New Cougar Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 4114 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
This is my first time being on a forum like this. I am 17 my parents just bought me a red 02 mercury cougar xr V6 manual it only has 96k miles on it and it has perfect paint and the only rust is on the rear trailing arms I don't know if it would be worth modding it or keeping it stock or if I should even keep it at all I think it is one of the ugliest cars ever and I have a few questions. What is it worth, where can I get parts, would it be worth modding, and should I keep it stock? Please educate me on what I have here because I have no idea.
If you think its ugly sell it.

The more wheels you own, the more problems you own. So if you you don't like a car than get it out of your life.

Recognize that you came to a forum full of enthusiasts of the car and immediately called it ugly... It's generally a bad idea in any situation in life to introduce yourself to strangers by bashing something they care about.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd say @StuartGrant is pretty spot on with the exception of parts, as I've had minimal difficulty finding most things I've looked for. Then again I may just be used to "hard to find" parts being the norm coming from a Lincoln Continental before it... As for worth modding or not, it all depends on what you want to get out of it in the end. If you want a budget drag car, you're in the wrong place.

But yeah, If I am out at cars and coffee and the first thing someone says to me is your car "is one of the ugliest cars ever" I'm not impressed... Might I propose a visit to the "New Member Introductions" section?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a nice car. If I had to put a value on that car, just with your description, it's probably worth a solid $3-$4k in this current market, all the COVID stimulus money has the used car market really inflated, and will have it so for the next few years probably.

Things to invest in.

Tires, especially as a teenager you'll want those tires to grip the road. Finding a balance between grip and tire wear is the question of the day here, I doubt you as a teen can afford to replace 200 UTQG tires every 5k miles.

Training. Beyond your drivers license some form of advanced drivers training would be a good idea before you start throwing money in parts into any car. It's like a concealed carry license, the requirements to get the license are the bare minimum required to function, and you still need to learn a lot.

As to other parts, they're getting kinda scarce these days, you gotta watch the FS section here for the most part.
ok thank you that is very helpful i kinda want to make it a drag car but i want to get a rwd car or do something custom and rwd swap this car maybe

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you think its ugly sell it.

The more wheels you own, the more problems you own. So if you you don't like a car than get it out of your life.

Recognize that you came to a forum full of enthusiasts of the car and immediately called it ugly... It's generally a bad idea in any situation in life to introduce yourself to strangers by bashing something they care about.
well its my car and you shouldn't care about my opinion so sounds like a you problem bud

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is my first time being on a forum like this. I am 17 my parents just bought me a red 02 mercury cougar xr V6 manual it only has 96k miles on it and it has perfect paint and the only rust is on the rear trailing arms I don't know if it would be worth modding it or keeping it stock or if I should even keep it at all I think it is one of the ugliest cars ever and I have a few questions. What is it worth, where can I get parts, would it be worth modding, and should I keep it stock? Please educate me on what I have here because I have no idea.
......sell it, if its at your name, now
and buy something that you like

why invest grams on a car that you dont like?

personally i'm in love with my cougar
I will never be able to fall in love with a woman again or have a family as long as I have my cougar, the cougar comes first

·
Registered
18 Posts
......sell it, if its at your name, now
and buy something that you like

why invest grams on a car that you dont like?

personally i'm in love with my cougar
I will never be able to fall in love with a woman again or have a family as long as I have my cougar, the cougar comes first
makes sense lmao

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
well its my car and you shouldn't care about my opinion so sounds like a you problem bud

I was trying to be as friendly as I could...Go back and read what I wrote and try to comprehend the words. Have your mom explain it to you if you cant understand them on your own.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts

Do you have any pics of your car?
How about those trailing arms?

·
Administrator
11,594 Posts
It's worth modding if you start with suspension, brakes and tires first. Best bang for the buck on these cars is in those areas.

ok thank you that is very helpful i kinda want to make it a drag car but i want to get a rwd car or do something custom and rwd swap this car maybe
You'll want to sell the car and not mod it then.

4021 - 4040 of 4114 Posts