New Cougar Forum banner

3781 - 3800 of 3819 Posts

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Drove an 800 mile rally on a new engine we put in 5 days earlier, taking us from Portland, ME to the top of Mt. Washington, upstate NY about 4mi from the Canadian border, Burlington, VT and finally ending at Limerock Park in Connecticut.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
That sounds like a great run. Maybe if I'm in the area next year I will have to bring a second Cougar to the party. I doubt my yellow car will be on the road, but my project car should be fully operational and on the right side of the country.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
...still need to resolder the PCM coolant temperature sensor though before it's really driveable...
I might have one if you run into trouble

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
It's not the sensor that's the issue, it's the wiring harness, some rodent or another got into it and chewed up the IACV wires, and the FPR vacuum line.

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Went to go start it this morning and the clutch went right to the floor. Turns out the hydraulic line popped off the transmission somehow (clip was still in it).

Got it back in, gave it a quick bleed as best as one person can, and what do you know the clutch chatter I’ve had for the longest time is gone and it also engages better.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
lol, bonus! I hate those clutch lines; had one pop on me once before, although it was on first start-up.

·
Administrator
15,474 Posts
That happened to me once too. I was very confused for a minute until I figured it out.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Made about a 700 mile round trip this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at the car not trying to kill me. I appreciate that.
Got great gas mileage too! kept it close to 31 MPG for the trip south, and around 29 for the trip back north.

Reactions: JScullin

·
Registered
48 Posts
I made a similar trip through three states, with similar mileage. This car has never tried to kill me though, just annoy me with squeaky bushings...
I also replaced what appears to be the original serpentine belt beforehand as it had finally started squealing on downshifts with a Goodyear.

Not today, but picked this up from a local gunsmith after Cerakote last week:

(XS2V-9424-AB -masked thoroughly as I didn't want ceramic inside)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I made a similar trip through three states, with similar mileage. This car has never tried to kill me though, just annoy me with squeaky bushings...
I also replaced what appears to be the original serpentine belt beforehand as it had finally started squealing on downshifts with a Goodyear.

Not today, but picked this up from a local gunsmith after Cerakote last week:
View attachment 80927
(XS2V-9424-AB -masked thoroughly as I didn't want ceramic inside)
Your car is in great shape, its definitely been taken better care of than some of our cars.
Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's still on daily driver duty. it'll swallow my duffel bags and barrack box just fine when I have work. it's fantastic on the highway. but...

I've been flip-flopping all week on whether to keep it or part it out / sell it. it's not going to be worth much in sale and I REFUSE to let it go to some dummy that'll roast a fuel pump or somehting and immediately scrap it six months down the line. So if I were to get rid of it with a broken heart, I think I'd part it out to you guys.

I mean - it's fantastic. it drives good, runs good, always starts, and it's well maintained at this point. and I really, really love the car. but it needs a ton of paint and body, and I have a Probe that runs and drives pretty well too, and those two vehicles are pretty similar. I don't have the space for both this winter - so I'd need to put either the cougar or the probe away in a relative's driveway. that'll probably happen. no way I'm paying 6-700$ to store this old girl for the winter. I just can't justify that expense.

really, it's just down to ''Why do I own two cars that are good at all the same things? I'm a student!'' ...I basically need to justify our small fleet of three vehicles, as well as the maintenance / paint and body on both of mine. her 2010 Mazda 3 is in terrific shape and is (obviously) dead reliable, so that's not going anywhere. Honestly, letting it go would be easier if this community wasn't so god-damn terrific, and if it was a tercel or something.

I love it. I don't want it to go away. how do you guys justify owning multiple cars to yourselves?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I justify it by the fact that cost of ownership is insanely low and there's nothing on it I cant fix. There's just not enough good reasons to give up on it.
If I were dumping hundreds of dollars a month into it, then it would be a no-brainer and it would have to go, but that's not the case.
Similarly, for the last several years I had a beater Grand Cherokee that was in SUPER rough shape, probably similar to your Cougar but it ran like a top and rarely even had a CEL. I didnt need it because everything it could do, my wife's newer GC could do better. But the cost of ownership was pretty much gas and insurance so I drove the snot out of it until it finally died and that was that.

My time is my most precious resource at this point in my life so it is frustrating that my cars need more time than I have available to give them, but I also understand that everything changes all the time, so I expect that when its time to get caught up on cars, I will figure out how to do it.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
I took off the 245 BFGs and mounted up the Coopers and Roush wheels, and put all the interior trim panels back in. So it's gone into "sensible street car" mode again. Except for the missing back seats, which I no longer have. Not that anyone would or could ride back there anyway. So I drove it to the grocery store in a calm and responsible manner. Looks awesome; I'm going to miss the Roush look...

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
how do you guys justify owning multiple cars to yourselves?
I'm finding it more and more difficult. I currently have 5.

2 Cougars,
1 Jetta
1 Envoy
1 Trailblazer

The Envoy just needs to give up a couple more parts to the trailblazer before it goes to the junkyard, and I'll be down to just four again.

I'm also in Michigan where our insurance is pretty expensive, for reference I'm paying about $50/month for the 00 Cougar and I've driven it about 15 miles this year, only to find out the rear passenger caliper was frozen up. Again...

So the 2000 is probably going to go into the garage in a bit to get broken down to parts, or get sold off to somebody else to part it out.

The Jetta, eh, it's a reliable, fuel efficient car with lots of luxury comforts for its age, leather heated seats, navigation, 5 disk changer... But all those are from 2006, the maps are getting less accurate by the month and the last update for them was published in 2012. I also can't figure out the oil leak. I know it's a diesel, and if they aint leakin, they're empty, but it's annoying leaving pitch black oil stains wherever I go in that thing.

Finally, the trailblazer is a replacement for the Envoy. 230k miles, but the frame is almost brand new despite that, P/O said he washed it weekly and I believe him, there's still plenty of paint on the frame. But it is cursed with how fixing one problem just creates another. I've gotten the steering done, the lines done, the alternator replaced, and now it's got a P0171, which is either a hose I forgot to reattach, a leaky intake manifold, or the secondary air injection system (think the opposite of an EGR, it injects clean air into the exhaust stream on start up to help heat up the cat converter)

So yeah, I need to get the fleet downsized a bit I think.

If anybody wants the 00 I'll let it go for $1k btw. I'll try to get a thread going for it soon.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Yeah, but it's almost as rusty as Joey's is already!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Bummer.

·
Administrator
15,474 Posts
Andy - why can't you give the new one the Roush treatment? If it's 01/02 just swap your bumpers over. Unless you're really trying to keep the weight off this next time around.

SG - sad to see it go. If you do decide to part I might be interested in a couple things for my SVT depending on rust and condition (and shipping, of course). /vulture

3781 - 3800 of 3819 Posts