New Cougar Forum banner
4381 - 4400 of 4449 Posts

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
I always saw normal on the indicator at 226°. That’s when the high-speed fans would kick in for me.

· Administrator
14,467 Posts
Also got my final tune file loaded. Car feels pretty strong now and very punchy on the throttle from a roll in 1st/2nd.
Process took about 9 logs total. Lots of pulls in the breakdown lane at 6am and 11am when there was no traffic on a couple miles of straight road.
Interested to get a dyno now. Last one showed 200 to the wheels with a base tune that was never finished.

11,592 Posts
Got insurance on it.

I have no idea how this happened, but...a few weeks ago, I got an email from the state of Maryland complaining that I didn't have insurance on the Cougar. I contacted my insurance agent, and forwarded the info to her, and she talked to the verification team, who came back and asked to confirm the VIN. Unfortunately, THAT email went to my spam folder, so I missed it.

I got a letter in the mail the other day that brought it up again, so I emailed and called the agent again. She just called me back and mentioned the (lost) email, and I ran out to the garage and compared the VIN they had to what was on the car. Turns out the insurance had one digit wrong somehow.

Here's the weird part: I've always had that car insured with the same company. I have copies of my policy back to 2019 and it has the wrong VIN on it there. I have no idea when there would have been reason to add the car to a new policy, maybe when my then-fiance and I were getting on the same policy, but that was 2009. And Maryland is usually very quick to catch that sort of thing; I've heard stories of people getting huge fines for canceling insurance on a car before turning in license plates. How did the state miss it for at least three years?

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I visited Darkcat00 this weekend to buy a trailer hitch from him and get a Cougar fix. It's been so long since I've had any fun with my own Cougars that the idea of wrenching on one sounded pretty good.
He ended up doing most of the work naturally since it was his car, but it was still a good time.

His two running cars are both in remarkable condition. The Zn isn't perfect by any stretch but its one of the best I've seen in the rust belt in a long time. I would totally buy it if I had room for it in my life. It will be a shame if he ends up parting that car out because the body is still very restorable, and the interior is in really nice shape too. .
His orange and black car is very cool and in even better condition. He's put a lot of effort into customizing that car and it really works.

Reactions: DarkCat00

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
He needs to part out that Zn because race car needs a carbon hatch.

Reactions: LinkMan

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
It looked like the hatch was in near perfect condition from what I could tell

· Administrator
14,467 Posts
Was driving on the highway over the weekend and went from 4th to 5th and watched the rpm's just climb w/out gaining speed followed by the smell of clutch. It's a Spec 2+ and I've read the nightmares about reliability. I also just had it put in last year after replacing a previously new one when the TOB failed.

Took it for a drive yesterday and tried to bed it again incase it was glazed. Weather was perfect and the backroads near me are isolated so it worked out. By the end of the drive it was biting noticeably better so I went back on the highway and felt an improvement. Hopefully it's salvageable with a few more easy drives, but I ordered a LuK as a backup.

11,592 Posts
So the state received notification that my Cougar was, in fact, insured as of June 7. So now they want to fine me for not having insurance 4/1-6/7 to the tune of $409. Need to get the insurance company to tell them I did, in fact, have insurance during that time and it was not a "reinstatement" of insurance. Sigh.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Was driving on the highway over the weekend and went from 4th to 5th and watched the rpm's just climb w/out gaining speed followed by the smell of clutch. It's a Spec 2+ and I've read the nightmares about reliability. I also just had it put in last year after replacing a previously new one when the TOB failed.

Took it for a drive yesterday and tried to bed it again incase it was glazed. Weather was perfect and the backroads near me are isolated so it worked out. By the end of the drive it was biting noticeably better so I went back on the highway and felt an improvement. Hopefully it's salvageable with a few more easy drives, but I ordered a LuK as a backup.
That's shocking to hear about the Spec; I definitely know what to avoid. I think Clutchnet is the only other aftermarket option these days for performance variations.

I'm amazed at the amount of abuse my LuK SVT clutch has taken, and still shows no signs of slip. It's probably got 80,000 miles of competition on it, and a good third of that it's been bolted to a 3.0. I ordered that one from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford, just to give you an idea of how long ago that was, LOL.

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
So the state received notification that my Cougar was, in fact, insured as of June 7. So now they want to fine me for not having insurance 4/1-6/7 to the tune of $409. Need to get the insurance company to tell them I did, in fact, have insurance during that time and it was not a "reinstatement" of insurance. Sigh.
It's amazing how efficient state agencies can be when it comes to tracking how much money they want from you.

11,592 Posts
It's amazing how efficient state agencies can be when it comes to tracking how much money they want from you.
Yeah, especially after missing that I apparently didn't have insurance on it at all for a few years (I did, but the VIN was wrong).

· Administrator
14,467 Posts
That's shocking to hear about the Spec; I definitely know what to avoid. I think Clutchnet is the only other aftermarket option these days for performance variations.

I'm amazed at the amount of abuse my LuK SVT clutch has taken, and still shows no signs of slip. It's probably got 80,000 miles of competition on it, and a good third of that it's been bolted to a 3.0. I ordered that one from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford, just to give you an idea of how long ago that was, LOL.
The CEG FB page all seem to gravitate towards the LuK setup for anything but boosted 3l's. Here's some photo differences between them and Spec stage 2+ after the TOB failed. I'll not be installing the off-brand TOB it came with.
Automotive tire Light Product Wheel Gear

Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

11,592 Posts
I seem to recall discussion on here before (possibly in the 3L forum) that the Spec stage 2 clutch was trash. For example.

2001 Laser Red V6 ATX
5,928 Posts
Confession time... the only way to prevent it from happening again is to admit it.

I changed the oil and filter in the Cougar today, 06/26/2022, at 82,025 miles.

That's not what I'm confessing. This is...
Dishware Tableware Serveware Font Porcelain

. . . apparently the last oil change was only 2679 miles ago, but that was in 2015! Oops.

· Administrator
14,467 Posts
i would look into a centerforce dual friction clutch. i dont think you beat on your car too much but i killed a luk pretty easy in my car back in the day
I don't at all, so hopefully the Luk works out for at least more than 5k miles. I couldn't find a kit on CF site for our platform. They still making it?
Confession time... the only way to prevent it from happening again is to admit it.

I changed the oil and filter in the Cougar today, 06/26/2022, at 82,025 miles.

That's not what I'm confessing. This is...

. . . apparently the last oil change was only 2679 miles ago, but that was in 2015! Oops.
If I've learned anything from these barn-find Youtubers who get cars running out in a field still holding 40yr old oil, you'll be fine.

4381 - 4400 of 4449 Posts