New Cougar Forum banner

3801 - 3819 of 3819 Posts

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Andy - why can't you give the new one the Roush treatment? If it's 01/02 just swap your bumpers over. Unless you're really trying to keep the weight off this next time around.
A few things - yes, the weight is a major part of it. I would have pulled it off the green car a long time ago, except that it's hiding so much rust, I couldn't bear to do that. I like to keep up appearances, LOL.

Also I would need to have the entire kit re-sprayed, and I'm not interested in dealing with that right now either.

I will certainly keep the Roush kit in the basement or something for someday when I do decide to move on to another race platform and want the Cougar to go back into cool daily driver mode. But as long as the 3.0 has all its connecting rods, that might be a long time!

This new car is going to be 100% sleeper, until you get close enough to see the 4-point harnesses and chassis braces inside...

EDIT: regarding the "fleet" - I have 4 right now, soon to be 5, but quickly going back down to 4. I had 5 for quite a while with my 99 Laser Red, but I was definitely kicking my self daily for being so ridiculous. I think 4 is a fine, sensible number for 2 people.

Focus ST is the contemporary family car with all the room and the Sync and the 4 doors and the hatchback and the turbocharger.
Bullitt is the garage queen Grand Tourer with all the rumbly V8 noise and the cars-and-coffee murders and the Steve McQueen.
Cougar is the lightweight grip-monster autocross track star that punishes you on the street.
MINI Cooper S is the el-cheapo who-cares, drive-it-anywhere, park-it-anywhere, supercharger-whining bad-weather-beating hilarious fun-haver.

And I think there's room in anyone's life for all those things.

·
Administrator
15,474 Posts
I will certainly keep the Roush kit in the basement or something for someday when I do decide to move on to another race platform and want the Cougar to go back into cool daily driver mode. But as long as the 3.0 has all its connecting rods, that might be a long time!

This new car is going to be 100% sleeper, until you get close enough to see the 4-point harnesses and chassis braces inside...
I was assuming (and hoping) you'd be hanging on to the Roush kit. I can't imagine you'd ever that go anyway. I'm excited to hear about the new car, but I'll wait for the official press release and won't beg for more info :cool:

I think there's room in anyone's life for all those things.
Regarding Joey's initial question - if you have several similar cars that have a similar purpose then things definitely get redundant and the fleet can probably be trimmed back a little. Our case is similar to Andy's as each car has a very different purpose:

The F150 is the trailer towing, lumber transporting, mountain bike and kayak hauling, go wherever I want it to vehicle. I've owned it for 14 years and can't imagine life without it.

The Fiesta is the best gas mileage car I usually drive out of town on work trips and don't worry about piling the miles on. It's got Sync, heated leather, and is a hatchback with the right number of pedals. It costs us next to nothing to own (and is worth practically nothing as well) so it doesn't really make sense to sell it.

The Jeep Trailhawk is the road trip/vacation/weekend getaway vehicle that is also excellent at getting my girlfriend to and from work in nasty weather. She's an RN in the ICU so working from home on a snow day isn't an option for her.

The SVT Contour is the garage queen that I forget I own sometimes but will always keep around.

Lastly, there is the Jeep Wrangler project...and yeah...let's just not talk about that 😂

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I might be interested in a couple things for my SVT depending on rust and condition (and shipping, of course).
Jaged already has dibs on the Stangkillers I believe for the "rare parts goldie build"

Also, 99% certain that I fixed the P0171 code on the Trailblazer for $0 during my lunch break. Previous owner did coils and plugs just before he stopped driving it in October, and apparently left the crankcase breather hose disconnected causing a lot of pirate air. Wiggled the hose back on its barb, should be good, but didn't have time to start it up, check fuel trims, and clear codes.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
My most out of control fleet moment was when I was living in a campground in the Dayton area with the Motorhome, two Cougars, a New Beetle (not actually mine, but I was babysitting/fixing it), a Grand Cherokee, and an Infinity.
That was a little extreme and my wife wont let me get back to that point again.

Side note: If you ever get a chance to drive a New Beetle, do it. They are super fun. I'm not saying buy one, but definitely dont say no to driving one. :LOL:

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
We got one for a rental once, back when they were using the 5-cylinders. I love that noise.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
We got one for a rental once, back when they were using the 5-cylinders. I love that noise.
Fun fact, the 5 Cyl is inferior in every way to the 4 cylinder VW's. It's NA instead of turbo, so it consumes more fuel, makes less power (or less torque in the case of the TDI's) and is actually less reliable (except for the early DI gas engines, those were a **** show)

·
Super Moderator
22,122 Posts
Im at 4 comfortably, A 5th will show up at one point permanent so we shall see at that point. Some may come and go in between since I seem to buy everyones cars and pass them along lol (im considering it Stu, just depends on your time frame and the price of the other things we talked about)

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Never ends. It really just...one after another. I'm amazed. Engine is running incredibly so of course new things gotta spring up.

I keep popping the clutch line off the transmission. 3rd time now and this time we squeezed the clip tighter. Bled it, but I sometimes get a dry groaning feel/sound when pressing it in (it's all new in there, mind you) and I feel it in the pedal.

New ball joints and control arms. Now it suddenly has play up & down when grabbing the wheel and the car tracks weird on the highway. It just feels like somethings slightly loose, but everything is tightened. Could be a wheel bearing, but it's quiet. Could be upper strut mounts.

Have an appt to check the wheel balance because it now has a slight vibration at speed.

·
8,523 Posts
Finally got the Cougar jacked up to check on the bump in the steering and the vibration I was feeling through the pedals. Since I haven't driven it lately (8 weeks? Maybe more?) it started very slowly and the gauges swept, but this battery was the one that was cooked when the voltage regulator died on the previous alt, so I've been expecting it to have a shorter life.

I found one or two bolts that weren't quite as gutentight as I could possibly make them, so I put a few more turns on those. I couldn't find any reason for the vibrations in the pedals I was getting when shifting. I also looked at the non-working air conditioning system, but I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. The refrigerant pressure was low, so I put some in, but if it's leaking I'm going to assume it needs to be evacuated first. The compressor never did kick on. I'll take it to a shop for that problem.

With a test drive, it ran fine and the steering didn't 'bump' when I was backing it into the garage, which is when it was happening, so that's good. I also didn't notice the vibrations in the pedals, which is also good. We'll see if the battery survives. I should just replace it...it's not worth the headache of getting stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got a few things done on my car today.

1) Tune up ( Plugs, wires and coil pack). Special thanks to the dweeb who decided I needed one of the three coil pack bolts to be 5.5 mm ( I guess 5.25mm was too hard to find)

2) Got my AC condenser installed finally and I me go back to pressure check the system and maybe try to charge it tomorrow. ( Goal is ICE cold AC in time for crisp Michigan winter weather)

3) Cut off and drilled out studs between the muffler and cat...Way hard drilling out the studs. Pretty sure the bolt let go while my son was busy snapping my neck...I mean learning to drive a stick shift.

Noticed at highway speeds ( 65-75) today that at least one of my tires is way out of balance....but at least I have this bucket reliable to take on the highway now. This car is getting pretty close to good enough and that will be just in time as the next project got rolled into the garage last weekend.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

·
5,259 Posts
Checked fluids, inflated tires, looks like new tires are due soon - aging out with some cracking sidewalls. Really needs an oil change too.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I was washing the trailblazer in the rain yesterday, so I decided to give the 01 some love too, it got it's first wash in 3 years, not that it's driven anywhere since then either though...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Snapped the damned crankshaft sensor bolt off in the timing cover.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
3801 - 3819 of 3819 Posts