New Cougar Forum banner

3761 - 3780 of 3819 Posts

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Rotated the tires and torque the axle nuts. Racing on Saturday.

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Continuing to button up the engine after dropping it in last week. Just keep hitting little road blocks that eat up time. I'm supposed to drive this in the Dustball Rally GT next Thursday and have yet to do a first start and put some break-in miles on it first.

Best-case scenario is it fires up and runs with no issues Saturday and I spend all day Sunday/Monday cruising around to put a few hundred miles on it and send out some new readings to reevaluate the tune. Worst case I take the Fusion and really worked a lot of hours over the Summer to not get it done in time.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Some kind of weird click/clunk in the RF when the torque hits. I've had this problem intermittently for YEARS. Going to have to r&r that corner to eliminate that. Axle is new, so I'm looking closely at top mounts and LCA's, and maybe a brake caliper somehow.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Picked some front knuckles and a few odds and ends off a Mystique in the yard this weekend. Still need to find some rear knuckles. Taking front suspension apart goes a lot faster when you dont care about damaging rod ends, axles, or ball joints.
The Mystique seats certainly arent as attractive or supportive as ours, but damn they are a lot more comfortable! I'm really tempted to grab them for Foundracer, but I just cant justify the expense. Now that I think about it....I suppose they might not tilt forward either, that would be a no-go.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
fixed it up some over a few weeks, then drove it to a military base and let it sit six long weeks during some training. fired right up when it was time to get home.

needs a rear wheel bearing, it's on order. it's mostly Okay, but that thing is incredibly rusty now. every panel needs some attention, sure, but the real problem is the underbody. I just couldn't find a safe, solid spot to jack it up when I checked the bearing. it must have taken me five spots. so...I guess it's going to be a paint-and-body fall for the Cougar, since the Probe is now back up and running (wheels, tires, brakes, and a control arm). I have no idea how I'm going to reproduce all those complex stampings on the floor pan and 'frame rails' of sorts that we have in the back. I might have to go with simpler shapes or something. I'll be sure to take pictures as I go.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Oof, that's awful. unfortunately, mine's at about that point too. It's probably getting some square / rectangle steel here-and-there on the underside. there's just too much to fix with hand-shaped stuff down there. Entire sections adjacent to the gas tank are GONE; but the real worry for me is the bubbling around the windshield. there's two spots that don't seem too major. fingers crossed. Otherwise.. Tadah. Forgive me for the zip tied bumpers. I have sinned, but the original mounts weren't saveable and it's a 2 year old '''''''''temporary''''''''' repair.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Most people would say my yellow car is beyond saving but you've got me beat by a long shot.
I love that your trying so hard to keep the life support machine running on that car...but I know that you know you could do a lot better for not much money...
You probably could've bought two Cougars in better shape than that just for what you've spent on exhaust LOL.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I dont doubt that they are hard to find. They are difficult in New England as well. Thats why I ended up buying a California car LOL.
Your "Better than" bar is pretty low though...
If you still have that car when I get around to buying new fenders for Foundracer you can have the silver ones off of it for shipping.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I do appreciate your perspective on this. Maybe I AM crazy to keep this thing. I don't really know any better.
I dont like how this conversation went, I'm sorry. I dont want to neigh-say your car, we're all really happy to read about your journey with it, youve brought new energy to this forum. I just would love to see what that energy could bring to a car starting out from a better place. I know what a bummer it is to have a lot of really great ideas and then get overwhelmed by a laundry list of "must-do's".

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Boxed up my spare visteon spoiler to ship it off for use on my project car. (maybe)
Before I finish packaging and get a quote, does anyone want to play the "How much will shipping cost?" game?
Shipping from Connecticut to Arizona.

Hoping this week I can get back to modifying my spare rear subframe so I can get it ready to go in the yellow car so I can have a sway bar again.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
FWIW, I've had the best luck with FedEx, at least with SUPER-HEAVY stuff. 2 17" wheels in a box for $42 or so, an entire MINI Cooper Eaton supercharger for $23. FedEx beat UPS and the Postal Service handily in both circumstances.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Double 'cause I can - I had a couple of bare spots in the clearcoat on my CF hood from aggressively wet-sanding out some scratches right after I got it, so I laid down some new rattle-can clear on there yesterday (er, I guess just "can", as clearcoat doesn't use pigment and, as such, there is no need for a rattle). Blended it in as best I could using curved paper masking, but I'll be doing a fresh wet-sand and cut/polish on it today to try and make it seamless. I'll most likely also be taking the RF caliper apart today and getting everything lubed and re-set to try and alleviate the noise up there.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Got the intake tract put back together and put a new radio in the 01 last night after struggle busing the whole weekend, still need to resolder the PCM coolant temperature sensor though before it's really driveable. So at least a couple of things went alright for me...

OTOH, the new trailblazer I picked up to replace the $600 Envoy continues to be cursed. I originally only had to do PS lines and trans cooler lines. That ballooned into a huge job because I also accidentally destroyed the rack and pinion. I got all that done last weekend, everything was working great, except it wasn't charging. Still working on the charging issue, pretty sure that it only works when it's dead cold, because it tests good when on a bench for a few seconds, but not otherwise really. Anyways, I took it in for an alignment, because new rack meant new tie rod ends. They call back, say "hey, your lower ball joints are all screwed up, you probably wanna replace those before we do the alignment to save you some money", so I order up a DetroitAxle kit.

(BTW, if you ever have to deal with them, I am sorry. Their products are fine, their customer service, though outsourced to China, is fine. The biggest problem they have is their F*cking fullfilment system. The "Local Pickup" option they offer says the order will take 2 hours to fulfill, and you'll get an email when it's ready. They never actually pull the order till you arrive in the store so there is no email. If you order something to be shipped, expect it to just be thrown in a box, UPS completely destroyed the first rack that I bought from them because it was just thrown in the box without any void fill so the UPS package gorillas throwing it around destroyed one of the lines from the cylinder to the control valve. Okay, tirade over, back to cursed Trailblazer.)

So, I spend the weekend putting in ball joints, break my ****ty HF ball joint press on the lowers (their new Maddox line BTW doesn't have that old Lifetime Warranty they offered on the Pittsburgh Automotive equipment, only a 90 day warranty) got the control arms replaced, got everything back together, started it up to do some diagnostics on the alternator, noticed noise coming from what I thought was the alternator finally deciding to charge, and finally go to pull it out and it doesn't have any power steering! Get the car outside of the building (working on it at work with a lift is a must for that kind of work)

Check the reservoir, nothing in it. Top it off, quickly drains that too. I should mention, there's nothing dripping under the car, which is good because there was a lot of cement floor in the building that would've been a pain to clean if it'd leaked on the way out. So I'm poking about, neither of the tie rod bots are swollen or feel like they've got fluid in them, finally, I get really low, poke boot around the steering shaft the slightest bit and a quart and a half of PS fluid comes rushing at me, narrowly missing my arm and almost catching me before I can get up off the ground.

So yeah, I had a fun weekend, how bout you guys?

3761 - 3780 of 3819 Posts