New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can I do while tranny is out of car?

Do you have to pull the engine in order to get the tranny out, and if so, might that be a good time to do a cam swap? I have a set of SVT heads and cams sitting at home doing nothing and although the heads need a lot of work and hopefully a port and polish before I try to throw them in my car, would it be feasible to do the cam swap now while the engines out of the car because of the tranny?

If it's possible, what would I need to make an SVT cam swap into a 2002 returnless V6 MTX. I'm thinking SVT ECU, and as a result, 19bs injectors, and SVT MAF and MAF sensor, as well as the cam timing chain I'm assuming? Is that it or would I need more then just those items?

Is there anything else I should try to do while the engine is out short of separating the heads from the shortblock? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adrian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe baffled v6 oil pan, dual mass crank damper, and electric water pump?

Also, I just thought about this as well. I have a S-AFC II on it's way in the mail already. Could that handle all of my fuel tuning needs instead of getting the SVT ecu, injectors, maf, etc., or would I still need the ECU because of timing related issues?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Would recommend the SVT ECU the second you put in the SVT cams. The cam grind is just different enough to give the stock ECU fits. The SVT ECU is expecting the hotter grind. Plus, you'll need a set of 19#ers like the SVT ECU is expecting. Then tune with the S-AFC.

Oh- Centerforce clutch, Fidanza flywheel and a Torsen/Quaife? :banana:

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
to do the cams, you'll also need all new head bolts and gaskets.... so take that into consideration before you do it...

electric water pump is more problems than gains....

i'm still not sold on the baffled oil pan, but for added security and the cheap price, clevitte rod bearings are very useful....

DMD can be done anytime, and it would actually be easier when engine is in car....

definetely do clutch and flywheel if you can afford it, and get a LSD be it torsen, or quaiffe or phantom grip....

also you don't have to pull the engine with the trans, but there isn't much more to it when doing so, and it would be a little easier to attach/detach the trans when it's all out....

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Wouldnt there be problems with PATS and the SVT ECU. I believe your gonna have problems, so instead of taking the keys to Ford to have them reprogrammed, it would also be a good idea to pick up a PATS defeater box. They are avaliable at AutoZone and you can get one made by DEI. $20-$30 is much better than paying Ford to reprogram PATS.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
why would you need new head bolts and gaskets? you're not removing the heads to just swap cams...

outlaw - the engine doesn't nececarilly need to be pulled to swap the trans out...
when i did my clutch swap i removed the subframe and lowered the engine enough to get the trans off..
lowered about 8"-10" or so..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
change you muffler bearings while you have everything apart

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have plans to do the torsen diff., SPEC stage 1 clutch, and findaza flyhwheel, as well as upgrading to Focus transmisson forks and shift tower. From reading all of your posts, it sounds like there's no real need to do either the dmd, oil pan, or electric pump right now, but I think I'm defintiley going to try and do those cams. Why do I need to change the gaskets though if I'm just replacing the cams?

Is there anyone or any place where I might be able to pick up an SVT ECU and injectors quickly? Could I just have my stock ECU reprogrammed to SVT specs? Also, if I go with the 19lbs injectors, do I have to get a new MAF and MAF sensor?

Thanks,

Adrian

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
You could just go with a custom chip from Street Flight to take advantage of the SVT cams and injectors... May be a little more expensive than a svt ecu but you wouldn't need to worry abotu PATS etc....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahhhhh, very good, that probably means I wouldn't need the S-AFC either. I'll give them a call today, thanks Nick.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
I was under the impression you were doing the SVT heads & Cams.... if you are doing just the cams, then you'll only need to get new timing cover gaskets which are pennies on the dollar....

however to get all the gains i would do the heads also...

as for PATS and using a DEI module.... people are very badly mistaken about the PATS defeater boxes..... none of them actually defeat PATS, all they do is emulate your key.... basically they are like black box keys.... you program them to your key and mount the box in your steering column, when you try to start your car this little box will send your key's signal to the PATS module.... but you still need to have a key that works with that ECU.... long story short, you'll still need to get the ECU flashed..... i'm not sure what others pay, but I paid a whopping 45$ CDN (about 30$ US) at my local dealership to have him flash my keys to my SVT ECU... it takes them litterally like 10 mins to do it

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on doing the heads eventually, but I can't really afford the P&P work right now and I don't think it makes sense to have them put in there without that.

I just ordered the street flight chip with the custom burn for the mods I have and the SVT cams and injectors but I have a question. Now that I have the SFC, is there any point in holding onto the S-AFC II that I just ordered the other day before I blew my trans? I plan on running nitrous eventually, would it be useful in that application?

Thanks

Adrian

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'd recommend all 3 upgraded shifter forks.
Replacing the 1-2 & 3-4 syncros with the revised ones.
SPEC Stage 1 clutch set
Torsen LSD (bearings & gear)

You can also toss in a SPEC flywheel if you have the extra cash. IT'S WELL WORTH IT!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Originally posted by: DemonSVT
SPEC Stage 1 clutch set

You can also toss in a SPEC flywheel if you have the extra cash. IT'S WELL WORTH IT!!! :cool:
Can I ask why you recommend the Torsen over the Quaife? When I start to turn the power on in this car, I was planning on Quaife with Fidanza. What are the advantages to using a Torsen dif over Quaife, and the SPEC flywheel over the Fidanza (or is that just your brand preference for the same thing?).

Also, where should I look to find more info on those tranny upgrades you guys are talking about? CEG?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: Massiv
Originally posted by: DemonSVT
SPEC Stage 1 clutch set

Can I ask why you recommend the Torsen over the Quaife? When I start to turn the power on in this car, I was planning on Quaife with Fidanza. What are the advantages to using a Torsen dif over Quaife, and the SPEC flywheel over the Fidanza (or is that just your brand preference for the same thing?).

Also, where should I look to find more info on those tranny upgrades you guys are talking about? CEG?

Thanks,

Massiv.

Quiafe has a bias ratio of 2:1
Torsen has a bias ratio of 3:1

·
Registered
627 Posts
I,ve got BRAND NEW SVT 19# injectors! I'll PM you with pricing.

Thanks,
Nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts