New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ames IA, which is about 40 mi North of Des Moines IA. I was headed to work in DM and running a little behind so I was doing about 80mph. I had a chevy astro van about 5-6 car lengths in front of me doing about the same speed. I had been following him for about 10 min when out of no where, the semi in front of the van blew a tire. The tire shot over the van and landed in front of me while I was doing 80mph. I swerved to miss the tire and ended up going sideways down the interstate. Then I turned to correct the sideways slide and my ***** pulled right out like it was nothing. It was insane, it was like the car was not out of control at all. Of course right after I had to call my pop and tell him all about it. My ***** is still completely stock, talk about nice suspension. NO TRACTION CONTROL!

Albino Chicken Ames Thunder Cats

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Hell yeah! thats awesome man! I am glad you where able to pull out of that!

I must say the cougar does have EXCELLENT recovery. Unlike my old 2nd gen eclipse which would would have spun out!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
yea one time I lost control of the car at about 75. It spun sideways, and I was able to turn the wheel so that it straightened right back up. The only thing I suffered was a bent rim. heh

Mike

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by: vSpanky
jeeze, that's pretty scary! If you had any damage done to your car the semi (the company) would pay for it (they have insurance for that kind of stuff)

v

actually that's not true. had a rock fly out of a truck and crack my parents window. called the company, said tough luck. talked to police and they said noting they can do it's part of using the roads.

Albino, Where do you work in DSM? never had a situation like yours but I had to take a nice road home every night from work and it was fun when it was just myself out there.

·
Rockin' Mom-mobile
8,010 Posts
A thrown rock is considered an act of God and not recoverable. A blown tire is considered not maintaining vehicle (They are suppose to inspect tires before taking truck out on road.) and is recoverable.

albino chicken, I checked out your site and I've seen where you all have posted in newbies, I just wanted to say your family rocks! I think it's cool how you all went out and got black cats.

·
Registered
954 Posts
So you were sliding sideways at 80 mph? wow...

Kinda related to earlier convos - my g/f's mother has a sweet 02' Denali and an oncoming vehicle launched a rock at her windshield...i would think that insurance would cover that for the most part...she has to pay 100 dollars. I'd be mad, some stranger's tire throws a rock at my windshield and I gotta shell out money...insurance seems screwed up...don't know a whole lot about insurance but is that unusual to have to pay 100 dollars out of your own pocket?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had my contour sideways at 80 once, due to my stupidity.

i recovered fine and got away with no damage at all.

tought me a lesson!!

·
8,550 Posts
A couple years ago, I hit a piece of scrap sheet metal that flew out of the back of a pickup truck a couple lanes over from me. It came down right in front of me. I was on a bridge that has no berm on the side (Woodrow Wilson bridge on I-95 in VA/MD), so there wasn't any room to maneuver.

It did some damage to my bumper and lower skirt, which had to be replaced. When the shop got it on the lift to do that work, they discovered it was leaking oil, because the metal had taken out a piece of the oil pan. What was a $350 repair job turned into over $1000, plus the rental car for a week. (I'm glad I didn't put off that repair like I'd planned!)

Here's the annoying part: I got a description of the truck and the license plate, but the MD state police were entirely unhelpful when I tried to report it. They all but refused to even take a report. Fortunately, insurance covered the damage, except for my deductible.

--RJ

·
Registered
902 Posts
How would you like it if you went out to check your mail to find out that you have to pay for someones windshield because you were driving and minding your own business when a rock flew out from underneat your tire and hit their windshield...

·
8,550 Posts
Firebird, I agree with you -- a rock kicked up by my tires shouldn't be covered by my insurance; it's not like I was in control of that happening. I believe it's a risk of being on the road. vSpanky's father's company probably insures against it just to make it easy when someone calls and complains that a rock hit their vehicle. That way, they don't have to spend money trying to research the incident and fight it in court, instead they just submit the claim to the insurance company.

However, a rock coming out of the back of a truck is a different matter to me: it means the driver didn't secure his/her load properly, just like the piece of sheet metal that I hit.

--RJ

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: MetallicaCougs

albino chicken, I checked out your site and I've seen where you all have posted in newbies, I just wanted to say your family rocks! I think it's cool how you all went out and got black cats.
Totally... can't wait to meet them at Fest! :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts