New Cougar Forum banner
4221 - 4240 of 4240 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Pull front suspension out and replaced upper strut mounts and both ball joints. Also had the drivers side hub and bearing replaced. Chasing a clunk on the passenger side that happens when turning or under any torque (accel/brake hard). The end links are new as of last year.

Everything went smooth removal and install wise, but now the drivers side caliper/rotor is dragging once the wheel is on when it wasn’t before. Seems to rotate free without the wheel on, but immediately is seized when even hand tightening the lugs. Ran out of time for the day to investigate further.
Your control arm is rubbing on the backside of the disc I'll bet. I Had that happen this spring on the probe after installing new mevotech control arms.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Mine would too - not being pressed straight bybthe wheel meant it would droop just enough to clear if i remember right.

At any rate, whether it's your culprit or not, i hope this last little niggle isn't a big deal. It sucks to do a big job and have one little glory thief left.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
5,311 Posts
It's been sitting in the garage for 3 days now so it can cure; I just pulled it out into the driveway today - looks fantastic.

So good I ordered a set of EBC YellowStuff rear brake pads today. Should pair nicely with the new Wilwoods in the spring, but I'll probably have to turn the rotors down quite a bit to use them with the 278's. I've always installed used pads in the past, as new ones won't fit around the big rotors. Plenty of time to address that though.
Does it require curing?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,778 Posts
Does it require curing?
Instructions say to keep it out of the wet for 2-3 days, and park in the Sun to speed the process. So yeah, it does require a little time to set.

·
8,575 Posts
Charged the battery.

Since the air conditioner stopped working, I haven't driven it much this summer, and at this point it has been at least 8 weeks, probably more. Yesterday I put the battery on the charger in anticipation of giving it a test drive here soon. Gotta get the AC working!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Rockauto had decent deals on AC components. I actually just got this in the mail today.

Got the hose that connects to the compressor as well as the one that runs up the passenger side fender as well.
The driver side one is appearently not made anymore. Other then that. It runs again after almost a decade. Drove it across the yard yesterday. And started putting the body back together.
She's at this point right now.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Yeah, we ordered basically a complete system a while back for Foundracer for way less than expected.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yeah I wanna say I spent 180 for the AC kit then like another 40 for the 2 lines. The only thing that isnt brand new is the evaporator core, that driver side line, and the sensors. If I end up having to do the evaporator Im going to do the heater core too just because itll already be apart.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
i need to look at rock auto, there are some things that i actually dont have, that i probably should. I still havnt had a chance to fix the ac on goldie
You might want to do that soon. The parts lists are constantly shrinking.

·
Administrator
11,652 Posts
I found a NOS drivers side a/c hose on ebay.

Looked at my hub again yesterday and, without taking the knuckle and everything out again, came to the conclusion the bearing or hub was pressed in too far or not far enough. A temp fix of putting M12 washers on the studs at the hub face so it pushes the rotor out enough to clear the caliper bracket worked.

·
8,575 Posts
Drove it! Only issue was a vibration from the front, which I’m guessing is due to tires that have been sitting for a few months. It seemed to get better as I drove it. It even started a few days after I took it off the charger, so the battery is good for now.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Got home from my OH/IN/PA trip this weekend, the car did great, no issues at all until this morning I went outside to a nearly flat tire. I must have picked up a hole on the way home this weekend.
For the final leg of the trip, from Hershey, PA to Eastern CT, I largely stayed off of cruise control and was averaging over 31 MPG.
This was about a 2000 mile trip. I didnt make a note of the exact mileage but that should be pretty close.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Welp. I had more than a hole in my tire.
I filled the tire at the gas station this morning...went out for lunch and it was completely flat.
I put the donut on and discovered the tire is basically disintegrating.
Its a Douglas Performance tire from Wal-mart and I didnt record the mileage anywhere but if I had to guess I would say around 20-30k miles. There's still enough tread left that I really didn't think I would need new tires this year, but here I am...rockin the donut 😢

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Put two new Firestone A/S's on the front and moved my two best old tires to the rear. Just in time for a rainy morning...Its so nice to drive on new tires. The old ones I had on the front really aren't that bad, there's still plenty of tread left on them but nothing beats brand new rubber on a rainy road.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,778 Posts
Shop pressed the bearing in wrong and it already failed.
So easy to do. My dad has a hydraulic press, so I drive down there to do all my own bearings. I've biffed exactly one of them; I always stock up on wheel bearings when they're on closeout at Rock Auto, and I keep a few spare knuckles around so I've always got a backup. It's a Cougar thing.

·
Administrator
15,554 Posts
I bought a barely used press off Craigslist for $100 just so I never have to pay a shop to screw one up again. It's a Cougar thing 😂

4221 - 4240 of 4240 Posts