New Cougar Forum banner

3941 - 3960 of 4005 Posts

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
Make sure the header flanges are true. Mine warped and I had to go to work with a belt sander to get them to seal to the head.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Make sure the header flanges are true. Mine warped and I had to go to work with a belt sander to get them to seal to the head.
The front wasn’t warped. I pulled it down and it was square. The gasket just failed on the right side. The rear wasn’t bad but I’m not taking any chances, so that’s going to get done as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’m looking for a good par of aussies for my 2001. Are you willing to sell just let me know. Thanks Tim
I know (confirmed this morning to be sure) you can still buy the 99-00 euro headlights new. Make a couple calls you may be surprised what you can find. I haven't had too much difficulty finding any OEM parts as long as I actually have the part number.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know (confirmed this morning to be sure) you can still buy the 99-00 euro headlights new. Make a couple calls you may be surprised what you can find. I haven't had too much difficulty finding any OEM parts as long as I actually have the part number.
I actually have enough 99-00 euro lights at the moment. Trying to get the 01-02’s now. But thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,576 Posts
Signed up for a car correction class at Lime Rock Park in CT. First time this car will be on a track being pushed in its life so here's hoping it doesn't become an expensive day. I'm also doing another Dustball Rally GT in September.

It's nice going into the car season without a laundry list of stuff to do. Only need to do a radiator flush for a slight warm engine, replace the a/c condenser hose and figure out the loose wiring for the speedo.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Suffered a self-imposed casualty over the weekend.
On Friday, It was sounding like my power steering was groaning so I opened up the hood to check the fluid level. Sure enough, its low. Crap. I just replaced the pump last spring so that's annoying. I kind of mickey-moused the elbow tube on the pump so that might be it. Luckily I still have some new fluid in the trunk...
While I was under the hood, I thought I would check my engine oil. That was a little low too but I thought I had some engine oil in the trunk as well so I popped the cap off and went to the trunk to get the PS fluid and the motor oil. Turns out I did not have any motor oil after all. Crap. Oh well, I was due for an oil change anyway so I figured I would just go get all the supplies and do the oil change over the weekend. I filled the power steering and went on my way.
Drove about 35 highway miles home and stopped for gas. When I stopped, a bunch of smoke was coming out of my engine bay. Turns out I never put the oil cap back on again. Luckily I didn't completely drain my sump and I don't think there's any permanent damage but it made a mell of a hess that I spent all day Saturday cleaning up and I still have oil coming out of deep dark corners that I couldnt reach. Basically my entire engine bay has been rust proofed.

Also, just an odd note...My local WalMart didnt have a single K&N oil filter on the shelf in any size. Weird. They had the M1 filters which I thought were made in the same factory but maybe not.

Reactions: LinkMan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also, just an odd note...My local WalMart didnt have a single K&N oil filter on the shelf in any size. Weird. They had the M1 filters which I thought were made in the same factory but maybe not.
Last I heard you're right on that one, only they weld a nut onto the K&N for easy turning. I have the Ford socket for their filters so I buy them for that reason and I appreciate the convenience factor being able to take a ratchet to it provides. Mobil 1 all the way for oil though in all my cars.

·
5,278 Posts
Suffered a self-imposed casualty over the weekend.
On Friday, It was sounding like my power steering was groaning so I opened up the hood to check the fluid level. Sure enough, its low. Crap. I just replaced the pump last spring so that's annoying. I kind of mickey-moused the elbow tube on the pump so that might be it. Luckily I still have some new fluid in the trunk...
While I was under the hood, I thought I would check my engine oil. That was a little low too but I thought I had some engine oil in the trunk as well so I popped the cap off and went to the trunk to get the PS fluid and the motor oil. Turns out I did not have any motor oil after all. Crap. Oh well, I was due for an oil change anyway so I figured I would just go get all the supplies and do the oil change over the weekend. I filled the power steering and went on my way.
Drove about 35 highway miles home and stopped for gas. When I stopped, a bunch of smoke was coming out of my engine bay. Turns out I never put the oil cap back on again. Luckily I didn't completely drain my sump and I don't think there's any permanent damage but it made a mell of a hess that I spent all day Saturday cleaning up and I still have oil coming out of deep dark corners that I couldnt reach. Basically my entire engine bay has been rust proofed.

Something similar happened to me years ago, after installing the BBK on the front, took it around the block for a test drive after bleeding the brakes. Came back to the house, popped the hood, and realized that I never put the cap back on the brake fluid reservoir. Gone. Fortunately no mess, but had to borrow a reservoir cap from Dan for the drive out to CougarFest that year. After, found one at the pick-n-pull. Years later, found my original cap still stuck in my engine bay!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Something similar happened to me years ago, after installing the BBK on the front, took it around the block for a test drive after bleeding the brakes. Came back to the house, popped the hood, and realized that I never put the cap back on the brake fluid reservoir. Gone. Fortunately no mess, but had to borrow a reservoir cap from Dan for the drive out to CougarFest that year. After, found one at the pick-n-pull. Years later, found my original cap still stuck in my engine bay!
I was lucky in that regard. My oil cap was still sitting on my intake manifold. I guess I set it in just the right spot that it was secure between the IM and the hood without interfering with hood closure.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Ordered a buttload of fuel system parts.
Hit the deatschwerks website and found most of what I needed. Bought it off amazon or ebay for the most part to save some money. Have enough -8AN PTFE hose coming I should be able to replumb the lines. A 350LPH inline pump, new 100 micron fuel filter, and a E85 compatible fuel pressure regulator. And about 220 bucks worth of needed fittings to make it all work together. Who knew fuel system parts could cost so damn much????

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
16 Posts
Got a fresh coilover set, tie rods, hubs, rotors, pads, axles, the lines, and hubs to convert those old drums to discs...

And finally a stereo/speakers. Depending on the leftover from all this steering/suspension and any suprises might throw an amp in there too.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I've got a "casual" engine build going on in the basement for a future project that may or may not ever actually happen.
Got the block and bulkhead section cleaned up super good and painted yesterday.

I do have a very unique and specific car build in mind for this engine but that project cant officially get off the ground anytime soon so I'm just building the engine a bit at a time when I have a few spare minutes and dollars. Hopefully I'll have the engine, transmission, and all the mods I need for the build on the shelf and ready to go when the project actually kicks off a few years down the road.

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
Ordered a set of these to replace the Saleen reps from last season.

17x8 with an offset that won’t rub the fenders.

17.6 pounds each - the Saleens are about 24.

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
...aaaaaand my order got canceled.

Time to shop some more!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Time to get things moving. Bought a house. Survived the polar vortex. Now its time to get the cougar road worthy. Bought to go get him from the inlaws and drag him back to the new digs. New carrier bearing bolts, get the new tire put on Out of the hatch and to the inspector we go.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

3941 - 3960 of 4005 Posts