contributors probably have two or three road-worthy Cougars between us.
im not able to post a ton yet but ive got mine partially restored and on the road.

· Administrator
20,413 Posts
No, I unfortunately found a bunch of rust on the silver car at some point, and jumped ship to a '93 Ford Probe project that had fallen into my lap. I've been daily driving that thing for over three years without any tow trucks so far, somehow. I miss the cougar, though.
Ahh, ok. I do remember you getting the Probe. I had a 93 GT when I was in college and it wasn't exactly the most reliable either. Bad piston rings in cylinder 1 forced an engine swap at 91,000 miles, and I chased check engine lights the entire time I had the car.

EDIT I actually found some pictures of it. I bought it totaled with a 94 GT parts car and made one. 1 plus 1 equals…..1.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Check out that Nokia!
Vehicle Car Wheel Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

· Administrator
14,467 Posts
Got the Cougar back from the local garage that took 3 months to replace the clutch last week and finally got to drive it.

They didn’t hook up the fan ground so it overheated while in traffic.
They screwed up something when bleeding or installing the TOB so it failed while in traffic.
It lasted 170 miles and I waited 6hrs for a tow truck.

Murder should be legal.

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Got the Cougar back from the local garage that took 3 months to replace the clutch last week and finally got to drive it.

They didn’t hook up the fan ground so it overheated while in traffic.
They screwed up something when bleeding or installing the TOB so it failed while in traffic.
It lasted 170 miles and I waited 6hrs for a tow truck.

Murder should be legal.
That's crappy.
You might be further down the "can't give up now" rabbit hole than any of us :ROFLMAO:

4421 - 4440 of 4449 Posts