New Cougar Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 4005 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not in the garage now, i'll try to do next time I go.
However is super smart and easy : 3 of the 6 bolt of the UIM are longer (can't get the original 3 specific Ford oem bolts so I've machined from a piece of inox hexagonal for 13mm wrench) the cover is a pull&push

·
Registered
32 Posts
So today I started my project of possibly switching my transmission.

I drained the transmission oil.
What do you guys have to say about the metal particles which came out of the transmission oil?
Btw, dont have a picture of it yet, but revers bracket thingy seems like it really wants to get out

Inner cv joints popped out of housing, shown in 2nd picture. Think its not only the cv joints. Left inner cv is also out of its housing. I may accidently did left myself by dissassembling, but i doubt it. When turning the left tripod housing (RH halfshaft removed) the transmission still blocks/locks just as it did with the wheels on.
Doesnt really seem logical that both inners popped out.

Intermediate shaft bracket nuts, one sidee I could literally remove with my hand, the other nut seemed overtightened.

Tomorrow im gonna start with the transmission removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not in the garage now, i'll try to do next time I go.
However is super smart and easy : 3 of the 6 bolt of the UIM are longer (can't get the original 3 specific Ford oem bolts so I've machined from a piece of inox hexagonal for 13mm wrench) the cover is a pull&push
That's it
IMG_20210409_215909.jpg
IMG_20210409_215904.jpg
IMG_20210409_215852.jpg
IMG_20210409_215845.jpg
IMG_20210409_215806.jpg

IMG_20210409_215822.jpg
IMG_20210409_215828.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Getting a little stutter while cruising on the highway in the Zn...I think my IMRC linkage might be busted but cant quite see it without taking some stuff apart.
I'm at a strange place with this car because I expect to retire it in the very near future so every time I think about fixing something on it I have to go through a whole conversation with myself about whether its worth the trouble or not. I know I've been saying I'm going to retire this car for years but its actually getting real now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
delete all and get a proper tune
look at how much the manifolds can be simplyfied
(also in two pieces and machined for better heat dissipation)
no egr, no imrc
IMG_20210316_180519.jpg
IMG_20181026_213853.jpg
IMG_20210316_180641.jpg
IMG_20210316_180607.jpg

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
3.0 is home in the new cougar.

It’s been a MONUMENTAL week of work. Started last Monday, and worked every day, all day, through Saturday. Swapped over every single wire in the entire car, every piece of the fuel system including the filler neck, the complete power train, subframe, steering rack... you name it.

Still haven’t fired it up yet, but that will happen next time I make the trip down to the garage.

These beauties arrived while I was out of town:

17x8 with a nice concave that you can’t really see in this photo.

Still A TON of work before this thing will ever be race ready, so I might have to start the season out in the Focus ST or the Cooper S, but both should be reasonably competitive.

Reactions: Joeyisamadman

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
... and I just bought a Roush exhaust for the Focus ST. So there’s that.

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, what did you use to fill the holes with. I might have to do this when mine quits. Thanks
Hi, any manufacturer "quick steel type" epoxide resin two-components is usually good, just have a look at the temperature application limit but all are usually very high (for example the tube in pictures got "up to 260°C")
I used in several years the 2 products in the picture, you wont find these in your country but you surely find something similar in the nearest hardware store, there are 2 types, here the price is about 8€ each.
  • two syringe to mix
  • two-components tube to smash

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
@B3NN3TT and you had access to a lift? Man, what are you rich or something?
Haha! My dad built his “dream garage” after he retired and put a lift in it. Sadly it’s 90 miles away.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Are you pointing at the battery terminal?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It goes on the big post labeled - on the battery

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Ohhhhh well thats way different lol. Mine is attached to one of the bellhousing bolts on the trans

3981 - 4000 of 4005 Posts