New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody !

Please, I would to know your opinion about what are the brand of the most smooth and comfortable low springs for the Cougar.

In other words, I look for low springs with the most similar smooth and comfort of the original spec springs. ( I know that low springs implies always a harder suspension).

In the past, I have installed in my Cougar a COBRA low springs (-40 mm, part number 2874, specific model for the 2.5 Cougar) with original specs Monroe shock absorvers, and the result is that the suspension car became extreme hard, every time I passed over a pothole in the road the car seemed to break in two.

-I only look for aestethic (low car), the better performance of the srpings is secondary in this particular case.-
My car is a 1998 Ford Cougar 2.5.

So, what are, in yor opinion, the brand of the most smooth and comfortable low springs for the Cougar?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

·
Administrator
11,733 Posts
I don't know if you can still get them, but Eibach made a lowering spring set that is pretty compliant for daily driving even on some trash roads and most inclines. The biggest complaint people had with them is they make the rear look like it sags while the front has gap when it's actually leveled the drop. I wouldn't be surprised if this kit was replicated by a company and on ebay. I'm personally not thrilled with the look.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,979 Posts
You will want to look for a PROGRESSIVE spring. Those will have the coils spaced further apart on part of the spring, and closer together on the rest. The wide coil gaps handle more gentle changes in suspension, while the tighter coils only come into play on harsh changes.

LINEAR springs (have the same coil gaps top to bottom) will always have a harsher ride. Those Cobra springs appear to have a progressive rear spring and a linear front.

Reactions: fordV6cougar

·
5,342 Posts
I have the Eibach ProKit springs that JScullin mentioned, they are fairly comfortable, I would have no issues with them as a daily driver as long as your roads aren't too rough. Definitely rougher than OEM, but not bad. I don't mind the appearance, there is a larger gap in the front, but you can see that in JScullin's pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if you can still get them, but Eibach made a lowering spring set that is pretty compliant for daily driving even on some trash roads and most inclines. The biggest complaint people had with them is they make the rear look like it sags while the front has gap when it's actually leveled the drop. I wouldn't be surprised if this kit was replicated by a company and on ebay. I'm personally not thrilled with the look.

View attachment 82448 View attachment 82449
I have the Eibach ProKit springs that JScullin mentioned, they are fairly comfortable, I would have no issues with them as a daily driver as long as your roads aren't too rough. Definitely rougher than OEM, but not bad. I don't mind the appearance, there is a larger gap in the front, but you can see that in JScullin's pictures.

Thank you so much for your replies, very useful for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will want to look for a PROGRESSIVE spring. Those will have the coils spaced further apart on part of the spring, and closer together on the rest. The wide coil gaps handle more gentle changes in suspension, while the tighter coils only come into play on harsh changes.

LINEAR springs (have the same coil gaps top to bottom) will always have a harsher ride. Those Cobra springs appear to have a progressive rear spring and a linear front.

Thank you so much, very precious your information.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
OEM. They are all over 20 years old now and most likely sagging by at least 1/2". If thats not low enough for you, you could cut them down a bit.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,979 Posts
I was always very happy with the ride on my Roush springs. They were very similar to the Eibach kit. Sporty, firm ride but not harsh or crashy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you so much to all for your replies, very helpful.

To this point, I would go for the Eibach, but seems they are very hard to find now.
The Vogtland springs are available.

If someone more have the Vogtland lowering springs, can let me know kindly your opinion about the smooth and comfort of these?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whenever you do get the springs and change them out make sure you keep the spring insulators. I did it all with hand tools and a scissor jack on a steep hill and it took about 4 hrs. I'd recommend new struts as well

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also if you do lower it you may need this I didn't and now I have a degree of negative camber in the front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts