New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cougar Eliminator was presented to the public at SEMA in 1998.

Does anyone know what happened to the Eliminator afterwards? Does it still exist? Where is it today?

Other known facts and details are on my website > Das Einzelstück Mercury Cougar Eliminator - RedCougar.de

I would be happy if anyone knew something.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I dont know if anyone knows what happened to that car or not...But Jaged's car is probably the closest thing to it...if it were a race car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the Cougar S prototype is in a private collection.
Yeah, I know that. It was sold at Christie's on June 16, 2002 for $ 49,350.
I also know the MC2 concept car stayed in a warehouse at the Ford Design Center in Dearborn.

I am specifically looking for information about the Cougar Eliminator. It would be sad if no one knew anything about his whereabouts.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I would almost bet that they destroyed it. They probably never got it reliable enough to sell it off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That’s just like this V8 RWD cougar, probably got destroyed. Been debating on doing a RWD now since no emissions in WA anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
The Eliminator was repainted a pearl yellow. It made an appearance at Cougarfest 2001. The Visteon lip was not on it at the time. They told us it was being kept in storage at the time (The same place as the MC2 that you mentioned). Don't know what happened to it after that. Here are some photos I took of it that day.

Cougarfest 2002 (22).jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can't believe the yellow Cougar is the real Eliminator that was introduced at SEMA.
It is possible that the real Eliminator was repainted after the performance, but I can't believe the seats were repainted without leaving any residue.

Except for the rims and the Recaro seats, it has nothing in common with the Eliminator and you could buy them anywhere. Was the exhaust system also dismantled?

Sorry, but I think someone wanted to make himself important.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Well, Ford themselves brought it out for us to the show and said it was the Eliminator. Not sure what you mean about your comment about "someone wanted to make himself important". I honestly can't remember the conversations that the guy and I had (and probably others) about it being green before, as it was 19 years ago. He talked extensively about the yellow pearl. Also, just because the original seats were green on the back, doesn't mean they were the exact same seats on the yellow one. They could have replaced the seats entirely.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
M plate makes me think it could have been crushed. Probably never road legal... Could be mothballed in Ford building near where those pictures were taken at the automotive hall of fame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts