New Cougar Forum banner

4061 - 4080 of 4114 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Its an interesting turn of events that four of our most active members right this moment are Europeans. Its been a long time since we've had that much participation from outside the US.

I've been lurking on a Puma forum for a while now and I'm learning that European inspections are pretty strict. Most of our rust buckets would have been crushed years ago. This has two results:
1. There's not a lot of 20 year old cars on the road
2. The ones that are on the road are generally in pretty good shape.

Reactions: DarkCat00

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I think my silver car actually has the ford badge on the trunk. The ford sill plates inside the door. And soon to be the ford tail lights and grill. The only thing its missing is RHD, auto climate control, a heated windsheild and a bunch of emissions stuff. She's a mercury on the title though.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I guess this is something.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Thats one pretty UIM on one ugly motor!
Whats sticking out of it on the timing cover side?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Its an ST220 intake manifold I polished a few years ago stuck on a 3.0 out of an X-type lol. That's what was in my silver cougar this morning.
I think you're seeing either the engine mount or the power steering reservoir

·
Registered
123 Posts
New power steering pump and system flush, 1 new tail light bulb, fresh transmission fluid, new rear sway bar links (stock spares as I'm saving the TZT for the near rear suspension as soon as I have time to swap everything)

Somehow the triggered a P0430 code with that? Seemed odd, so I just cleared it and drove ~100 miles without it coming back...

·
8,564 Posts
2. The ones that are on the road are generally in pretty good shape.
Sigh. My Cougar's air conditioner died and it needs a clutch... I've been kind of ignoring both issues, but it's getting time where I'll have to have someone do something. I'm not in a position to do the clutch myself (the car would be apart for weeks...), so I'll take it to a local shop and have them do it...but I don't want a stock clutch in it...sigh.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
KNOCK ON WOOD - my SVT clutch has been flawless through many years on the 2.5 and 3 years on the 3.0. I realize every day is a gift with it, so I'm preparing for the day it starts to slip. But I more than sorta got my money's worth out of that.

RJ - I don't think that would be a bad investment. They say any 2.5 clutch made by LuK is the SVT-spec unit (the Cougar used a Sachs disc).

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Sigh. My Cougar's air conditioner died and it needs a clutch...
Yours might have been the last holdout functional AC...Welcome to the club! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
RockAuto has surprisingly great prices on AC components if you can find a shop that will let you provide the parts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yours might have been the last holdout functional AC...Welcome to the club! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
RockAuto has surprisingly great prices on AC components if you can find a shop that will let you provide the parts.
My AC works just fine thank you! Better now that the cabin filter is clean.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Mine was still going strong on its original 1999 charge when I installed the 3.0 in 2017. It's gone now, but...

·
8,564 Posts
Huh, I just assumed my clutch was going bad because I was so bad at it initially - after ~12 years of driving the Cougar with the 2.5 and a stick shift, when Dom put in the 3L, I just mentally struggled to get used to the new feeling. The 3L had a much stiffer throttle spring, and of course the clutch (Stage 2 I think) had a much stronger bite. It was my car, but it wasn't - I had to undo 12 years of programming. I think if I were driving the same engine and transmission in another vehicle, I wouldn't have had nearly as much trouble.

For me it's not slipping in gear, at least that I've noticed - it's grinding sometimes when I try to go for second, so I usually skip 2nd on the way up. (It occasionally does it on first and third, but second is the most common.)

The only thing I've ever done to the AC was replacing the compressor - it died right after Dom put the 3L in. Otherwise it's been solid. I sort of suspect the current issue is electrical rather than mechanical, but I'm just not interested in diagnosing it. I've got other projects going on I'd like to finish someday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only discovered now, the car was fine to drive
!!!!
Yesterday I was on track
In pic VS a good one
Any advice? How? And it was new, changed 6 months ago
16200623439051800972335352216050.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Looks like somebody hooked onto it with a strap or hook and pulled the car sideways. I cant think of any other way to get that kind of damage without also destroying the rear end of the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe it was not yesterday but the track day before, 15 days ago...however the car was fine, no vibrations, run straight etc, I've run 1h without pause yesterday....

I've noticed too that the part is different,
maybe a difference in years....

16200629155341336522612238032177.jpg

The bush turned so much in place, it was like this, is die now
IMG_20210503_180546.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
I've never seen one like that. Did somebody try to make one at home?

4061 - 4080 of 4114 Posts