New Cougar Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 3617 Posts

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Haha! I need to make some video with the new axle-backs, once things dry up around here. It’s pretty glorious. Lots of crackle-pop.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Really missing my car right now. We had great weather yesterday and I would have loved to give it a spring detail and cruise. Unfortunately both of my Cougars are inaccessible to me until I can travel again, and neither is currently functional.

Maybe I just need to buy another one...

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
I drove mine to the BP to get a can of fuel for the mower. Too bad none of my cars need fuel right now. Saving tons of money by not driving though!

Battery was flat from sitting around; had to roll it down the drive and bump start it in reverse.

Did a couple of redline pulls. Just for yuks.

·
8,493 Posts
Mine has a slow leak in the left rear tire. We're trying to rotate which car we drive for errands when we do need to go out, but every time it's the Cougar's turn it's like, "Ah, crap. Tire." I have one of those plug kits, and the tires should be replaced soon anyway, so I should try to plug it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone have a part number for the passenger axle with mid shift and carrier? Every part CV I found doesn't have the extra length with carrier bearing.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Awesome job. I was just looking at those tanks the other day on either rock auto or ebay.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I got Yeeted for loud exhaust on my probe leaving from a light - I shifted at like 2300 RPM. it's a full borla line with a resonator. it's my first exhaust / modification ticket.

I'm framing it.. .right after I stick a muffler and a cat on this old bird.

the Cougar is still all in pieces, but I'm making progress, so that's good. and it's also getting a new can. since the probe got checked, I expect the Cougar to be as well.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Getting pretty excited to see my Yellow car and hopefully get it back on the road and brought home this weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put my battery back in after a 24 hour charge, and it started right up!

30 seconds later the battery light was back on. To be fair it barely hit 12v immediately after connecting it and the charger's amp meter never got as low as I would have liked...
Can't complain after 4 years of use considering it had been in use when bought. Good excuse to buy a lithium!

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
First autocross event is this coming Saturday, so I have been working the cobwebs out.

The front coilover springs have always been too short, so I ended up finding some 1-inch longer ones (that are also 30% stiffer: up to 650# now, from a 500# spring last season) and put those in earlier in the year. Turns out they are STILL too short. I can get them adjusted just fine, but when I jack up the car, it doesn't keep the tension and the spring falls out - so I have to be really careful lowering it back down to make sure everything seats.

ANYWAY I adjusted the ride height on these as low as I could get them, which doesn't do me any favors re: springs falling out when jacking. The ride height is just about right, but I REALLY wish I could use a longer spring to keep the tension all the time. However I can't move the perch any lower because it's now sitting on the mounting ring for the sway bar link.

So now I'm shopping for some shorter sway bar links. Since I can move the mounting ring as much as I like, I have a lot of flexibility with this; it's just a matter of finding something that is as long as possible but not TOO long. Hoping to find something about 2 inches shorter than the ones I have now, and getting a spring that is about 2 inches taller, then dropping the perch to match.

Hopefully the stiffer front end allows both rear wheels to stay on the ground a bit more than before; it tweaks like a GTI in corners. Failing that, I might go back to the original Cougar front sway bar if it's still rotating well.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I never have liked the strut mount coming off the spring when you jack the car up. Always seemed a bit cheap in their design.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Pretty productive weekend on the yellow car. I started off thinking I was going to replace the alt cable and be good.
That escalated to replacing the alternator, then when I started the car I had a wicked vacuum leak at the EGR valve.
Trying to fix that, I discovered I had somehow managed to strip out the bolt holes for the EGR valve so I had to drill and tap larger holes. My available tools at my kids house where the car is were not really adequate so I had to fight with improper tools through the whole ordeal. (Dont buy the autozone tap handles)
Good news: the car seems to run great now.
Bad news: The battery is toast. It wont take a charge at all anymore.
Worse news: I had to leave it at my kids house again because the logistics of bringing it home with me just weren't in place. I overlooked that little detail when planning this trip.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Ehhh it happens. I was planning on driving Luci this summer but looking like thats a possibility that wont happen now. You'll get it.

3581 - 3600 of 3617 Posts