·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Good news/bad news situation...

Good:
I found what was draining my battery

Bad:
My alternator cable is charcoal.

It looks like the oil from my PS leak was dripping on the connector and loosened it up enough that it shorted to the alternator housing.
At least it didnt catch on fire driving down the New Jersey turnpike, but I have limited time available to fix it and get it on the road.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Drove the thing to work today in the rain, just to get a sneak peek of what conditions will be like on course this weekend.

71R's are awesome in the wet, BTW. Not sure how they will cope with 45° temps AND wet, but I guess everybody's in the same boat. At least I'm not on Hoosiers...

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts
Thought I was being clever and used an OEM accordion intake tube to make the K&N CAI kit (the one w/the giant filter and sealed box) work with the 3.0l throttle body. Because the bend to go from where the intake is to the TB is so tight and short, and the throttle cable bracket is in the way.

Worked great. Until you're on the highway and above 3k when suddenly the accordion part collapses and it feels like a boat anchor is dropped.

Actually, this may be something worse. Car shut off taking a couple slow turns, maybe I killed a new fuel pump with the 3.0l.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thought I was being clever and used an OEM accordion intake tube to make the K&N CAI kit (the one w/the giant filter and sealed box) work with the 3.0l throttle body. Because the bend to go from where the intake is to the TB is so tight and short, and the throttle cable bracket is in the way.

Worked great. Until you're on the highway and above 3k when suddenly the accordion part collapses and it feels like a boat anchor is dropped.

Actually, this may be something worse. Car shut off taking a couple slow turns, maybe I killed a new fuel pump with the 3.0l.
Check for intermittent leaks...Maybe the IACV supply line or other metered portion of the system. Anything you touched goes to the top of the suspect list.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Went to see a red '99 in a pick-n-pull this weekend.
Not much of value on it. Its a V6 auto, interior is trashed, sunroof has already been picked.
It does have good lights on all four corners (fronts need to be polished) and intact visteon spoiler and scoop, the mirrors seem okay too although the D-side is dangling, but I don't see any damage but that's about it for the hard-to-find parts that might be worth saving. .

I did pick the front wiper fluid supply tubing for my yellow car, the ABS aero tray under the front of the engine for my project car, and the trunk privacy lid and A-pillar trim for a couple custom projects I've been wanting to do.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Went down a little rabbit hole just now and learned something new...
I just had to junk my winter beater Grand Cherokee so sometime this year I'm hoping to replace it with something.
I was browsing Craigslist and looked over a couple Jaguar X-types when I realized for the first time that they made them in 2.5l variants but kept the same 6 runner intakes that the 3.0l models had.

I did not know that.

That means its possible (pending comparison) that the Jag 6-runner heads may fit on our 2.5l blocks. I guess the big thing I just don't know enough about is if the VVT modifications can be worked around or not because I just dont know how it works.
As I thought more about it I realized there's no legitimate reason to ever do something like this UNLESS you were in a racing circuit where you needed to stay at stock displacement or under 3l so I guess I wont put any more brain power into it...just a curiosity.

·
8,493 Posts
That means its possible (pending comparison) that the Jag 6-runner heads may fit on our 2.5l blocks. I guess the big thing I just don't know enough about is if the VVT modifications can be worked around or not because I just dont know how it works.
I'm pretty sure this is addressed in the 3.0L FAQ, or something like that. I distinctly recall reading something about Jag heads here somewhere.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is addressed in the 3.0L FAQ, or something like that. I distinctly recall reading something about Jag heads here somewhere.
Yeah, I remember that too but I think it really just said about swapping in VVT engines to "Dont do it, we dont have VVT". That makes sense because our PCM's dont support it. I just dont know what the actual physical differences are or if the VVT components can be ignored or replaced.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You don't want a VVT engine even if it was compatible. Nothing but problems.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
MMC757, I legit have a whole 3L off a Lincoln LS at home, in pieces, right now. Same 3L as in a jaguar S-type or X-type. Lemme know if and how I can help. If you want pics of the heads or sketches of bolt patterns, I can do that.

These engines are DAMB heads by the way, not Rffs.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
MMC757, I legit have a whole 3L off a Lincoln LS at home, in pieces, right now. Same 3L as in a jaguar S-type or X-type. Lemme know if and how I can help. If you want pics of the heads or sketches of bolt patterns, I can do that.

These engines are DAMB heads by the way, not Rffs.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
No, Ive got no interest in pursuing this in the real world, I just thought it was interesting to learn they made 6-runner 2.5l engines. Ive long believed that our 12-runner systems are the biggest detriment to getting more power from an NA 2.5.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would be inclined to agree. what's the point of having 24 valves if you're only using half of them like, a third of the time?.. I understand the flow dynamics mean they mostly come in handy at higher flow rates, so higher RPMs, but come on. no koeniggsegg or other über-engineered car out there disables half the valves at low RPM, that I know of. if it was a large advantage or benefit, they'd be doing it, right?

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
I moved mine out of the driveway so I could get the Bullitt out and take it to Five Guys to pick up dinner. Gotta make the rumbly noises.

3561 - 3580 of 3617 Posts