New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i want to beat all these hondas and acuras out here in lancaster ca.i have a stock 99 v6 cougar its 2.5l.what can i put in it to make it much faster because i timed the 0-60 mi self and it was at 14sec. i think thats pretty slow. and how much would it be to fix it up.i will b looking at the threads to find some answer as well.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
ok i want to beat all these hondas and acuras out here in lancaster ca.i have a stock 99 v6 cougar its 2.5l.what can i put in it to make it much faster because i timed the 0-60 mi self and it was at 14sec. i think thats pretty slow. and how much would it be to fix it up.i will b looking at the threads to find some answer as well.
14 second 0-60!?!??! Are you sure you have a 2.5L? I am assuming you have an ATX.

Anyways, you shouldn't be worrying about performance at this point, you should be worried about fixing the problem you've got going on. 14 seconds to get you to 60MPH means something is very wrong.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
wow... yeah, if its taking 14seconds, you car is broken... (you using a stopwatch?)
EVEN an automatic shouldn't take more than 10.

Exactly how are you "launching" and what is the car doing as you are accelerating? (if its a manual, the clutch could be slipping... I know that was responsible for a 22second 1/4mile run I had a few years ago. :flushed: lol)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry goldie for post this in general info i didnt no were else to put it.........i have a auto and yes i used a stop watch.......but i had the car in neutral then reved the engine and put it in drive.....then it jerked and pulled a lil not really to hard.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i was just driving my cougar and it feels much better when its cold out side it feels a little faster on the accel.....
Colder intake air + cooler IMRC = better running car

sorry goldie for post this in general info i didnt no were else to put it.........i have a auto and yes i used a stop watch.......but i had the car in neutral then reved the engine and put it in drive.....then it jerked and pulled a lil not really to hard.

Don't do neutral drops, figure out a good way to launch so that you don't lose power, and then go full throttle. If it shifts below 6k you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
979 Posts
but i had the car in neutral then reved the engine and put it in drive.....then it jerked and pulled a lil not really to hard.
Thats the easiest way to destroy a transmittion. Thats not how you wanna do it.

read this about how to launch a modern car

Always start with the basic mods, intake, exhaust and headers.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,819 Posts
...but i had the car in neutral then reved the engine and put it in drive.....then it jerked and pulled a lil not really to hard.
:eek:

You have got to be kidding me...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yeah neutral drops are VERY bad, I used to launch my old atx using one foot on the break and another giving it a little gas, then let go of your break and floor it. This is also very rough on the car, espeically the breaks.

as far as mods go, do some searching but i/h/e make a pretty big difference.

·
8,582 Posts
Yeah neutral drops are VERY bad, I used to launch my old atx using one foot on the break and another giving it a little gas, then let go of your break and floor it. This is also very rough on the car, espeically the breaks.
It's also rough on the transmission. The term is "stalling". The documentation I got for the new transmission for the camper didn't say much about care and use, but it did mention not stalling it - if Jasper felt that was worth putting in otherwise sparse documentation, it must be pretty important.

531 Posts
all it does is put a beating on the torque converter because its trying to turn over this power being produced but your brakes are holding your tires still so the torque converter is at max saying why the **** aren't we going and jsut puts constint stress. UNLESS, you buy a upgraded performance T/C(torque conv.). i heard they cost as much as LSD's... I could be mistaken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts