New Cougar Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 3914 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Spotted a Cougar in a DonutMedia video. I've really been enjoying the DM videos lately, this is the second time a Cougar has appeared in their stuff but they have yet to say anything good about us.
Skip to 6:20 if you don't care about the fascinating history of Truck Nuts.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The Cougar discussion starts at 6:32. He called us a chum-bucket:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: wadespencer99

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did the rear brakes and installed some new rotors. I got all the scale off the rear calipers on the surfaces the brake pads need to contact and liberally applied Anti-Seize. Those are some strange rear calipers on our cars.....A+ to Ford for being "different". Any thoughts on why they are different (Is there anything better about it?)

Started getting after rust prevention now that its too late / too cold this year and then wrote a very long post about what's next ( Almost like working on the car right ) cause its way too cold and rainy out there this morning....

PS- I have now reached a major millstone of 50 posts which is about 1.5% of mmc757's for those that car about such things.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
...PS- I have now reached a major millstone of 50 posts which is about 1.5% of mmc757's for those that car about such things.
I'm not even in the same universe as B3nn3tt or Jaged :LOL:

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
Not a Cougar but close! I finally brought my SVT Contour home on Saturday!

It's been tucked away at my parent's house and unbeknownst to me Dad moved it a few months ago from one garage to another and apparently the new garage has a bit of a mouse issue :cautious:

I tried to start it on Saturday and it wouldn't fire. I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming so I checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail and got nothing. I found some evidence of mice under the back seat and in the trunk. Nothing obvious that I could see yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess something was chewed. Rather than let it sit there and risk more damage I just had it rollbacked home. I wanted to wait until I had the inside of my garage finished, but oh well, it's here now! Hopefully there isn't much damage and it won't take much to get it running again.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
... I found some evidence of mice under the back seat and in the trunk. Nothing obvious that I could see yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess something was chewed....
Thats where I had a rodent attack years ago. They managed to crawl inside the rocker panel then from there they burrowed their way across the car through the rear seats, eating through the fuel pump wiring along the way. My rear seat cushions were totally shredded under the leather. There were only two small holes where the carpet meets the seat cushion corners that provided any visible evidence at all, but when I pulled the seats up to check the pump out it was like foam rubber confetti.

Once I repaired the damage and sealed the entry hole, I put a crap load of downy sheets in the car and that seemed to keep them from coming back. Of course, I put some traps inside the car too in case they were still hiding in there but I never caught anything.

The good news was that I replaced the shredded foam rubber with some from an old couch cushion and my rear seats are super comfortable now :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
Thats where I had a rodent attack years ago. They managed to crawl inside the rocker panel then from there they burrowed their way across the car through the rear seats, eating through the fuel pump wiring along the way. My rear seat cushions were totally shredded under the leather. There were only two small holes where the carpet meets the seat cushion corners that provided any visible evidence at all, but when I pulled the seats up to check the pump out it was like foam rubber confetti.

Once I repaired the damage and sealed the entry hole, I put a crap load of downy sheets in the car and that seemed to keep them from coming back. Of course, I put some traps inside the car too in case they were still hiding in there but I never caught anything.

Oof. I just saw a some droppings (not a lot), and a little bit of bedding under the seat...not really much at all. In the trunk there had been a new cabin air filter in the box that it looks like they chewed up and there was a big pile of that on the trunk floor. That's all I really noticed - no actual damage to the car yet, but there has to be something. I'll hopefully be able to take a closer look today after work.

Where was the wiring damage you found, exactly?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Where was the wiring damage you found, exactly?
The wire pigtail that comes through the rubber seal between the seats.
They chewed that rubber seal a bit too but not much. It must not taste as good as upholstery foam.

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
The wire pigtail that comes through the rubber seal between the seats.
They chewed that rubber seal a bit too but not much. It must not taste as good as upholstery foam.
Ok, thank you. That was fine - I inspected that just first to make sure the connector wasn't loose before I even noticed the mice evidence. There was no damage in that area so it must be somewhere else.

·
Administrator
24,477 Posts
I got the Bullitt out of storage one spring. Cleaned it up, and ran it in a pre-season SCCA event. 3 days later, there was a... smell. Inside.

Turns out there was a nest inside the center console behind the e-brake, with several dead babies inside. They had a good time before eventually starving to death, I guess...

One of the wires on the trunk release switch was chewed, but not damaged. Taped it up with electrical tape, and it's been fine ever since.

·
Administrator
15,506 Posts
Ugh, you were lucky though. I think I'm just going to pull the seats, console, and carpet out this weekend and see what I find.

·
Administrator
24,477 Posts
II used to store the Cougar all winter, and sometimes I would find a nest under the hood made up of shredded firewall insulation. Or one under the spare tire made up of shredded tire-well pad. Eventually I started putting those little herbal sachets under the hood and in the trunk that keep them out. Did a good job of that.

Reactions: wadespencer99

·
8,532 Posts
Dude's wearing a Dodge cap and has the gall to pick on a Cougar? 🤣

I love our Ram truck, but it's had 12 recalls in the 6 years we've owned it. Trucks are supposedly what the Dodge brand was good at, not cars. And most of the recalls were stupid things like the tailgate latch, **** that truck manufacturers have been making for decades and should be a solved problem by now.

My Cougar has never been a perfect car, but it had far fewer issues than our truck has at the same point in its life.

·
Administrator
11,545 Posts
I'm debating on if it's worth fixing my Kaminari hood (sounds like they're not making it anymore) because it needs a hinge bolt drilled out and some fiberglass work. Figuring out how to make a 3.0l UIM work with an OEM hood (IAC doesn't clear) or using a spare hood to cut up and see if I can make a S style scoop and fiberglass something.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yeah it definitely is worth it. I've been thinking on the idea of making a mold of mine before it gets messed up and tinkering with learning to make parts.

3861 - 3880 of 3914 Posts