New Cougar Forum banner

3681 - 3700 of 3738 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
i cant get my p1000 to go away, MILs might be bad, currently also have a p1516 (imrc stuck closed) just need time to work on the dam thing
Are all your monitors set though? Usually if the lights on, they won't set.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Mounted up the race tires and messed about with the rear toe today a little. Started by adding 1 turn of toe-in with the adjustable rear arms and took it for a test-drive. It was terrifying. The car immediately felt tipsy and loose, and in turns, each side would take turns getting grip, so it would wiggle side-to-side anytime there was a lateral load on the chassis.

So I took half a turn back out of each side, and that seems to be the sweet spot. The turn-in isn't as sharp as I've been used to, since the car is not rotating as well as before. But I'll take a slightly softer turn-in if it keeps the thing from doing 360's all over the course. Theoretically I'll be able to carry a lot more speed through the corners if I'm able to trust that the rear end won't snap out on me. And if I get it out there and find it's not working, it takes all of 3 minutes to adjust the toe in the paddock, so I can still fine-tune in the middle of the heat.

The exhaust seems to be getting a little less harsh since I've been driving it; it has about 300 miles on it now, so there should be a nice black buildup inside that's helping with the horrific noise...

·
Administrator
11,481 Posts
Got my replacement headlight bulb wiring and butyl today and have the Euro lights pulled apart to transfer the city light wiring over and splice it with the US spec.

Since the housings are kinda busted up on the Euro lights I'll probably gut them the for the leveling motor and wiring and see if anyone wants to try and add that to the US lights. I have the leveling switch somewhere in a bin.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Re-familiarized myself with the parts I had been gathering for the yellow car. The suspension is super rattley and in bad need of refresh but I kind of put it out of my mind while the car was garaged for the winter and then for other repairs. My rear swaybar is nothing but a noise-maker right now.
I have most of the parts I need for the rear, this weekend I finished trimming down poly endlink bushings to fit on the OEM style endlinks. I think I'm going to try that for a while, although I dont have high hopes for being satisfied with them. I can always refurb my solid endlinks if it doesnt work out.
I had also started prepping my spare subframe for reinforcement last year but only got one side done so I need to finish the other side then find someone to weld them up for me, then I will get it sandblasted and paint it with some Herculiner. The one currently on the car was powdercoated and I'm not terribly happy with how the powdercoat held up.
I think I will probably try to source some replacement rear knuckles as well and return the entire rear end to like-new condition.

·
8,512 Posts
Yesterday, I discovered my air conditioner isn't working. Weird...it's been working perfectly. But yesterday it would only blow semi-cool air for a while, then blow hot air entirely. I wonder if I lost refrigerant, possibly due to a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Drove it to work for the fist time since last fall. It didn't try to kill me so that's a win.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Mounted up the 8” wheels with 245 tires. These things have a REALLY aggressive offset. I have tons of space on the spring, and pretty much rubbing the fender. They are going to need to be rolled pretty significantly.

A little rub over humps in the road, but the old Rotas with spacers did too.

Sticky!

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
well that was quick
Flash sale at Discount Tire, Monday and Tuesday only. Saved an extra $80 by pulling the trigger early!

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
I bought some of this stuff to try out:

Pulled my lamps and buffed them out with compound and a foam pad drill attachment, then laid some down. So far, so good; really excellent clarity and no orange peel to speak of. Total cure time is 24 hours, so I'll reinstall them tomorrow and see how long they last in the weather.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Gassed up this morning after returning to work in the office this week. This is my first "normal driving" tank of gas since last fall.

I calculated my mileage and I got over 27 MPG on this tank, with zero conservation efforts. If anything, I put my foot in it a little more than necessary. I usually don't look at the computer's mileage reading much, but I looked at it after driving a few miles this morning and I was over 30!

I've seen people here claim 27-31 MPG before, but I've never done better than 23-25 unless I really focus on maximizing mileage.

I'm certainly not complaining, but its just strange for me to do that well.

Since the last time I used the car regularly, I have replaced the PS pump, the Alternator, and the Battery.

I've also noticed my steering is easier than it used to be, which makes sense, but I'm wondering if my PS pump has been sapping my power significantly enough for all these years to do that much damage to my mileage...Crazy!

I did have the rack replaced under warranty early in the cars life due to a leak, so I wonder if there was damage to the pump at that time that never really got detected.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
lol, couldn’t tell you the last time I saw anything over 25.

New cleared headlight and 245 tire. Fender has been pulled a bit, but it will need more.

·
5,250 Posts
Installed new beam blade wipers, and used some quick detailer to reveal the kid-induced scrapes in the clear-coat.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
New inner tie rods on both sides, new outer tire rod on the right side. Steering was starting to feel a little sloppy at the last event, and I had the parts sitting around from an old RockAuto clearance haul.

Surprisingly drama-free. Bonus - ever since installing the SVT steering rack about 3 years ago or more, the wheel has been a little off; 1:00 when it was supposed to be straight. So I took this opportunity to fix that by adding/subtracting a turn on the front end. MIRACLES.

Car feels great to drive now. Probably putting the rear toe back to its original setting before next race, go back to baseline with the new tire package.

There’s a HUGE rust hole in the high-flow cat pipe. It’s beyond repair. I’m going to order some of that exhaust tape and redneck it until I can get another one.

·
Administrator
11,481 Posts
Finally got the engine back from the machine shop. Starting to reassemble everything. Valve covers are off getting powder coated flat, wrinkle black and I‘m waiting on a new water pump assembly as the one I had fell apart while cleaning it.

17FCC0B0-5C04-4EF3-8C93-8C957F24E81B.jpeg

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Spent my whole drive into work today wondering if its possible to rig up some sort of adaptive cruise control...My wife's Jeep has spoiled me!

I doubt it. I would probably need to find a car with a cable driven system that stands alone from the PCM AND uses the antiquated sensors and wiring that we have...Not likely.

I guess that's another argument for doing a modern systems install on the next project...

·
8,512 Posts
Spent my whole drive into work today wondering if its possible to rig up some sort of adaptive cruise control...My wife's Jeep has spoiled me!
Our Mazda has that. It's usually pretty nice, but there are times I wish I had a regular non-adaptive cruise control. It's pretty aggressive on the brakes, too; if you activate it too close to the vehicle in front, you'll regret it.

But I have a number of complaints about the nanny features in that car. I don't think the lane departure warning has actually warned me once when I was inattentively drifting out of the lane...it has, however, steered me back toward bicyclists, oversized vehicles, and potholes I was trying to avoid. 🤬 It bitched at me the other day when I got close to the line but was still in the lane. I cursed at it. I'd turn that **** off, except I'm not the only driver, and the whole reason we have that car is because an inattentive driver wrecked our Accord...

·
Administrator
15,454 Posts
Does it turn itself back on on every restart of the car by any chance?

I've never used the adaptive cruise on the Cherokee. Fortunately it has both so I use the standard one.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I was resistant to using the ACC in the Jeep at first too. I hated the "Nanny features" on a rental Hyundai I had for two months. I had many of the same complaints as Skater.
The Jeep in general doesn't interfere too much, my only real complaint is when the car in front of me is slowing to turn, it will freak out if it doesn't think I'm showing enough concern.
The adaptive cruise control has really grown on me though. I definitely miss it when I'm in the Cougar.
I've also fully assimilated to back-up cams which I didn't think was going to happen so I may need to upgrade my 15 year old stereo system pretty soon with a double din and backup cam. I constantly find myself thinking about how to move a screen up higher on the dash and moving the A/C controls down low or to another location altogether. If I thought I could do custom fab in ABS that would look right in the car, I would definitely have done it by now. Fiberglass is always an option but it wont ever look like it belongs there.

3681 - 3700 of 3738 Posts