New Cougar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
8,564 Posts
i turned everything off except adaptive cruise and reverse traffic warnings. My truck slammed on the brakes when a semi got a little close in a corner. Eff all that
Twice I set off the alert, but not the actual braking for the collision alert thing. In both cases, I'd gotten a little close to a car in front of me that was turning, so I understood why it went off and just backed off a bit. Haven't seen it since.

Holy **** the blind spot monitoring is irritating. The first problem is that the "alarm" sound in the car grates on me like nothing else. The first time I heard it was when we were taking delivery of the car, and I outright asked, "What's wrong with it?" Nothing, that's just the sound it makes. Ugh. (Lesson learned, start the car myself next time.) So, I'll be sitting the right lane of a dual left-turn lane, minding my own business, turn signal on, generally trying to be an attentive, safe driver...then the light turns green, and I start moving. There's an incredible SHRIEKING noise from the car. It thinks I'm about to merge into the car next to me. The first few times it happened I seriously thought there was something wrong with the car. Now I'm slowly learning to ignore the car's alarms.

Back when we commuted to work, we went through one of these intersections, so I got to hear it practically every day. One good thing about the global pandemic is the torture of driving that thing isn't inflicted upon me nearly as often.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
And this is why Alpine won't bother with the US market, because they don't want that crap in their car either...
Cracking the US market is an expensive proposition for a small company. Aside from the expense of building and testing the cars to our standard to get that little door sticker, they also need to create distribution and a sales infrastructure. Thats a big risk for a market that doesnt historically buy a lot of cars in that segment. Especially with a French marque.
Even the major manufacturers who already have a presence here aren't interested in trying to sell us cars that segment for the most part.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,421 Posts
We have noticed the extremely irritating alarms on a lot of newer cars for the blind spot and lane keep assists since we have been looking for a new commuter for the other half. Its been tough as our requirements basically mean there is nothing newer but we dont have the space for two (potential) projects (the VR4 gets that "spot"). It needs to be small to fit in her downtown parking garage spot (the 03 Mazda6 just barely fits with a 3 point turn to get in), 30+ hwy mpg, manual trans, quick enough to get onto the 55+ highway without getting run over (5% grade uphill across 2 lanes of traffic with no merge lane where everyone is really doing 65). Our elevation (~7500ft) means anything naturally aspirated that could be decent (like a Miata) is just extremely anemic and too slow (the lack of torque doesnt help how it feels to drive either). The biggest struggle is that we refuse to own any car that is a "shade of grey" (white, silver, grey, black, or anything in between) as we both hate those "colors". We dont really want red either so finding anything that fits the other requirements AND comes in blue/green/orange/yellow has been extremely difficult. She loves the 124 Spider Abarth but finding a blue one in good condition is next to impossible.

After all these test drives of cars with those alarms, I'm so glad the used XE we bought last fall didnt come with all the extra nanny crap. It does have blind spot monitoring but there is no obnoxious alarm, just an indicator on the mirrors, and it will flash the indicators rapidly if someone is coming up behind me quickly in the next lane.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Sounds like you need to test out a good used Fiesta ST.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Sounds like you need to test out a good used Fiesta ST.
It does sound like exactly the car he was describing LOL.
My kid is living in CO Springs now with hers and she is still very happy with it. She put on snow tires for the winter and says it did great.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,421 Posts
Oh yeah, we dont like really like hatch backs with looks (she hates the look of the Fiesta), visibility, and seating position as some of our major complaints. Obviously this makes it even more difficult since the hot hatch has taken over the small car segment. We have driven a 500 Abarth and a F56 Cooper JCW, and while both are fun, neither made us want to spend the money on one.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Huh, different strokes I guess. My wife LOVED her 500 Abarth and SVT Focus, and is currently daily-driving the Focus ST. We both love our beater R53 Cooper S, too. We're a hatchback family, LOL.

·
8,564 Posts
quick enough to get onto the 55+ highway without getting run over (5% grade uphill across 2 lanes of traffic with no merge lane where everyone is really doing 65). Our elevation (~7500ft) means anything naturally aspirated that could be decent (like a Miata) is just extremely anemic and too slow
This is pretty much my gripe with the 3, and we're near 0 feet elevation. Off the line it's not bad...it's not going to punch you, but it does all right. But when merging, it's a little scary. Merging uphill into 65 mph traffic with a short merge area is no fun at all.

The V6 Accord it replaced ...I had no idea how good we had it. When I stepped on the gas pedal in that thing for merging or passing, it'd kick down a gear and launch. Just over 270 HP made a difference, even though it was heavy (~4K lbs). It was almost scary how fast it could accelerate. I assumed new cars would be at least that good, but instead they've gone for efficiency and weighed 'em down (the 3 weighs more than my Cougar). What a disappointment.

