New Cougar Forum banner

3661 - 3680 of 3738 Posts

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Ordered a Motorcraft unit from O’Reilly today; will be ready for pick up tomorrow, so I’ll drop it in tomorrow evening. Hopefully that’s the problem and not the gear inside the trans.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
OH AND ALSO I took my front license plate and all associated bracketry off the car. Ohio finally grew a pair and dropped the front plate requirement starting tomorrow! So now the Bullitt is legal too , finally.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Nice! Good that you still have your parts car around to get everything where you like it.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
O'Reilly Auto Parts has let me down with the online order process. My new VSS was supposed to be in the store for me to pick up first thing this morning, but as of now, it is still nowhere to be found.

In the meantime I pulled the old VSS out of my car (SHOCKINGLY easy to do BTW -didn't even need to get underneath it, I accessed it easily from the engine bay). The wiring on it was seriously degraded and the insulation was flaking off, plus the pigtail was twisted over on itself badly, so it's no surprise it's failing. So once O'Reilly gets their act together, I'll be able to drop in the new part and be on my way. Taking the car down to my dad's shop Friday morning to do some work on it before the July 12 race weekend.

·
Administrator
11,481 Posts
Not sure if I ever posted it, but my 3.0 wasn’t running right so I pulled it a few weeks ago and took it to a machine shop to tear it down and see what went wrong.

Got the report today and they seem to think it’s detonation, possibly from a bad tune (from Nautilus, too). Piston skirts were gone, but the rest of the engine was in good shape.

Bill is going to be...big. But the engine will be brand new and better than OEM. Considering all the other work I had done to the car it only made sense to finally put the engine right properly. Barring any huge rust issues I haven’t seen it should last a long time.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Yeah I’ve never replaced it, so it’s been in use for nearly 21 years and 211k miles. I splurged for the genuine Motorcraft replacement. If O’Reilly can get it to me.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
ALL RIGHT! New VSS is IN, street tires are ON, fuel tank is FULL, and it's all ready for the road trip tomorrow morning. Speedo now works as it should, so that was a super-easy fix.

Now if it wasn't so darn LOUD...

EDIT: Some kid in a Land Rover revved on me at a stop light today while I was driving to O'Reilly in the Bullitt. Actually REVVED on me.

He was history by the time I shifted into second gear. Hilarious.

Reactions: Joeyisamadman

·
Registered
366 Posts
Are you able to get a proper tune to make sure it wouldn't happen again? or does a stock 3L ECU do the job? And was the diagnosis that the sound we were hearing was detonoation? and not parts moving against each other?

·
Administrator
11,481 Posts
I think the tune I have from Brenspeed is better than the base from Nautilus because it never ran great from Nautilus (lacked power). The sound we were hearing was most likely piston slap according to the shop, and the pistons/bearing got damaged from a bad tune.

JaySperos suggested installing a wideband so I’ll have to find a good install guide on that. The one here is old and missing images.

·
Administrator
11,481 Posts
I think the last time I've opened a set of headlights was 18 years ago and they don't get any easier or less messy with age.

The actual euro set I have installed has some weird etching happening behind the lens, plus one side is fogging and a spider made a home in front of the element. So I'm opening those up to wet sand and clean everything out and changing the rear housing back to a set of US spec ones with yellowed and cracked lenses. It'll be nice to get the side marker light back.

So far 3 out of 4 sets opened and nothing's broken so far. But the wiring inside the US spec is completely dried and falling a part (Arizona car) so I'll either rewire it or transfer the euro ones over.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Trying to get the EGR pipe off the rear header, and the bung twisted off in the header. So had to remove the rear manifold and in the process of taking it to be welded shut now...

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Top tip - if you let the back end of the subframe drop down a bit, you can reach all six rear manifold bolts from under the car without too much trouble.

Car is back together with no EGR hardware at all now, finally, and minimal exhaust leaks. My high-flow cat is not stainless, so it is pretty full of pinholes. Otherwise it’s sound.

So if anybody has a 3-bolt high-flow cat section, get in touch. I’d love to be rid of this one.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My yellow car tried to kill me again last night.
I put a new battery in it this weekend and decided it was time to move it back to CT from the DC area.
Made it as far as northern NJ when all of a sudden one of my rear calipers decided to disintegrate. Yeah...stopping a car with a single cable operated rear brake is pretty scary (I'm glad I fixed that cable). Luckily I managed to get it into a gas station parking lot safely. My wife was following in the reliable vehicle so I wasn't totally stranded. a quick search of local part stores didnt come up with any available calipers in the area, so I decided I was going to plug the brake line and get home on three brakes. My wife "strongly discouraged" this plan after googling if it was safe or not. Damn internet! I ended up finding an Autozone that had one on the shelf 45 minutes away, so she sat with the car while I went to get it. Then I had the pleasure of changing a caliper and bleeding brakes in a Shell station parking lot in northern NJ at 10:00 at night. Yay.
The good news is I got it home, the bad news is I'm ready to burn it to the ground or drive it into a lake.
I really need to get Foundracer fully operational...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Forgot to post these last week. I've been wanting to make these lighter plugs for a while, and finally had access to dads lathe so I busted them out. Sadly, I managed to lose the silver one already, but the green one is safely plugged into Foundracer.
I was able to order the plugs off ebay, and I had grabbed the logos off a junkyard car, so I just used the lathe to cut out a hollow spot to inlay them.
It was a pleasant distraction from more serious issues.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
CEL code P1131 now, after rear manifold r&r. Not sure if I damaged the O2 sensor in the melee, or if there might be a manifold gasket leak. Cleared code, drove it to work today. We'll see if it comes back...

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Came back. Replaced bank 1 sensor 1 today, so I hope that does it.

Still need to adjust rear toe before this weekend...

3661 - 3680 of 3738 Posts