New Cougar Forum banner

3901 - 3914 of 3914 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
went out last night to get presents, and the doors were frozen shut....got the drivers side open, and pushed open the passengers side
Been there many times before. I've even had to climb in the trunk before because our doors don't have anything to get a good grip on.
The thought has crossed my mind to grease the weather stripping for the winter but I never quite brought myself to do it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Snagged NOS headlights off electronic bay. They were used for what looks like less than 1000 miles.
Were these the ones that were removed due to fogging. I’ve see those before but thought they wanted way too much for them. I snagged a new oem set about 4 months ago on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yea. But I have euro corners in mine so they’re getting opened regardless. The lenses are what I wanted the most.
Never seen another NOS around and these seemed fair priced for condition
I have some sets of the euros 1 in RHD and 1 in LHD. I only used these when I went to car shows. I bought them in a group buy years ago for $400 a set. And now I have a set of nos oem that I found a few months ago. My stock headlights are pretty good as well. A few scratches. I have some used ones off my parts car that need some work. I have 1 side of a euro I bought for the lense but it’s stained when it arrived. The seller refunded some of the money to compensate it. There are sellers overseas that will ship to us in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Free is my favorite four-letter word.

I really dont have any REAL need for this, nor do I really have the space for it, but it was either coming home with me or going to the junkyard so I took it.
I'll be dismantling it where it sits because I don't really have any way to get it out whole. The oil was drained already, I lined the space with heavy duty plastic sheet and also set the motor inside a big concrete mixing tray so I should be able to catch the leaky fluids without too much trouble.

I started dismantling it already and am almost ready to pull the heads. Once I get the heads off, the rest of it should be a lot easier to deal with.
The plan is to combine this motor with the Escape block and heads that have been in my basement for ten years to get one complete drop-in-ready 3.0 on the bench, then liquidate the extras. Project Foundracer (and also keeping the Zn on the road) still gets priority financially so this build will likely take a year or two...or three...

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
That's amazing that you got that in there.
In the future, I would use some heavy blocks to level the trunk space with the rear seats to that there's no "speed bump" there.
I tried to use some wood shelving pieces as ramps up to the higher level but they broke.
Also, if the oil pan could be removed before putting it in, that would probably give plenty of room to fit under the glass without having to slide it as far forward.

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
I did a lot of cleaning and organizing in the garage over the weekend and was able to work on the SVT a bit.

The car really needs the exhaust system reworked and I have a decision to make. It currently has the MSDS headers/y-pipe from my Cougar installed with a Trubendz high flow cat. The exhaust that came on the car didn't really sound great - the center muffler had been cut out with a straight pipe welded in place of it so it only had the dual rear resonators to control the sound.

I need to decide what to replace it with. I have a nice factory SVT dual exhaust cat back that would bolt right up and probably sound decent with the headers and high flow cat...

OR

I still have my original true Borla dual exhaust with the carbon fiber rear tips from my Cougar. The tips on the SVT are farther apart than the tips on a Cougar so I'd need to pull the Borla apart at the rear Y (it's just bolted, not welded) and add some material in there to get the tips to the right width apart and then fabricate a hanger system for it. I've saved this exhaust system because it's such a rare part and if I ever bought another Cougar I would absolutely want that on. I'm not sure what to do here. My instinct is to just leave the Borla alone and put the new factory exhaust on it.

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
In the future, I would use some heavy blocks to level the trunk space with the rear seats to that there's no "speed bump" there.
I tried to use some wood shelving pieces as ramps up to the higher level but they broke.
I wondered about that...the floor isn't exactly level back there.

·
Administrator
11,545 Posts
The poor trim pieces and interior carpeting. You're not getting the smell out any time soon if it's leaking.

It's been pretty mild these past couple weeks (for New England) so I took the Cougar out just at the cusp of 45° temps. Summer tires weren't entirely happy, but it was great to drive it in the off-season. Still running my old Koni's and G/C setup in the rear because I haven't ordered KYB struts yet to replace the blown BATs, so it's extra lively compared to the front suspension. Hoping the KYB's with Eibach springs match the BAT Euro kit in the front so I don't have to toss those, too.

Figure I'll finally replace the trailing arm bushings and rear calipers as well since I'll be putting the TZT endlinks in with the new struts and everything is apart. I haven't found a rebuild kit for rear calipers so it's easier to replace I guess.

All this got me to thinking how far from my cars original build, according to the VIN, is and I think it's basically just the color that matches. Car was a base 2000's ATX with 260mm front rotors and rear drums with cloth seats.

·
Administrator
11,545 Posts
Wade, I'd use the OEM SVT setup seeing as the car has been popping up on enthusiasts sites as of recent it seems to be on the radar again and it may help with the value. Here's hoping the Cougar isn't too far behind.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The poor trim pieces and interior carpeting. You're not getting the smell out any time soon if it's leaking.
So far, so good, I dont think I've damaged anything, and it doesn't seem to be letting out any noticeable odor. All the coolant hoses are pretty well drained already so the only coolant left is whats in the block, and just residual oil left as well so I should be able to manage the fluids pretty easily without spilling any outside of my containments.

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
Wade, I'd use the OEM SVT setup seeing as the car has been popping up on enthusiasts sites as of recent it seems to be on the radar again and it may help with the value. Here's hoping the Cougar isn't too far behind.
The carbon Borla tips would definitely not look stock on the rear of the car, and that's one thing pushing me toward using the factory SVT exhaust.

3901 - 3914 of 3914 Posts