They did come out with a turbocharged 3 this year that should offer performance comparable to the V6 Accord (a few less horses, but it also weighs less). However, then I'd worry about range - we gave up some range with the 3, and a turbo 3 would presumably drink more fuel, reducing the range further.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Welp. Based on previous discussion of what you (TZT) like and don't like, I think there's only one legitimate option left:

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
It seems like maybe the 2011-2015 timeframe might be the sweet spot for newer cars with minimal automatic features.

I still hate the idea of everything being FBW controlled and cars having aggressive limp modes or shutdowns at the slightest hint of something wrong, but I think you have to go back to the Cougar era to get past those days.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,421 Posts
Welp. Based on previous discussion of what you (TZT) like and don't like, I think there's only one legitimate option left:

View attachment 81578
I think you missed the part where size is a problem. The Taycan is huge compared to our Mazda 6. The 718 Cayman would be more appropriate but they are still too pricey.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)

Gas powered it is then!

Oh wait...$$

I know you shot it down before, but the VAG TDI's are fantastic. A Jetta or A3 or A4 would make a perfect all weather commuter.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,421 Posts
We already have an all weather diesel commuter in the Jag XE (20d awd) and dont need a second one as we are both allowed to work from home as needed (she is actually full time remote at the moment anyways so we can take our time finding the right car). Everything gets snow tires (even the VR4 has snow tires) and the major roads are plowed before we have to leave the house so driven wheels doesnt really matter.

We have driven a new GLI recently (only Jetta that is reasonably quick enough but it turns out the GLI doesnt come in any fun colors anyways) and previously drove an A3 and A4 (before buying the XE) and they honestly felt like "15ft of some car", nothing inspiring what so ever about them and very bland styling (in our opinion).

For reference here is a list of cars we have driven recently (some prior to buying the Jag but most in the last month or so)
500 Abarth ('16 manual), A3 ('17 DCT), A4 ('15 manual), A5 ('13? manual), CLA250 ('17 DCT), CL45 AMG ('16 DCT), Jetta GLI ('21 manual), 230i ('20 auto), M2 ('16 manual), Supra ('21 4cyl auto), BRZ ('21 manual), 718 Boxster T ('21 manual), Miata RF ('21 manual), 124 Spider Abarth ('18 manual), Elantra N-line ('21 manual), Cooper S 2-door hardtop ('15 manual), Cooper JCW 2-door hardtop ('18 manual), Z4 sDrive28i ('13 manual).

There is probably a few others prior to buying the Jag that I am forgetting (they obviously weren't memorable). The M2 and 718 were really just for fun, although the M2 has now ended up on our list of cars we would love to own at some point (a 718 was already on it), it doesnt really fit what we need (or can afford) right now.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

Currently at #3 on my project wish list. Might move up a rung soon if I keep obsessing over it...
In a perfect world I would have it on the road by summer of 2024 but that might be out of reach.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Currently at #3 on my project wish list. Might move up a rung soon if I keep obsessing over it...
In a perfect world I would have it on the road by summer of 2024 but that might be out of reach.
Welp. I think this build officially moved up to be my next project yesterday. Time to start looking for an LS transmission!

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
YEAH, RF is where it’s at.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,421 Posts
Eh, I dont like the front end of the Miata, maybe its the small headlights or the large grill but something seems off about it to me, although the RF hard top portion does look good. I much prefer the retro styling of the 124 Spider. I think the ND also feels anemic and slow but that may be from being at altitude (there is ~15% power loss on an NA engine in the Denver area and we live ~2200ft higher still).

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
The Fiat's are cute enough...they have a more traditional look I think. Sort of bringing it back to the MG/Triumph (or Fiat) inspired styling that Mazda has gotten away from gradually.
For the traditional convertible model, I would have to drive them both to choose between them.
The RF is in a totally different world though. When I see a standard ND Miata on the road my reaction is wildly different than when I see an RF.

As for gutless...Well, I've been driving a stock 2.5l cougar for 20 years so... :ROFLMAO:
I love Corvettes too but I'm not an aggressive driver and I would be highly unlikely to ever get anywhere near the limits of even a C5 or C6 corvette except for maybe springing for a track day once or twice. It's a shame to have such a fine piece of machinery be totally wasted like that.

A Miata can really allow a driver and a car to make the most of each other without becoming one with a guard rail.

Plus there's always Turbo.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
I would love to test out a 124 Spider Abarth; I loved that little power plant in the 500 Abarth, and I imagine it would be way more rewarding in a RWD chassis. Being 6'4", the entire platform is kind of a non-starter for me. I was able to squeeze into a Spider at the auto show, but the MX5 was not happening.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts