New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to hook up a 10" 400w R/F sub & a cheep 200w amp to a stock cd player? Or can I just hook up the sub like a 5th speaker and if I can what type of wires can I use? If I can't hook it up without the amp what do I need? Sorry I don't know nonthing about audio.... All I want is more bass but I want to keep the stock speakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Depending on the amp you have, you may need a line-converter. If the amplifier has speaker-level inputs, you can splice off the rear speaker wires into your amp. If the amp only has RCA inputs, you need a line-level converter that will convert the speaker leads into a RCA connection. Either way you'll be splicing off the speaker leads.

To wire the amp, you'll need at least 8 Gauge wire from the battery to the trunk (12V+), a piece of ground wire that you can ground the amp (-) and a remote turn on lead (12V switched power will work in this case).

If you need any additional help, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to answer all of your questions. I hope I didn't confuse you more.

-drew-

·
Registered
75 Posts
It wouldn't be in your best interest to do so...subs need power. Much more power than a factory deck could put out. It is very harmful to the speaker to underpower it. Not only that, but subs are meant to play LOWS. Hopefully your amp has a built in crossover (low-pass filter) on it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.