New Cougar Forum banner

3541 - 3560 of 3617 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was wondering what my worst case would be thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try using a nut and my welding machine first.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Repaired and rewrapped the portion of my engine harness that runs along the rear valve cover tonight. Started taking the stock fuel line out yesterday but it's too cold currently.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey hey, i just uploaded a video on how to replace your mirror on the ‘99-‘02 mercury cougar to youtube. You should be able to search for it and follow the steps there to fix your mirror!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I replaced my rear lca bushings and trimmed them to properly fit my subframe instead of bending it like I did 12 years ago. Also replaced the subframe with a less rusty one. Cleaned up the away bar bushings and installed new heim joints on the lca's. I also replaced the fuel tank gasket so hopefully it doesn't leak any more. And to finish it off I removed the broken subframe bolt. I used a thick washer my welder and and a large nut. The welder has paid for itself again.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Why would you need to trim or bend anything for rear bushings?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why would you need to trim or bend anything for rear bushings?
Stangkiller tubular rear control arms come with poly inserts that are too wide for the subframe. They needed to be trimmed to fit properly. Also my car came from Manchester New Hampshire so my original subframe was a bit flaky to begin with. When I first installed the arms I just took a hammer and widened the gap to make it fit. I did it proper this time around. I drove it today filled it to the top with gas and am happy to report no leaks or squeaks.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
79 degrees out..... it is cougar season lol.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah, I'm stuck in England with a rental Hyundai and I've got one Cougar in my kids garage for the winter, and my other cougar is in my dads garage refusing to start.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
finally fixed the damn wipers. been dealing with those for months, and I've just been putting it off. I have to get used to being able to just flick it downward again for a single wipe.

I also swapped the stock shift knob out for one out of those damn ubiquitous Toyota Echos. same thread- M12x1.25. Hatchback or the ugly Platz, both are the same. they're a bit 'tall', so I trimmed it down about 7/8''. even then, it's over twice the weight (180g vs 67g for stock). it feels nicer, but Confirmation bias always makes sure it does. that idea needs refining - I'd like to add more weight to the Echo knob somehow [edit : I might just drill and re-tap another mazda shift knob instead. seriously, they're really nice.] I have a Mazda 3 OEM shifter in the probe, and that thing made a serious difference - it's 300 grams flat, but it's M10 instead of M12. after that, I'm turning my attention to cable ends, then bracing the cables, then maybe shortening my leftover stock shifter a little bit shorter than my current short shifter (thanks, LostOffspring, you're the MVP).
comparison :

·
Administrator
15,431 Posts
finally fixed the damn wipers. been dealing with those for months, and I've just been putting it off. I have to get used to being able to just flick it downward again for a single wipe.

I also swapped the stock shift knob out for one out of those damn ubiquitous Toyota Echos. same thread- M12x1.25. Hatchback or the ugly Platz, both are the same. they're a bit 'tall', so I trimmed it down about 7/8''. even then, it's over twice the weight (180g vs 67g for stock). it feels nicer, but Confirmation bias always makes sure it does. that idea needs refining - I'd like to add more weight to the Echo knob somehow [edit : I might just drill and re-tap another mazda shift knob instead. seriously, they're really nice.] I have a Mazda 3 OEM shifter in the probe, and that thing made a serious difference - it's 300 grams flat, but it's M10 instead of M12. after that, I'm turning my attention to cable ends, then bracing the cables, then maybe shortening my leftover stock shifter a little bit shorter than my current short shifter (thanks, LostOffspring, you're the MVP).
comparison
I like the look of the Mustang knob, and it's a direct swap:

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
The 09-11 Focus used one just like that Mustang unit. I have one sitting in my garage that I was going to put on my Laser Red, but I don't think it's compatible with our reverse lockout, so I never got around to it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When I cut mine down, I cut it too short to use the reverse lockout. What I ended up doing for the boot was flipping the reverse lockout upside down and cutting the excess plastic off so that it would fit up into the knob. Then I just ziptied the boot back onto the lockout device.
Thats probably been over ten years ago now, and I can safely say I've never accidentally gone into reverse. Phew.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I went to swap my idler pulley today and realized it was metal and I could just press out the old crappy China bearing. Lucky enough I had a minty skf 6203-2rs bearing hanging around pressed it in and it's all back together now. The only bad news is I still have a squeak it's obviously not the only bad bearing on the accessory drive. I'm starting to think gates doesn't make very good replacement parts.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I am about to pimp-my-cougar today! I don't have the XZibit, but what I can do - I can become an Xzibit by myselft, just for this purpose, lol. . By the way, if anybody can recommend the best way how can i get the car lifted - I would be really glad if you share, cause I can't choose the right one here, and need a nice recommendation.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Replaced my PS pump in the yellow car. Didn't have time to test it yet, but I at least filled it and will see what happens after a couple days.
That job wasn't as bad as I feared it might be.
I also really need to get under there and look for a brake leak and figure out why my battery is dying before I return it to the road
Happy to be home and wrenching on the car again.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just a heads up if you have problems locating a brake leak. I ended up finding one coming from the rear emergency brake portion of the rear caliper. It was leaking into the cap over the ebrake linkage and when I tipped the caliper over it poured out.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Oh man, now that I have my login straightened out -

I replaced the 6” 500# front springs with 7” 650# springs. Bolted up a new hub assembly to the right front. Took the front wheels on and off about 12 times messing with the coilovers. Dumped in 6 fresh quarts of Mobil1 5W-30. And mounted up the Rotas. Saturday is pre-season test, and Sunday is points event 1! 40’s and rain; should be all-sideways all the time.

3541 - 3560 of 3617 Posts