New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm not talking looks only mechanical aspects. I'm really thinking of a 225hp version with a chip (260 hp, 270 tq), and some 19's and calling it a day. I know the 1.8T is damn near indestructable, but has anyone heard of anything that I should be aware of? Thanks

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
i have been in a few... it was the second most mechanically secure feeling transmission i have ever tossed the stick around on... it felt amazing... it is most likely my next can once i am out of college and my insurance rates drop because my tickets get off my rcord.... and you can't go wrong with the reliablity of Audi AWD

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by: joemamaTypeR
It's overpriced for what you get.
I kind of feel the same way, but I have nothing to support the idea. Care to explain?

Also, on an image side, I don't like the looks. Too round, looks like a squashed VW bug.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I agree its a little overpriced but I can snatch a coupe up for 25K with 12K miles it seems to be a lot of car for the money. HIDS, interior rules, AWD, 6spd, good mileage (when not playing), reliable, good warranty, etc etc. Low 6 sec high 5 sec 0-60 is fine for my driving style so I'm mainly looking for something I can take clients in, still be sporty, really unique (in this area I have never seen one), and of course good in the winter. There aren't many other cars I have found that can do this besides the 3000GT VR-4 (there are others but none as sporty looking)

The SRT-4, WRX, EVO, etc are faster but it would almost be embarassing taking someone in those cars being loud, plain interior, etc.

Back to the TT any mechanical issues anybody heard of?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
mechanics = :thumbsup:
exterior = :thumbsdn: - it really does look like a VW beetle
interior = :thumbsup:

... if i COULD go for it, i probably would - i know my mom would love one :)
if you do get it, take lots of pictures of it so i can show her - we've never seen one up close

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD

if you do get it, take lots of pictures of it so i can show her - we've never seen one up close
lol Matt , your mom wants a Cobra...... im trying to get my dad to buy an 03 Cobra..... too bad he would never see it if he did get one :rofl:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug

lol Matt , your mom wants a Cobra...... im trying to get my dad to buy an 03 Cobra..... too bad he would never see it if he did get one :rofl:
Cobra??? heh, I WILL take the cobra :biggrin: ... my mom wants the TT that kinger wants (the Audi TT i think he is talking about) she either wants that or a regular vw beetle... i think you can guess which one i am more in favour of :tongue:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by: CbOy2000
Isn't the TT coming out with a V6 model for 2004?? Im not sure on horsepower or cost but im sure someone on here does and if u wait a year and get a used one of these the price might be good. :)
Yeah I don't want the 250hp V6 N/A. I'm done with NA cars ;) I would want the 1.8T with a chip it makes more power then the V6 and get 30mpg highway :)

Attached is the pict of how mine would look with 19's, for some reason the wheels just make this car.

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug

regular vw beetle... i think you can guess which one i am more in favour of :tongue:
get the beetle with the 1.8t lol , just imagine saying " Dude you just got beat by a damn Beetle....oops my flower fell outta the cup" :rofl:

okay back on topic, sorry for teh thread jackin :(

S

·
0 Posts
Audi is bringing out a new TT, 3.2L V6 250-bhp:thumbsup:
Im in the market of either getting the new Audi S4- V6 350bhp or the M3 I-6 333bhp

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Audi TT belongs in the Smithsonian. Freeman Thomas created a masterpiece under J. Mays at VAG. It may go down in history as the best designed car in the last 30 years - I personally don't think its the best but certainly in my top 3 or 4. The attention to detail everywhere on this car is astounding. I would love to have a 1.8T Quattro myself but I would be extremely hesitant about modifying it in a cosmetic sense. Lowering the car too much or choosing the wrong set of wheels can really muck up the design of this car very easily. Even the most reknown VAG tuners in Europe have royally screwed up this car with even the slightest of modifications. Personally, I would limit my wheel choices to those offered by Audi only for this reason - at least you know that those are designed by professionals for the car.

The 3000GT is an enjoyable car, I'm sure, but its not a car that will stand out in automotive history. It'll be just another expensive, gadget-ridden, 1990s sports car from Japan with the typical jelly-bean body design.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
i have talked to a couple people that drive the 3000GT (one of them has the VR4) and they say it is fast, but are not crazy about how heavy it is and the poor handling....

the TT looks like an upside-down bath tub...but as you can see by the 350Z, the styling is carrying over to other cars anyway. Id drive a Quattro too...easily.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by: Pinhy
i have talked to a couple people that drive the 3000GT (one of them has the VR4) and they say it is fast, but are not crazy about how heavy it is and the poor handling....

the TT looks like an upside-down bath tub...but as you can see by the 350Z, the styling is carrying over to other cars anyway. Id drive a Quattro too...easily.

That is the first I have ever heard of poor handling....they must not know how to drive it. I have driven many, many cars of all types and this is by far the best handling car of any.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I almost brought a TT...

I don't think it is over priced. People pay a lot more for a Toyota or Dodge pickup truck now days than a $30k TT. a $30k Toyota or pickup truck... that's over priced.

From a purely mechnical perspective... yes, TT is not all that different from a VW Golf GTi but the same can be said about a $20k Cougar vs $15k Contour back in 1999. What makes the TT unique and worth the money is the combination of one of the most alluring exterior design, the best interior of ALL time, excellent handling, and ample power from the turbo powertrain.

No car in modern histroy can come close to Audi TT in the combination of enthusiastic driving and the appreciation of athetic and good taste.

In terms of what to look for: I would just go to VW Vortex or Audiworld and read up on the owners. The 1.8T is generally considered to be reliable, although some turbo problems pop up once in a while which is normal for turbo engines. If you can pick one up for low $20k, I would do it. This car will depreciation relatively slowly once it is pass the 3 year mark because of the enthuiaist factor - not unlike Mazda Miata.

Truth be told, the reason I didn't buy a TT is because I wasn't interested in the turbo. To me turbo lag is not worth my trouble. The 3.2 VR6 TT would be my choice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts