New Cougar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 124 Abarths are fun. My brother preferred driving it over cars many times more expensive at his previous job. The Lexus LC500 still took the crown, but that goes without saying... Miata's also have ready made kits or entire drop in Duratec V6s available so they would be something you're already familiar with.

Don't forget these are on the way:

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,423 Posts
We will have to drive the new brz/86 when it does come out (assuming we havent found a blue 124 abarth already) but I dont have high hopes considering how bad the current one is (we found it to be pretty terrible in basically every way).

The Z is just going to be too much engine (and likely not great fuel economy) for our needs but hopefully will at least spur the smaller sports car market some more (and maybe entice the Zupra to add a manual trans). We would be better off to just drive the VR4 and save the $35k+ for maintenance and mods.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Haven't been on for a good while now. Right now My 2008 Lexus GX470 is my future overlanding project. Everything I want in a SUV with a Landcruiser Prado suspension. The Cougar has been gone for a while now. Head gasket was gonna need done , so it went to the auction a while ago.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Tried to test drive an RF on Saturday but it didn't go well.
The car was advertised as silver but when I got there it was a light gray and really not my thing.
Decided to drive it anyway because...duh, of course I'm gonna drive it.
Got out into traffic on the main road and the gas light instantly came on. This dealer was a good 10-15 minutes away from the nearest highway, and in an area I'm not familiar with so my test drive consisted of ten minutes in heavy traffic on a main road. Lame.
This car had a BBS/Brembo package which, on paper, should be the sweet spot but unfortunately I found the Recaro seat that comes with this package to be really uncomfortable. No way I would want to put serious time in that seat in a single shot.
So I don't know if an ND Miata is in my future or not. I'm going to test a Grand Touring model before I give up on them in hopes that the leather seats will be better than the Recaro's but I might have to give up on this dream for a while.
Might just find a mid-sized pickup...

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,423 Posts
Those are the worst test drives and we have had a few of them recently. The GLI we drove the dealer didnt want us to go very far because they "didnt want to put many miles on it".

Its interesting that you didnt like the Recaros. I found the Recaros in the 124 Abarth (I assume they are the same as the ones in the Miata but maybe not) to be more comfortable than the standard seats in the RF Grand Touring. I found that the side bolsters in the RF pushed into my back too much (although not as bad as the Civic SI seats).

Edit:. The most comfortable seats we have sat in were definitely those in the M2.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Drove one nearly identical to this last night. GT model in dark metallic grey with an auburn leather.
It was pretty much the most perfect thing man has ever put on four wheels. The seats were like lazy-boys compared to the Cougar and I could easily sit in them all day long.
The one I drove has a slight smoke smell on the interior so I'm going to throw them a lowball offer. If I dont buy this one, I'm going to look for one just like it...I'm in love.

·
Administrator
15,539 Posts
For about $50 you can buy an ozone generator that will take care of that smoke smell in about 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
The dealer swears he will get the smell out. He mentioned the Ozone bombs. I actually think they probably already tried. the car interior had clearly been detailed already. Unfortunately, I think ash can get embedded in the fabrics and behind the plastics and the smell never really goes away until the ash is gone.

BUT

Its a very mild smell that I will be willing to work with myself if they take my low-ball offer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was in talks to purchase an 88' Mk3 7M-GTE last month, but it didn't work out. They decided the car was worth more than other nicer examples and decided to keep it when they couldn't get their asking price.

·
Administrator
15,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Yeah, used car prices don't make any sense right now. Even that Miata I'm looking at is just barely below the price of a new one. If there were any new ones to be found I would be crazy to be even thinking about this one. I might end up ordering a '22 and just wait.
Another thing I've noticed while car shopping is Mini-vans seem to have disappeared completely. In the past, there were tons of them on every lot but now its nothing but SUV's and Trucks.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Well, they didnt take my lowball offer and I have to say I'm not sad about it. The more I processed this whole thing the more I realized it makes zero sense to spend $30k for a used Miata when a brand new one can be had for $35k at a lower interest rate.
I've also cooled my jets a little and decided I'm perfectly happy to wait another few weeks if that's what it takes to get a new one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not much of a corvette guy, but the Green one is pretty slick. The one in the body booth will be impressive when it's done too from the concept renders and the glass work underway but I can't share...

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Just placed a reservation for an F-150 Lightning, so I suppose you could say I'm drooling over that, but I'm actually not too excited about it, I've just been looking to move to a full blown truck or an electric vehicle, and while the cyber truck tickles the part of me that's still an 8 year old doodling in a notebook, the Lightning actually looks good in a non-cartoon-y fashion.

·
5,296 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to put it, but...

there's gonna be a new Ford Maverick !? And it's gonna be a truck?

Ford Maverick

·
Registered
145 Posts
They've been teasing it for ~a year now. As someone who loved the Ford Ranger I was really looking forward to them bringing back a small truck, only for it to be longer and taller than a base F150 so no excitement here until I see the finished product... There's plenty of photos of them wrapped up floating around though, and it supposedly will be a pickup version of the "Bronco Sport" which is a boxy bodied "Escape" so I'd expect it to follow suit mechanically.

Bringing back the Lightning name for an Electric truck is a no brainer, and while it is cool and potentially very fast, I would be stranded by it several times a month because the range is so low and current batteries I've seen in Teslas etc lose another ~30% in Michigan winters. Last time I used a truck as a truck (2 weeks ago) it involved a 700 mile trip fully loaded with most of a Mercury Marquis, and the range on the new one is drastically reduced if it's actually towing with estimates under 100miles.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts