New Cougar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I'm interested in the Maverick. I've kind of cooled my jets on buying a new car over the last couple of weeks and practicality is starting to make me question buying a Miata right now. I was thinking seriously about a Frontier but now I'll keep an eye on this truck to see where it lands in size and price.
The Ranger is a really nice looking truck but the price point is more than I would like and I wouldn't mind it being a bit smaller. If its true that it will only be available in a "Supercrew" that might turn me off though.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
They've been teasing it for ~a year now. As someone who loved the Ford Ranger I was really looking forward to them bringing back a small truck, only for it to be longer and taller than a base F150 so no excitement here until I see the finished product... There's plenty of photos of them wrapped up floating around though, and it supposedly will be a pickup version of the "Bronco Sport" which is a boxy bodied "Escape" so I'd expect it to follow suit mechanically.

Bringing back the Lightning name for an Electric truck is a no brainer, and while it is cool and potentially very fast, I would be stranded by it several times a month because the range is so low and current batteries I've seen in Teslas etc lose another ~30% in Michigan winters. Last time I used a truck as a truck (2 weeks ago) it involved a 700 mile trip fully loaded with most of a Mercury Marquis, and the range on the new one is drastically reduced if it's actually towing with estimates under 100miles.
Myself I don't remember the last time I more than 200 miles. My daily commute is 6 miles total, on weekends I put on maybe 100 miles at most... Plus, with DC fast charging you can get most of a battery pack charged in like 40 minutes or something.

That Maverick looks, eh. Unibody pickups have a hard time in the US market. They have a dedicated following, but it's very very small. The Honda Ridgeline is the only real competition in that space currently and they're selling around 20k a year. Ford definitely wouldn't do this as it's own car and I guarantee that there will be a lot of shared parts between the Bronco Sport and the Maverick.

Heh, in a way, the Maverick is kind of the eventual ancestor of the Cougar Utility that one guy built. The CDW27 inspired a lot of the tech on the 1st gen Escape, the Escape eventually evolved into the current platform that the Bronco Sport came from, which is being flexed to a unibody truck.

·
5,296 Posts
Just watched the 3 minute Maverick video. Starts at $20K. Even for a base as base can be model, that's a pretty incredible price for new in 2021. There will be a ton of shared parts, shared platform, etc. etc. It looks pretty great for a suburban "I need to pick up mulch or plywood twice a year" and "tow my quad or JetSki in the summer" but don't want to park something twenty feet long. We'll see if Ford is reading the market right.

Still gonna miss a darn sedan though.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Low price could be a good draw but I'll bet a low towing capacity will drive away a lot of mid-sized truck shoppers. They might have done better sticking with some variant of the Bronco name to market it as a small offroader with pickup utility.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,675 Posts
Rated to tow 4000 lbs, so it ain’t bad.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Oh, I expected more like 2000 like the BS.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,675 Posts
I was just watching Doug DeMuro's review as I was reading this, and he quoted a figure of 4000, so that's the only reason I offered that.

·
5,296 Posts
Oh, I expected more like 2000 like the BS.
From Car and Driver...
Even with the base hybrid powertrain, the Maverick offers 1500 pounds of payload capacity and 2000 pounds of towing capacity.
To get 4000 pounds, you need the optional 2.0L turbocharged engine, and the tow package.
To unlock the Maverick's maximum towing capacity of 4000 pounds, we'd also order the $745 Tow package.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Rear engine.jpg

This is damn tempting.
I had been contemplating putting the guts from my Zn into a more conventional T-bucket but this could work too. And probably save me some time and money.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
A part of me has always wanted to build a Cougar powered mid engine Locost 7.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
A part of me has always wanted to build a Cougar powered mid engine Locost 7.
That would be super fun. I see a lot of Zetecs on those.
I wish those cars were just a little less ugly.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,675 Posts
Just saw a Caterham with a turbo Zetec inside at the last autocross event.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Ford has the "Build and equip" feature active for the Maverick. The lowest level I would buy comes out to about $27k and the fully equipped Lariat with everything I would want comes out to just under $36k.
That's pretty impressive.
They even offer Ford cross-rails for the bed. Not sure how useful they would be since its only a 4 1/2 foot bed so I dont think you could haul a 4x8 sheet even with the rails, but its still a neat feature.

·
5,296 Posts
Ford has the "Build and equip" feature active for the Maverick. The lowest level I would buy comes out to about $27k and the fully equipped Lariat with everything I would want comes out to just under $36k.
That's pretty impressive.
They even offer Ford cross-rails for the bed. Not sure how useful they would be since its only a 4 1/2 foot bed so I dont think you could haul a 4x8 sheet even with the rails, but its still a neat feature.
Car and Driver said:
Still, Ford says the Maverick bed will accommodate the industry-standard 4x8 sheets of plywood, if they go on top of the wheelhouses and you set the tailgate to its “propping up plywood” angle.
Pretty sure I saw that in the video as well.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Pretty sure I saw that in the video as well.
Interesting, I'll have to check it out. I guess if you just let it overhang 2 feet than it should be doable. Thats not the end of the world as long you plan accordingly.

·
5,296 Posts
If I remember the video correctly, the tail gate can be set at an angle where the edge is the same height at as the wheelhouses, so supports the end of the sheets. A compromise, I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·

Yeah, that looks like how they're pitching it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So it is larger than the old Ranger, has less bed space than the old Ranger while seating the same number of people, and costs more... ($25,486.56 for a loaded 4wd supercab after accounting for inflation for the 1991 we had) It has more towing capacity if you get the packages, but still too low for almost anything I've needed to tow in the last decade. Hybrid efficiency is nice but I actually keep my cars more than a year, so maintenance remains to be seen on that.

I've always preferred a truck for less money and more functionality at the expense of creature comforts. I would snatch up one of these in a heartbeat if I could find one here:

101 - 120 of 128 Posts