New Cougar Forum banner

3621 - 3640 of 3681 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
FWIW, I inquired to a lexan shop a few months ago about lexan replacements for the three rear windows and it was right around $1000.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
I can't justify that expense, but that is indeed a factor.

I'm trying to devise a plan on how to remove all the sunroof stuff but keep the panel, and seal it up.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Yeah, thats a lot of money for the wrong end of the car. The best thing you could say about it for autocross is it might push the COG down a bit. I might consider it for my imaginary run at the Bonneville 130 club, but not for your purposes.
Pull out the sunroof and glue a sheet of Lexan down over the hole?
Or I imagine it would probably be possible to come up with some kind of clamp that screws to the runner mounting points on the roof and clamps to the ceiling maybe?

·
Super Moderator
22,067 Posts
ive wanted to make an aluminum or carbon plug for a long time, my sunroof still works, but i never use it.

andy i think i have a arm rest free center console. maybe, i have 4-5
last time i weighed my car it was 2780 ish with the cage and subframe connectors

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I still fancy the idea of making a mold of the roof and just making an entire carbon fiber roof although I haven't found the inspiration to pull the windsheild out and get a cougar shaped hot tub the next time it rains.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
The SCCA's XS rules are here: https://www.scca.com/downloads/48556-xtreme-street-xs-rules-2020/download

The more I look at it, the more it seems that is really is just CAM for non-muscle cars.

As for glass -

Must have OE or OE-equivalent windshield. Side glass must be present if original for the vehicle and may be replaced with polycarbonate (e.g., Lexan®), minimum thickness 1/8” (0.125 in.; 3.2 mm).

Re: sunroof - the main thing holding me back is just the sealing aspect. The sunroof doesn't seal 100%; that's why there are drip trays and drain lines all around it. It's designed to leak, and for the leaks to be carried off down the pillars. So if I pull the tracks and stuff, that would eliminate the drains, so I have to seal it 100%, which will probably never work. And it would probably get REALLY MESSY.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
New GoPro arrived today, so I’ll be able to output 4K video with GPS overlays now. Look for new footage this weekend!

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Yeah I got the 8 Black. Supposedly anything from 5-on has GPS capability built in, you just have to export the videos through their awful "GoPro Quik" app to make the overlays. Once that's done you can pull them into iMovie or Premiere or whatever and edit them for real. I'm pretty jazzed to see how it goes.

RELATED NOTE - anybody who wants to buy a really good used GoPro, I'm selling my old one for $100. GoPro Hero+ LCD, which is halfway between a 4 and a 5. Doesn't have GPS capability, so that's why I replaced it. Otherwise it's tip-top. Sells for $200 on Amazon these days. Comes with everything you see here:

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Yeah the GoPro mobile app is okay, but their desktop app is the worst piece of junk ever. You can only export 30 or 60 second clips. And they try to throw their ridiculous happy music over everything, so you have to take the time to actually go in and turn it off. Truly awful; hopefully the outcry will force them to make something actually useful.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Pretty good haul of points today - P1 on Saturday, P2 on Sunday. Hurt lots of feelings. Video coming. GPS feature isn’t working on the GoPro, so I’m in troubleshooting mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rolled up to a cars and coffee, parked next to my friends eclipse gst, quite a few people thought it was an eclipse at first, but you already know what sounded better ;) new dual exhaust coming in tomorrow though.

Bonus video of some Beamer and Toyota ripping

·
Administrator
11,470 Posts
With the engine out I sprayed down the bay with scrubbing bubbles to get rid of some gunk and dirt. After some light agitation w/a brush it came out pretty good. Smells better than that other stuff that really lingers and smells chemically.

Also resprayed the headers with Zycot aerosol thermal paint. Gonna put the color coat on (Porsche grey) this week and let them bake in the 90* heat coming this week.

·
Administrator
11,470 Posts
They were pretty backed up so they said about 3 weeks till they can get to it. In that time I've been fixing things like replacing the control arms, ac dryer and condenser, paint touch-ups in the engine bay, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll edit my profile soon and get rid of the generic R. I just wanted to throw this out there and get anyone's opinion!

I'm a complete newbie in this forum, since I just got my Cougar yesterday! It's a 1999 with the V6 engine and 133K on it. A buddy and I towed it out of a relative's side yard where it had been sitting for five years. I spent today pumping water out of the spare tire well. What a horrible smell! From what I saw online, it sounds like the rear wiper grommet leaks when it gets this old, or the seal around the edge. I'll be checking that out soon.

The paint is a little faded, and the owner hit a deer and beat up the front bumper and grill, but there is NO RUST on the body anywhere other than under the top of the hatchback between the hinges. The interior is decent as well. It wouldn't fire up (it tried to catch a couple of times), but I think that's due to bad gas. I plan to jump the relay and pump it all out tomorrow, if the weather holds.

So... should I junk this car or should I keep it and rehab it? It was free to me; they just wanted it off their property. I even have the title. Any suggestions or warnings about this car? I was thinking about giving it to my daughter after I repaint it, but... as I'm working on it, I get the feeling it might be a really good car. Opinions? TIA!

·
8,504 Posts
So... should I junk this car or should I keep it and rehab it?
Rehab it! But drain and clean the fuel tank before trying to run it again...unless you want to spend a bunch of time working on the fuel system.

I have a motorhome project that has gone very slowly because I was too lazy to just drain the fuel tank and clean it from the start, and the gunk got in all of the system. I've now repaired or replaced everything but the fuel lines and fuel rail in that thing because of it. I just got the final component back the other day - I had to pull the injectors and have them refurbished. Hopefully, once I reinstall them, the motorhome will run correctly!

Reactions: RedRyder
3621 - 3640 of 3681 Posts