New Cougar Forum banner

3841 - 3860 of 3860 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
I'm actually not at all familiar with the svt.
I've heard that's what a lot of people use for a generic upgrade. Is this incorrect?

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
Interesting. I'll have to read into it.
It says 1998-2000. I assume that's the contour year, are those parts compatible with the 02 cougar?

Ignore my retardedness, I didn't even notice the obvious "2.5L"

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yes, they are compatible with the 02.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Definitely not 2.0-compatible. The SVT Focus used a 170-hp 2.0 from 2002-2004, but there are some pretty key differences between the Cougar and Focus Zetecs, so there may sometimes be some fabrication needed to make things work. It's WAY easier to swap pieces between 2.5's than between 2.0's.

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
Yeah. As much I like the 4, it's not really practical for a 2020 sports car.

Is there actually anything worth doing to the zetec or should I just leave it and work twords a swap to something bigger/better?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Oops, didnt grasp that you had a zetec.

A turbo would bring it right up to date power-wise. Every other car on the lot these days has 2.0T in it. (Or smaller)

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
Hmm, what little tips do you guys have for small gains here and there?

Trying to upgrade my cold air intake, cleaning and replacing engine parts/filters rn. What else?

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
The Zetec takes very well to boost, having, as it does, a cast-iron block. There are a couple of superchargers built for the Zetec Focus that bolt right up, and the space under the hood makes it easy to fab up a turbo system. Not cheap upgrades, but MAN what a difference. Makes 'em run circles around the V6s.

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
I was planning on running this vortech supercharger, I honestly didn't realize it had a cast iron block.
That really makes a huge difference, everything I was reading made the 2.0 sound inferior.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Most of us here have the V6, but the 2.0 is a really great motor with a tremendous track record and history. The Focus Community are the real zetec experts, it wouldn't hurt to join one of the focus forums when you start looking at engine mods.
For both engines, the advice is always the same though...Make the car run right first.
Intake and exhaust are pretty standard beginning modifications for every car.
Then, you get the most bang for your buck in a Cougar by upgrading the suspension. We will never be the fastest car on the highway, but a well setup Cougar can crush some twisties and have a great time doing it.
Also, at this point in the cars life, take every blemish of rust seriously, they can get out of hand fast.

Cougar owners just have to accept that we aren't particularly fast. Especially lately when pretty much every car coming out of the factory has turbo's and great transmissions.
The important thing is to take pride in the car and enjoy it for what it is, make it your own.

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
All those are being knocked out.
The upper/lower control arms, tie rods, knuckles, hubs, bearings, bushings rotors, calipers and coilovers are about to get ordered at the end of the month, after that is the exhaust, after that the cold air.

I get my blower motor shipped on like Wednesday, so right now I'm trying to think of how best to restore/replace/upgrade without killing the bank at the same time.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Tried to change my oil and rotate my tires this weekend.
Pardon the blurry photo, I didn't look at it to make sure it was a good photo before moving on.
I swear the tire still has tread on it LOL.

My strut exploded out the top. That explains the vibrations I've been feeling.
I'm grateful it didn't try to kill me on the road this time.
This was about 130K on a Koni in (Usually) New England including winter driving most years. I suppose I was well past a reasonable life expectancy, its just a bummer.

I'll post better pics of the strut after I remove it. I had to leave it there for now because of course nobody carries our struts in-stock.

So now I'm driving my kids Equinox for a week. What a turd.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Got my exploded strut replaced over the holiday weekend. The D side will have to wait for another time so I'm running one brand new KYB and one last leg Koni on the front for now.
The car actually feels a lot better than it has for a while. I've had a front end vibration when over 70 mph and not accelerating or braking that I was thinking was probably axle wear but I guess it was my strut. So that's cool.
Against my own advice, I wasted several hours wrestling with trying to engage the strut with the ball joint. I even had my grinder standing by because I knew the right answer.
Finally gave up and cut the ball joint off, reassembly was smooth sailing from that point forward. I wont mess around when I do the D side...going straight to the grinder.

·
Registered
2002 Mercury Cougar
13 Posts
That's awesome to hear. I'm waiting to come back from japan to do my whole front end steering and suspension. Already dreading it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@jaged No, but it fits better than the one I got with the car that is supposed to be Cougar specific... My only complaint is that the driver door access zipper is too far forward to be usable, but it was intended for a saloon so I get it. I also got a set of the wheel and tire covers to match. (225 /45 R17)

H3 Size: https://www.amazon.com/Kayme-Waterp...ge=en_US&linkCode=df0&ref=&tag=hyprod-20&th=1

24"-26": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PY3HN9Z/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

EDIT: It's covered in snow right now, and wind hasn't phased it yet.

3841 - 3860 of 3860 Posts