New Cougar Forum banner

3961 - 3980 of 4005 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just removed the subframe.Trying to remove the gearbox/transmission.
Anyone knows whats the best way to lower the transmission? Got a rectangle shaped jacking platform, but dont know whats the best way to center the weight.
Dont want to drop the transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Just removed the subframe.Trying to remove the gearbox/transmission.
Anyone knows whats the best way to lower the transmission? Got a rectangle shaped jacking platform, but dont know whats the best way to center the weight.
Dont want to drop the transmission.
Support it in locations similar to the three mounting locations.
Take your time and get it as good as you can so that when you reinstall it you can re-create the same position.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I just stuck my trolley jack under it, took up the slack, gruffed it off the bellhousing flange, and lowered it down keeping a hand on it for balance. You can carry it by hand once it's out of the car, it's just not particularly fun.

The 99-00s are kind of heavy. They then changed the casting material for 01-02 to Band-Aid grenade issues, so the 01-02s are reaaaally heavy. Deadlifting it back into place, sitting cross legged in the driver wheel well really sucked.

If it's an MTX though, you're laughing. Those are a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
So after the second wheel order was cancelled, the seller contacted me personally about finding a suitable substitute, and we've settled on the Rota Titan; 17x8 et40. Pretty popular with the Fiesta ST crowd, albeit they usually choose the 17x7.5 instead of the 8-inch wheel. I'm pretty sure they are in the Royal Bronze finish, like so:

Here's a photo on a Molten Orange FiST:

Was reading a thread on the Fiesta forum where someone weighed his straight out of the box at 16.2 pounds, so it should be pretty remarkable.

Order is in, and I have tracking, so it's officially official now. Making the drive down this Sunday to spend a solid week wrenching on the car. WISH ME LUCK.

Reactions: mmc757

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Those are cool. They should look great on the light colored car. I would be tempted to paint the black metal trim pieces and trunk/grill badging to match but would probably chicken out before pulling the trigger...or maybe just use bronze colored track day decals.

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
Well I am probably going to be using dark green track day decals. Because reasons, LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Thats legit.

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
Beats me! Might need to go 18 to go wider. Honestly didn’t even look past 8”.

Edit: looks like 17x8 is as large as they go for 4x108. Lots of larger and wider models, but all 5-lug.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
What did those covers come on?

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
Would look pretty great with one of these 1996 front covers, since it is blank and wouldn't have the conflicting Duratec badges on it -

·
Registered
13 Posts
...point of view, personally i prefer the "repeated" duratec v6.
But yes, the Mondeo 2.5 MK2 got exactly that you posted, to avoid repetitions.

Attachments

3961 - 3980 of 4005 Posts