New Cougar Forum banner
4261 - 4280 of 4325 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I replaced the brake pads and did the oil change for my daughters Fiesta ST this weekend. The parts store guy had to double check the rear pads because they're so tiny he thought they were for a motorcycle. :ROFLMAO:
The front brakes were super easy but the rear's were an unplanned learning experience for me. This was my first experience with brake pistons that have to be screwed back into the caliper. I wasted a bunch of time trying to brute force them in before finally giving up and asking YouTube. I'm still not sure what the point of a screw-in piston is but I guess it doesn't matter, I got the job done.

Currently towing the green car home for the last leg of its trip from AZ to CT!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
I think it's related to the parking brake.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I've never had to screw mine in 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
Don't Cougars have screw-in rear pistons?
They do - as does my MINI Cooper, Focus ST, and all of the Saturns I've ever owned. I've never done brakes on the Mustang, but I suspect that does, too.

My guess is that any vehicle that uses the drum-style parking brake under the rotor hat does not have the screw-in piston. But if the same piston that brakes the car is also the parking brake, it has to be screwed in.

·
Registered
393 Posts
couple of my wife's mazdas had screw in types. broke a c clamp before I figured it out. I'm thinking it might help reduce the risk of throwing the piston all the way out if you remove the pads and press the pedal creating line pressure. maybe there isn't a stop position on non turn ones?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The screw in kind dont have a stop point either. And to toss more fun in the loop. Alot of newer cars with electrically actuated parking brakes have sequences you have to go through to put the parking brake into service mode so it doesnt accidentally go off with the brakes torn apart.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Could the 01/02 cars be different? I've never screwed mine in before.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I've only ever owned 99's so not sure. I never really seen a differentiation shopping for calipers though

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have a rear caliper on the shelf in my basement, Maybe I'll remember to look at it.

The photos for the 01 calipers on rock auto all appear to be spinners...maybe I'm just senile. Or maybe I Hulked them in somehow.

·
Administrator
15,575 Posts
The screw in kind dont have a stop point either. And to toss more fun in the loop. Alot of newer cars with electrically actuated parking brakes have sequences you have to go through to put the parking brake into service mode so it doesnt accidentally go off with the brakes torn apart.
Our Trailhawk has an electronic parking brake. I had to go into the menu system and basically ask permission to do a brake service on the vehicle before I could put new rear brakes on it. This is also the same system that freaks out and locks itself up if you even try to move the vehicle with a door open.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Our Trailhawk has an electronic parking brake. I had to go into the menu system and basically ask permission to do a brake service on the vehicle before I could put new rear brakes on it. This is also the same system that freaks out and locks itself up if you even try to move the vehicle with a door open.
Ugh. Good to know. My wife's Jeep probably needs brakes soon.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
If anyone is interested, there's a Zetec Contour at the Pick-n-pull in Cumberland, RI that has a nearly perfect rear subframe. It hurt me to walk away from it but I just couldn't justify dragging it home without a current need for it.
I'll be traveling to Ohio and Indiana again in early January so if your anywhere between CT and Indy, I could be talked into going to get it for you and bringing it out.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Does anyone know if we can fit a hood inside the car for transport?

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I can say with certainty that neither of the two fiber hoods for a Cougar I possess will clear the hatch opening. They'd likely fit fine once past that.
Time to build that roof rack...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Toss a couple moving blankets on the roof and ratchet strap/tie/duct tape it to the roof.

4261 - 4280 of 4325 Posts