New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm overseas in Italy and want to spend $33K max on a new car (still keep the cougar). What do you think is a good car? I can get good discounts on BMWs, Volvos, and Saabs ($4K-$5K off MSRP). Keep in mind I have 2 children. The 3-series seems to small, and still expensive with a discount. The Volvo S60 R (300hp, AWD) comes nicely loaded at $32,800, but a large turning radius. Not too interested in the Saabs. Anything else to consider?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alfa Romeo........GTA....:)

Volvo S60R is way to go ,however, might be hard to get it here, as far as conversion goes, unless you order it to US specs.....:) might get your pretty decent gas milage too...(on the five cilinder it is..), whereabouts in Italy, east, near Venice I presume....as there are some bases there ?!!?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
If size weren't the issue i'd say get an '05 Mini Cooper-S.

The S60R twin turbo is super hot. And how bad can the turning radius be? worse than the cougars??

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
out of BMW, Volvo, and Saab's current offering, I go with a 325i Touring. Fits your situation best - you can pack a lot of crap in the wagon. plus it is a BMW so you don't sacrafice any handling or driving fun.

If you are not into wagon, then Volvo S60R. AWD+300hp+6 speed = lots of fun. Plus S60 is not a bad looking car and is a bit bigger than the 3 series.

Others to consider... how about an Audi?

whatever you do, just make sure you order US-spec car so you can bring it back when your current tour is over.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have to say go with the new 2004 Nissan Maxima with a six speed. I believe 265 ponies. Four Door Sports Car.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: kodyvan19
I would have to say go with the new 2004 Nissan Maxima with a six speed. I believe 265 ponies. Four Door Sports Car.
hes over in Italy there bud...... do they even HAVE nissans over there? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Nissan sells cars in Europe. The Maxima is NOT available. The biggest car would be the Nissan Primera, which is about the size of a Ford Contour. Very small engines. Why would anyone buy a Nissan or any Japanese car in Europe?

I agree with Miez. Alfa Romeo 156 GTA would be my first choice. But its more than 33k USD I believe... even equipped with the regular 6-speed iinstead of the Salespeed clutchless manual. Worth looking into it even if you likely won't be able to import it into the United States.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nissan actuall BUILDS care in Europe, in the UK to be precize

Maxima, as Maxima QX, btw, is sold in Europe, in The Netherlands for sure.. -> Maxima QX

edited to include proper link format...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
but the point he why would be get a Nissan when he is in Italy? The whole point is to buy a nice US spec Euro car and get a VAT refund. I don't think you can buy a US spec Nissan in Europe.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can get any Volvo in US spec. I'm located about 45 min NE of Venice
Originally posted by: Miez
Alfa Romeo........GTA....:)

Volvo S60R is way to go ,however, might be hard to get it here, as far as conversion goes, unless you order it to US specs.....:) might get your pretty decent gas milage too...(on the five cilinder it is..), whereabouts in Italy, east, near Venice I presume....as there are some bases there ?!!?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The turning radius on the S60R is like 42 ft. The cougar is more like 35 ft
Originally posted by: Neil
If size weren't the issue i'd say get an '05 Mini Cooper-S.

The S60R twin turbo is super hot. And how bad can the turning radius be? worse than the cougars??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, not into a wagon except Audi's, but they have poor reliability.
Originally posted by: bzcat
out of BMW, Volvo, and Saab's current offering, I go with a 325i Touring. Fits your situation best - you can pack a lot of crap in the wagon. plus it is a BMW so you don't sacrafice any handling or driving fun.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't get a US spec Nissan here, just Euro models. I can get US spec Hondas and Toyotas, but they sell for MSRP plus shipping ($1500-$2K) - i.e., no deals. I can get an American car for a decent price, but then pay shipping ($1500-$2K).
Originally posted by: kodyvan19

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could import a 156 GTA to the US, but the conversion would cost like $4K. I'll pass.
Originally posted by: Fern
Nissan sells cars in Europe. The Maxima is NOT available. The biggest car would be the Nissan Primera, which is about the size of a Ford Contour. Very small engines. Why would anyone buy a Nissan or any Japanese car in Europe?

I agree with Miez. Alfa Romeo 156 GTA would be my first choice. But its more than 33k USD I believe... even equipped with the regular 6-speed iinstead of the Salespeed clutchless manual. Worth looking into it even if you likely won't be able to import it into the United States.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is a VAT refund? I'm considering the BMW, Saab, or Volvo because I can get them much cheaper ($4k - $7k) over here and don't have to pay tax on any car I purchase while overseas. For example, a BMW M3 for me starts at a little over $41K.
Originally posted by: bzcat
but the point he why would be get a Nissan when he is in Italy? The whole point is to buy a nice US spec Euro car and get a VAT refund. I don't think you can buy a US spec Nissan in Europe.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You pay for a car in Italy VAT, which you should't pay as you're exporting the vehicle back to the US.....I don't know the percentage of VAT on a ITALIAN sold vehicle, however, its refundable, unless you purchase your vehicle on the "compound", which I presume you are, as you're located 45 min NE of Venice, yeah, I know my way around there a little bit....;)

I would consider an M3, as they're LESS RESTRICTED than US version, e.g. AUDI S4 (2002 model) 250 HP USA, whereas EUR version is 265 HP, BMW will be about the same.....

If you're gonna be in ITALY for a period > 1yr, I would seriously consider getting a diesel engine, e.g. BMW 6 banger in Diesel, saves you tonns on $$ and you can get anywhere cheap in Europe, as diesel is dirt cheap compared to regular gasoline...again, just my $0,02, and only my perception, as I only lived in Europe for about 27 years...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Problem is that European Deisel fuel is not the same as North American Deisel fuel. Low-sulfur diesel will be available in the North America in 2006. That's why Ford is delaying a Focus diesel model until 2007. Many manufacturers are waiting until that time to introduce diesel models. It seems that Daimler-Chrysler will swallow the cost of converting Mercedes deisels for use in Jeeps to establish their new diesel models by being earlier than the others.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, Value Added Tax, yeah I won't have to pay that. There are dealers here that sell US spec to Americans only overseas at factory direct prices, which is why it's cheaper over here. No M3-too expensive, no room. I'm not worried about gas prices either as I get military coupons that give me the same price for gas as in the US. Diesel fuel is only about 20% cheaper than regular, but you do get much better mileage. I'm not interested in a diesel tho.
Originally posted by: Miez
You pay for a car in Italy VAT, which you should't pay as you're exporting the vehicle back to the US.....I don't know the percentage of VAT on a ITALIAN sold vehicle, however, its refundable, unless you purchase your vehicle on the "compound", which I presume you are, as you're located 45 min NE of Venice, yeah, I know my way around there a little bit....;)

I would consider an M3, as they're LESS RESTRICTED than US version, e.g. AUDI S4 (2002 model) 250 HP USA, whereas EUR version is 265 HP, BMW will be about the same.....

If you're gonna be in ITALY for a period > 1yr, I would seriously consider getting a diesel engine, e.g. BMW 6 banger in Diesel, saves you tonns on $$ and you can get anywhere cheap in Europe, as diesel is dirt cheap compared to regular gasoline...again, just my $0,02, and only my perception, as I only lived in Europe for about 27 years...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
is turning radius a big deal on the base? I can see that being a problem is the small roads in most European cities but 42ft is not a problem when you bring the car home. Maybe that is something you need to live with.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Turning radius is more of an annoyance. The car won't be as nimble. You won't be able to swing into parking spots as easy. It'll be something I'll have to live with if I get the S60R.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts