New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have an amp that is suited for 8 guage wiring, and I'm hooking up a cap to it, using 4 guage wiring, but it doesn't seem to fit because the 4 guage is to thick. What are the connectors called that I can use to hook up the 4 guage to the amp.. I can't seem to find any in hardware stores either.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you still want to use the 4 awg, just shave back some of the wire to about the size of 8 gauge then stick it in. About 3/4 of an inch should be enough.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
so you're running 8 guage wire from the battery to the cap, then 4 guage wire from the cap to the amp? Why? You should be consistent with the wire size you use in the entire system. The same goes for the ground wire. If you use 8 guage power wire, you should use 8 guage ground wire. Also, I don't see how it can't fit on the amp..aren't you getting a terminal connector and crimping it to the 4 guage wire, then 'bolting' it to the amp?

Mike

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i am assuming that your amp doesnt accept spades or rings but if you want to run 4 awg from your cap to your amp that only accepts 8 awg then i would go and buy a terminal that looks alot like a Butt Connector for the 4 AWG...it has an end that will accept the 4AWG and the other end is reduced to the size of an 8 awg wire but is solid..the only ones i could find were at one of my local shops for 20$ CND..and they were made by TSUNAMI and they only came in platinum coated...hope that helps..sorry i dont know the name of them either..i was in the same boat then i just opted to run an 8 awg from my cap to my amp...it really doesnt matter that much anyway<---so long as the distance isnt much more then a foot..

C

·
0 Posts
If your amp can only take an 8 guage input, then chances are it doesn't have a big enough current draw to warrant 4 guage wire. So what's the point in using 4 guage? If nothing else, run 4 guage to the cap, then 8 guage from the cap to the amp. Do NOT put the distribution block before the cap and run one wire to the cap and one to the amp. The cap is supposed to be wired in series with the amp. So you need to have a wire going from the battery to the cap, and then from the cap to the amp. Or from the battery to the cap, from the cap to a distribution block, and from the distribution block to the amp(s).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ill second CatMan's opinion. but like 99 coug says, you should be able to find a quick disconnect for the 4 gauge that will connect to the amp. what size amp are you using that wont hold a 4 gauge. IF its a small amp you wont need that big of a wire setup, i had 1500 watts running with an 8 gauge and had no problems even with a cap so dont overload unless you need to

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
actually it's less efficient running a wire that is too big not to mention more expensive :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts