New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do yall know what combination of springs would be ideal to have the gaps (if any) of the rear and the front to be the same or really close? And at the same time with out lowring the car tooo much like with the intrax??

I have gotten a kit and want to lower, but I really want to get rid of the front gap more than the rear becuase my sub unit seems to lower the rear a little bit also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Why not just get some coilovers? Either that or you could always just get springs for the front because there's not much wheel gab with the stock springs + the weight of your audio probably lowers it a bit more.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think coilovers would be the best option here.

On a side note...equal gap front and rear is something that is not "normal". On virtually every car, you will notice that the front "gap" is greater than the rear. This is because the rear whell well arch is lower than the front - the front arch is higher bacause, guess what...the wheels have to come out when turning. SO, when the front and rear are lowered the SAME amount, the gaps will LOOK different (because they are). To get the gaps the same, you would need different drop amounts - more in the front.

Check the image - the blue lines are showing level lins of the ground, the rocker panel and the wheel arch - on a STOCK cougar.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I read that about the front being larger gap than the rear - that is y some of the springs come with greater front lower than the rear to sort of compensate for it.

I though of coilovers initially - but I was told that if I go with coilovers I will have to go with koni's cause other than that, the ride would be to rough. I know konis are the "ideal" but they are WAY too much and dont want to cough up that much mony on just the shocks. Will coil overs (the ones on Ebay) work fine with the kyb?

What are yalls opinions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Originally posted by: Qdog002
Yeah. I read that about the front being larger gap than the rear - that is y some of the springs come with greater front lower than the rear to sort of compensate for it.

I though of coilovers initially - but I was told that if I go with coilovers I will have to go with koni's cause other than that, the ride would be to rough. I know konis are the "ideal" but they are WAY too much and dont want to cough up that much mony on just the shocks. Will coil overs (the ones on Ebay) work fine with the kyb?

What are yalls opinions?

Thanks.
Dude. Save up and get the GC/Koni combo. You don't wanna cheap out on this and end up doing the GC/Koni combo later. You'd be better off spending more money now, then going cheap and spending even MORE money later.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be great and dandy if I had a job during school.......but I dont. So the money I am using is from my internship this summer. So this is not like a long term mod set up thing. Just something nice and simple to add to the car. I am aonly going to have the car for 2 or 3 more years then im getting a new one.

So I do not want to pay that much for the GC/Koni set up.

So am looking for a "ok" alternative. One that will just do the job.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any body know where to get good priced H&R springs??

Also searchign online I find that there seem to be 2 types - the sport with 1.5f&1.4r and regular with 1.3 allaround. Is this the way its suppsoe to be? Which do all the folks here with H&R springs have?

·
Registered
90 Posts
if u get springs or coilovers it is recommended that u replace your struts.. and believe the last five cars i didnt follow that guide line, and i payed for it, so yes the 'OK' alternative would be to get eibach sport springs (1.25'' all around): $225 and kyb gr-2 gas struts: $75 for a set of two, so that $375 for everything.. thats ur most suitable option.. any questions? also u can get 16'' or 17'' rims to help clost the gap

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Rims won't help close the gap between the tire and the body. If done properly, the rim/tire combo will yield a virtually identical overall height. The change will only be perceived - because the larger diameter wheel uses a lower profile tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.