New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this...

What do most people consider custom, is it how you have everything set up, parts, color schemes. What? I want to know what most people would consider custom. Where everything is placed? What?Stereo setup as well...

EDIT: Thankyou moderator who moved this to a proper forum :)

·
Administrator
11,560 Posts
RE: Not sure where to put this...

Custom used to mean something you did yourself. Now it means anything you do to separate your car from it's stock counterparts.

I guess to really separate your car from others that are into the same (like here) would be to do something like a paintjob & molding & shaving stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
RE: Not sure where to put this...

custom is anything other than something that is normally equipt on the car.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
RE:Not sure where to put this...

Originally posted by: EricF
custom is anything other than something that is normally equipt on the car.
thats what i think. if i can tell a difference from a car that has mods, and a stock car, then its custom. even if it just has a new exhaust, or a new headunit or something.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

According to Webster, The term 'Custom' means 'made to individual specifications'

technically thats still kinda lossy. Does 'individual' mean person? or singular? can 3 people individually custom apply a razzi kit to their cougar? or is only the first cougar to have the razzi kit, then being the individual, have the right to be called custom?

::pulls hair out::

For me, i dont give a crap how many cougars have a razzi kit, theyre each customIZED... theyre all Custom.

100% Custom would be a self designed airbrush paintjob or a VTEC bolted into an I4 or something.

·
Registered
378 Posts

To me if its custom its something not many people have or no one but you has. Something rare that sets you apart from the crowd to me is custom. Like the extended dragontail hood Bloodrave has is custom, the special lighting things Excelcier does is custom, fiber glass gauge pods and sub boxes are custom. This is just some examples of what i think constitutes custom.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like more thoughts on this and to here many people's opinions and to try and get a definition that can be used well and can be straight in the dictionary I have in my head(its a very small dictionary)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
to me... custom is that 'one of a kind' ****...

for example - my graphics and gauges = custom...
i drew and designed them myself, and no one else on the planet has them.

James' airbag cover (with the 4 gauge pods) = custom.
his roll cage = custom & his vents = custom

a fiberglass audio setup could also be concidered custom... to me.

stuff like a painted dash, sub box, and spacing out your c-o-u-g-a-r letters is NOT custom...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD

stuff like a painted dash, sub box, and spacing out your c-o-u-g-a-r letters is NOT custom...
I'd have to slightly disagree, I'd agree that the above isn't "unique" however I'd have to say that it is "customized". For example, my Coug isn't "Unique" by any means, however I consider it "customized" cause of the few little things I've changed to it. But everyone has their own ideas of what custom is, and you're right in tha fact that many are just copying off of other's ideas (including myself). But that's what makes the car modding world fun, someone comes up w/ a great idea/product, then can either share it w/ others or make a profit selling it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
anything you make or do yourself using parts/paint that isn't specifically designed for an addition to your car...not somethin that's in production you add...unless you modify the production part like adding teeth to a dragon z bumper (nd4spd) and stuff like that.....i don't understand how someone could consider a body kit taht everyone has custom....

to me that's what custom is....i know there's many who will disagree...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: 01blkcat
To me, anything that isn't stock is basically 'custom'. You 'customize' your vehicle to meet your needs.
amen.

do what you want to your car, that is all. :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Croc
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
I'd have to slightly disagree, I'd agree that the above isn't "unique" however I'd have to say that it is "customized". For example, my Coug isn't "Unique" by any means, however I consider it "customized" cause of the few little things I've changed to it.
:)
ye definitely i'll go with customized...I named the dash because although it is diffrent from stock, painting it doesn't really alter it other than changing the color.

I just think that 'custom' means going that extra mile...
For Example: a painted dash is cool and alright... i'll even say customIZED to the owners taste. But, an AIRBRUSHED dash with a picture, graphic or design on it is truly custom.

a good example i'd like to use, is Said7's door panels in his car... http://www.cougardb.com/image.php?id=33
while most of us have changed ours, hes gone that EXTRA distance as an artist, and done some crazy isht to them. :)

Like Jason said - my bumper... i added the fangs. and while i concider that, yes, i've 'customized' my bumper, i don't find it peticularly "custom" since im not the first / only one in the world who has it.

I guess when it all comes down to it, i work like this... 3 'levels'
Stock
Customized (stuff that differs from stock)
Fully Custom (going the extra distance and having something that NO ONE else has)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok...so i think i'm getting this hole "Custom" definition now...

Anything designed by(owner of car-airbrushed graphics on exterior or dash )
Something that sets you apart from the crowd(My tint for expample)
Out of the ordinary say carbon fiber hatch or something

I want to be able to consider myself Custom next year when the car is complete. And I wasn't sure of what most people thought the word ment, cause I had no idea. Thanks for helping me out NECO :)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Wouldn't custom cover 2 things....

Basically if you put an intake/exhaust or Wing/rims on a car, isn't your car custom to you...So in that case you can say you have a custom cougar...

However...that definition is using the term custom very loosely.

I say custom is getting something done that is not a mass produced part, and/or altering a mass produced part to your needs or liking.

So buying an injen intake and a borla exhaust isn't custom, but going to a muffler shop and getting a one-time job, where the guy fabricates the intake and exhaust to his own specs, that would be custom.

I guess anything non-mainstream would be a custom job...but it does not mean you are the only one with it...It basically means you are one of few.

Then on the dictionary definition of custom, I think of a chip. You get a "Custom Burn" to your specs. This is something made to the individuals specifications...a kit or any performance setup could fit in this definition too.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
ahh yes true true... i like that way of putting it alot more.

and ya Magoo - your tint is definitely custom...
if you took a bodykit from another car, and changed it to fit on a cougar - that'd be custom too (for a cougar)

basically - look at that cavalier that James goes to shows at ... everything on that car is concidered custom.

but yeah, i think there is a fine line between what REALLY *is* custom, and what kids are calling custom...
when talking about racing seats - you could say that "oh that car has custom racing seats" but really, all the owner did was shell out the cash, remove the stock ones, and dropped the new ones in.
To me - thats just "oh, he bought new seats"... nothing custom about that.
BUT - those seats aren't stock... so some people would concider them custom... heh,

as PGT said - its a term that is being used very loosely now a days :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Oh hey! i just thought of a way to tell whats custom and what isn't...

If you are ever unsure, just go to your local dealership, or bodyshop place, and tell them what you want to do, and tell them that you want THEM to do it...

If they moan, whine and complain about it... its probably is a custom job :rofl:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Humorous perspective :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts