New Cougar Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 3738 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since they claim to have these in stock:

How does the saying go? YOLO? Yellow? I'm sure it was something along those lines...

·
5,250 Posts
Finally got the engine back from the machine shop. Starting to reassemble everything. Valve covers are off getting powder coated flat, wrinkle black and I‘m waiting on a new water pump assembly as the one I had fell apart while cleaning it.
That is a right pretty engine there. Let us see the valve covers too, once they come back.

I've also fully assimilated to back-up cams which I didn't think was going to happen so I may need to upgrade my 15 year old stereo system pretty soon with a double din and backup cam. I constantly find myself thinking about how to move a screen up higher on the dash and moving the A/C controls down low or to another location altogether. If I thought I could do custom fab in ABS that would look right in the car, I would definitely have done it by now. Fiberglass is always an option but it wont ever look like it belongs there.
Our Fusion just has the backup sensor, our Edge has a backup camera - still back into the garage with mirrors, but use the camera to know when to stop, and love that I can see toys and bikes left where they shouldn't be with it. Have you heard of FenSens wireless backup camera? Looks very interesting for not having to run wires or have a screen, uses your smart phone as the display device. FenSens | Wireless Backup Camera And Parking Sensor With Mobile App

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Got the pack of Fiber Fix to patch the hole in my high-flow. It was worse than I had anticipated. The pipe was very close to breaking in half behind the cat. I applied the patch and snugged it down with a band clamp, so it’s temporarily fixed. And holy cow the thing is 100 TIMES QUIETER. Didn’t realize how much of an exhaust leak there was. Almost makes this exhaust noise bearable.

Trubendz sells stainless HFC pipes for only $175, so that is probably coming soon. Should probably order now so maybe it will get here before the 15th race weekend...

·
8,512 Posts
Does it turn itself back on on every restart of the car by any chance?

I've never used the adaptive cruise on the Cherokee. Fortunately it has both so I use the standard one.
The adaptive cruise? That’s all the Mazda has, there’s no regular cruise. I haven’t looked into turning off the other stuff.

Back up cameras are the ****, especially for something with huge blind spots like the Cougar. I initially was skeptical when we bought the Accord, but it’s hard to imagine not having it now. (Side note, I bought back that motorhome and it doesn’t have one. I never minded before and put 20k miles on it, but I’ll add one at some point.)

I do like the emergency braking so far. Only one false alarm there, and it was because I was approaching a vehicle that was turning. I had it under control, but I see why it triggered.

Another thing I dislike about the Mazda is that it reminds me I’m driving a computer every now and then. In particular, occasionally it’ll hold the brakes on for a moment after I take my foot off the pedal. The computer is thinking and deciding whether it’s okay. It takes me out of the driving experience every time, I just lose interest in having fun. (That said, the “auto hold” feature of the brakes is very nice on steep hills and in drive-through. It can be turned on and off via a button on the dash.)

I really don’t like that car. Handles very well, and it’s good for what it is, but it’s not the right car for me. I’d go buy a used V6 Accord for daily driving if I had the money.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Since they claim to have these in stock:

How does the saying go? YOLO? Yellow? I'm sure it was something along those lines...
That would be somthing. They have been discontinued for years now.

I hear some guy in Michigan has a horde of about 4 sets.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I really don’t like that car. Handles very well, and it’s good for what it is, but it’s not the right car for me.
Been there. Objectively perfectly good cars that just don't feel right. We went from a Grand Cherokee to a Durango once and by all objective measures the Durango was the better vehicle but it just never clicked with us like the Jeeps have. Same with our Infinity, objectively a really good car but I just never felt connected to it.

·
Administrator
15,454 Posts
The adaptive cruise? That’s all the Mazda has, there’s no regular cruise. I haven’t looked into turning off the other stuff.
Ahh, no, sorry - I meant the lane departure warning. You said you wished you could turn it off but don't want to have to remember to turn it back on. In our Jeep a lot of those safety features turn themselves back on once you restart the vehicle.

·
8,512 Posts
Ahh, no, sorry - I meant the lane departure warning. You said you wished you could turn it off but don't want to have to remember to turn it back on. In our Jeep a lot of those safety features turn themselves back on once you restart the vehicle.
Ah. I’ll have to look to see if it does that.

It has driver memory that remembers other things (seats, mirrors, HUD position), so maybe that would be one of them, too. Probably not, but it’d be nice.

·
8,512 Posts
Been there. Objectively perfectly good cars that just don't feel right. We went from a Grand Cherokee to a Durango once and by all objective measures the Durango was the better vehicle but it just never clicked with us like the Jeeps have. Same with our Infinity, objectively a really good car but I just never felt connected to it.
Yeah, for me, I miss the V6 power the most. That Accord, when merging on a highway, you’d put your foot down, it’d kick down a gear, and it’d just be gone. The Mazda is like REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

Never thought I’d miss a Honda Accord this much.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My car let me down again yesterday. Fuel pump no pumpee pumpee.
That pump is only like a year and half old so that's pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My car let me down again yesterday. Fuel pump no pumpee pumpee.
That pump is only like a year and half old so that's pretty frustrating.
Trying to talk to Autozone on the phone about a warranty claim makes me want to gouge my eyes out...:mad:

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Brand new stainless HFC is on the way from Trubendz. The exhaust system I ordered took 8 days to get out, so I should have it in plenty of time before the next race weekend.

I drove the thing to the grocery store on Tuesday; I was really unfair to the Trubendz exhaust system before. All of the noise I was complaining about was clearly due to the compromised HFC pipe. Now that it's (temporarily) sealed off again, the car is almost silent under cruise conditions (light throttle, 2800 RPM's or so). Still kind of farty under throttle, but maybe even that will clean itself up once the new HFC is installed; there are still lots of pinholes around the flange pre-cat.

I've had 2 different people comment on the car in the wild this week. One older guy parked next to me when I was picking up a carry-out and asked what year it was. When I told him, he seemed surprised that is was so old, and commented that it looks perfectly at home with all the more modern car designs.

Second fellow was clearly a muscle-car guy and asked about the Roush provenance, expressing surprise that Jack had a hand in it.

Reactions: JScullin

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've got headers hfc and a bassani catback...I had to cut 24" out of the straight section and install another magnaflow muffler just to make it bareable. You can call me old if you want. But my car was tolerable until I did the hfc.

·
Administrator
11,481 Posts
Add another part to the list. Engine isn't even installed and things just keep breaking during install. This time it was the water pump bypass hose, which got bumped causing it to crack apart.

Surprisingly that's still available.... for $200.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Got my 5th fuel pump installed. I'm getting good at this job.
Luckily, the previous one was a lifetime warranty unit, but it looks like finding them may start to become difficult. According to autozone, I bought the last one for $95 (a year and a half ago) and now the same part number is $225.

Reactions: Joeyisamadman
3701 - 3720 of 3738 Posts